First impressions of some Tudor/Rolex watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

First impressions of some Tudor/Rolex watches

Post by blowfish89 »

I went to a local AD today who stock Rolex and Tudor among several others (Nomos, Breguet, Blancpain, Cartier, Tag etc.). My main intention was to check out the Black Bays and Pelagos, but I couldn't resist trying on a couple of Rolexes too, all for the first time. I will aim to try out some of the other models/brands later, probably at a different AD where the staff are not indifferent. My initial impressions may also change with time, of course. Until now, all real-life impressions of watches have been more or less as to how I expected them to be from viewing pictures and reading reviews online. You may remember my jacket from my previous visit to the Omega boutique. I must make a point that the Rolex ADs with their dim lighting play down the flashy aspects of many blingy Rolexes, even the gold ones look decently okay in the room :)

First were the Black Bays - great fit for my wrist. The first thing I liked about the BBs was that the dial is domed down which is a detail not seen from the pics. I liked the red more than the blue, my gf liked the blue more, but I wouldn't buy either - I don't see the value. The red is well done with the vintage aesthetics, but I may prefer to buy a real vintage Tudor instead of the red Black Bay if I had to choose one. I also don't like the dial design of both Black Bays because of the fat snowflake hour hand and circular hour markers, they just don't go well together. I didn't think the Tudor bracelet was better than my C60 bracelet either, for instance, and the Oris Aquis definitely had a more solid feeling bracelet than either. One pet hate I have with all Rolex/Tudor bracelets is that they require fingernails to open easily and I keep biting mine off. The sales guy told me the Black Bay bezel is enamel, while the Pelagos bezel is titanium - dunno if this makes sense.

Next was the Tudor Pelagos. This watch IMO is the best value in the whole Rolex/Tudor line and is probably the only watch I have seen which is as impressive in person as pictures. I was surprised that it was lighter than the Black Bay (for a bigger watch). I still don't like the snowflake hour hand but atleast the hour markers work with them. The date window has a white background which is another of my pet hates. Even though I liked it, I don't like it enough to buy it. It wears quite large-ish and thick-ish (probably hypocritical since I was wearing my Stowa 1938 which is a thick watch), and Rolex is making it even thicker and more cluttered with the new upgrade. Hate the HEV valve too. As of now, I still prefer new Pelagos over old, but I would like to see one when it comes out. The primary reason why I wouldn't buy this is because of how much it reminded me of my Damasko. Both have very similar gunmetal grey colors, and the Damasko fits me better and has been with me for some time with a lot of strap options so I cannot sell it. The only thing the Pelagos has over the Damasko is the bracelet, and Damasko is releasing a bracelet for the DA44 in the summer, so that point is moot as well. The fact that it is lighter due to the Ti does not make a big difference to me, because I don't feel a significant difference in the weight between a Ti watch and steel watch on my wrist, and if I want it lighter, I'll just switch to a strap (or a smaller watch!). Bezel action on both the Black Bays and Pelagos is similar to the C60, nothing revolutionarily better.

Next I went over to Rolex, and asked for the 39mm Explorer I, which did absolutely nothing for me. This was a huge disappointment, I can't believe how many people like it given how much Rolex charge for it. I thought it was too small, too plain, the bracelet too thin/flimsy/narrow (similar to the Oris Aquis 40mm). I thought the minute hand was okay for reading time, but I knew it would bug me being on the shorter side because I knew of the issue. I immediately took this one off, and didn't even bother taking a picture. It wasn't worth the time.

Not all was lost however, as I tried on the Milgauss next. This is a watch I have always liked, and I happy to say they looked frigging great in person and fit me well 8). I love the curves on the case, and the wild seconds hand, and the orange markers were pretty nice on the black dial (something I wasn't sure of earlier). My gf likes it a lot too. She prefers the blue, but I think it is too flashy. So my eyes went to the black dial and I was very satisfied with it. I tried it on for quite some time, and mark my words - you will see this on my wrist within two years. There just isn't a reasonable affordable watch which covers this one (like the C60 covers for the Black Bay or the Damasko covers for the Pelagos). The sales guy said that the blue and black dials are priced the same at $8200. I always thought the blue one is priced at $9200 retail, but I'm not sure who was right in this case.

