Post by 28800bph »

Here are some custom dials by some inflated egos:

The Gadaffi Glaschuette Original:

The Gadaffi Omega

The Hussein Longines

The Hussein Oris

The Baby Doc CAMY

And some guy on an Omega

Castro was known to wear two Rolexes at once, but at least he didn't put his face on the dials.

poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Ego dials!

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

And what do they all have in common? They're all dead! (expect Castro, who's nearly dead............and I'm not sure about "the other guy" because I'm not sure who it is? This isn't really working is it?)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
ironmarshal
Junior
Junior

Re: Ego dials!

Post by ironmarshal »

Don't understand the concept of this. Are they afraid they'll forget what they look like?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Rather more tasteful are the Longines produced for King Hussein of Jordan and bearing his name.

On sale here

One of our members said recently that men wearing gold was prohibited in Islam.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by androo »

Don't forget the classic

poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

androo wrote:Don't forget the classic

You think that's egotistical, what about this fella?

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Vicious