I saw the duo of Explorer II - black and white dials peeking out, but I don't have an interest in either so didn't try them on. Must say that the white dial looks better than the black, even though the big orange hand is pretty cartoonish. There were no BLNR GMT IIs available, one sold right in front of me, and the stock on these keeps moving fast so I couldn't see one. There were a bunch of gold and two-tone watches and blue Subs and Daytonas in which I had no interest. I do regret not trying on the No-Date Submariner, I must say the watch looked classy with nice symmetry. I am afraid the bracelet will feel too narrow to me on this one too, but I must try on this watch, there is something about it - even though it is very mainstream or cliched. Will do so next time, along with the Yatchmaster, which I didn't see nearby.

Any comments welcome.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: First impressions of some Tudor/Rolex watches

Post by downer »

You lost me at the point you said the Black Bay bracelet was not better than the C60 bracelet... I really struggle to buy into that point of view. Having owned and lived with both, the BB bracelet is miles ahead -as it should be. And then you compare the bezel action as being no better than the C60. Seriously?

My comments are not meant to bash the C60 (I've just re-purchased one, after all), but IMO there are clear quality differences between the C60 and the Tudor dive watches, and the differences become obvious as you live with the watches.

Again, given the price difference, you should expect the quality differences, so this is not knocking the C60.
Richard
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by watchstudent »

Interesting that you preferred the milgauss so much over the explorer. Personally I find the 36mm version to be the best proportioned and best looking watch of that kind of genre.

If you can't see the value in a black bay then I seriously doubt you will see it in the sub.

I also find your comments about the bezel and bracelet no being anything better than the C60 a bit unfathomable. I mean I know it is all opinions but I didn't even think that was a subjective thing. The pelagos bezel especially to me was the most impressive thing I have felt on a watch. And my C60 bezel was always... Well crap.
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
andyg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by andyg »

downer wrote:You lost me at the point you said the Black Bay bracelet was not better than the C60 bracelet... I really struggle to buy into that point of view. Having owned and lived with both, the BB bracelet is miles ahead -as it should be. And then you compare the bezel action as being no better than the C60. Seriously?

My comments are not meant to bash the C60 (I've just re-purchased one, after all), but IMO there are clear quality differences between the C60 and the Tudor dive watches, and the differences become obvious as you live with the watches.

Again, given the price difference, you should expect the quality differences, so this is not knocking the C60.
Got to agree with Richard here. You pay for it, but the quality of bracelet and bezel on the Black Bay are streets, if not miles, ahead of the (dare i say it? Mainstream) C60.

It's horses for courses of course, but IMHO the BB and Pelagos are the 2 best value dive watches on the market today.

Guess it shows we are all different.
Andy

Each of us will face this question at least once in a year.

"Why do you have so many watches? You can only wear one at a time!"
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Interesting read - thanks for posting. The only Rolex I've tried on recently at an AD has been the Explorer, and I actually found it much more impressive than in photos. The 36mm version is a long-term grail for me.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

I agree with you the the BB's don't represent their price tags. I don't think they are special in any way, the snowflake is indeed not right for the markers and they are over rated as a whole at RRP although I can't comment on the CW bracelet comparison I would surely think the BB is step up?
The Pelagos is something special but wears too large on the wrist.
Modern Rolex's are icky. I would recommend you try on some older models like a coke GMT II or a vintage airking etc. Remember Rolex only really got where they are today for their Robustness and higher build quality through the other decades. Now a lot of brands have caught up (except perhaps in the movement side of things) and modern Rolex have gone to the dark side of bling bling to complete. Rolex from 2005 ish and before still capture my imagination for those qualities so perhaps you are the same as most wis in that respect?
I miss all the great things that may never be.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i have to say i'm with downer and watchstudent on the bracelets.
the "g" is for Greg...
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

The Milgauss and new Pelagos are both on my wishlist. Nice write up of a seemingly fun AD visit!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Interesting write up, that illustrates how we could all try on the same watches and come to different conclusions. I like my C60 and C61, but prefer the quality of the bracelet and bezel on my Pelagos and having tried on the BB several times also prefer the quality of the BB bracelet/bezel to the C60/C61.

Agree on you re. the Milgauss - although I prefer the Z-Blue; there is just something about the combination of the green crystal and blue dial. The pricing of the green crystal versions is the same for both the blue and the black. It's the non green crystal versions that are cheaper.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I really like the snowflake hands and find them to be cute and whimsical - yet another example of how we all have different tastes!

Also, I think the Pelagos having a white date wheel makes complete sense, since the date window is clearly meant to be (visually) an extension of the 3 o'clock marker so that it matches the length of the 9 o'clock marker on the other side.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

asqwerth wrote: Also, I think the Pelagos having a white date wheel makes complete sense, since the date window is clearly meant to be (visually) an extension of the 3 o'clock marker so that it matches the length of the 9 o'clock marker on the other side.
Spot on, and IMO this is one of the ways the new 'in-house' Pelagos is visually inferior to the original version.

Original:

New "in-house" version (pic from ABTW):

I can live with the essay on the dial, but I think the change of date window has lost some of the simple symmetry of the original
Richard
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

A very interesting read and it sounds like you had an entertaining visit.

Your views on the subjective elements are interesting, as everyone has different perceptions of what they like and don't like. For example, I love the simplicity of the Explorer 1, but it clearly didn't float your boat, which is of course absolutely fine. Although, I'd be willing to bet that it grows on you in the future. It is a bit of a slow-burner.

I share your view that the Pelagos wears too big, although it is a lovely watch in many ways. However, when I put one next to my Omega PO, there was no comparison - the PO was all finesse, curves and clever design features, the Pelagos was rather too "clumpy" in comparison. I suppose that's because the Pelagos is more of a tool diver than the PO, but for 2 watches that were both 42mm, the Pelagos was a tank in comparison to the PO.

Like others, I can't agree that the C60 bracelet is as good as the Tudor BB bracelet. Not even in the same league really, although the C60 bracelet is fine for its price range.

Thanks for the post! It's good to see we're not all sheep and like the same stuff! :thumbup:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
JamesH
Guru
Guru

Post by JamesH »

I like the black bay but it doesn't seem like your getting a lot of watch for your £ all things taken into consideration.
andyg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by andyg »

JamesH wrote:I like the black bay but it doesn't seem like your getting a lot of watch for your £ all things taken into consideration.
Given the current price of Swiss Watches in general, a watch with the fit and finish of the BB is pretty much bang on the money for it's price bracket.

Top Quality product, choice of 2 straps, a different take on the submariner dial and style, with heritage to back it up, all equal good VFM. Particularly on the pre-owned market. :thumbup:
Andy

Each of us will face this question at least once in a year.

"Why do you have so many watches? You can only wear one at a time!"
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Dancematt wrote:I agree with you the the BB's don't represent their price tags. I don't think they are special in any way, the snowflake is indeed not right for the markers and they are over rated as a whole at RRP although I can't comment on the CW bracelet comparison I would surely think the BB is step up?
The Pelagos is something special but wears too large on the wrist.
Modern Rolex's are icky. I would recommend you try on some older models like a coke GMT II or a vintage airking etc. Remember Rolex only really got where they are today for their Robustness and higher build quality through the other decades. Now a lot of brands have caught up (except perhaps in the movement side of things) and modern Rolex have gone to the dark side of bling bling to complete. Rolex from 2005 ish and before still capture my imagination for those qualities so perhaps you are the same as most wis in that respect?
Your response does resonate with my thoughts as I have been browsing birthyear Rolexes online recently, and there are two models which stand out (since Explorer is out of my options now) -- 5513 Submariner, and Coke/Pepsi bezel GMT Master II. There is a reliable store very close to me selling a good-looking coke bezel GMT Master II, and a *very* faded pepsi bezel GMT Master II. I may pop by for a looksie. The price isn't bonkers either. One thing that worries me is - won't I hate the old bracelets on these watches? I can of course, always wear them on straps and my impressions with the one vintage Omega I own have been overwhelmingly positive. Its just super classy, and they keep value better than modern Omegas/Rolexes. A GMT watch is missing in my collection since I sold the Steinhart as well, and I thought I could get by without them, but I only foresee more travel and timezone tracking in the future. I also want to find a store which has a BLNR in stock so I can try on a modern GMT Master II.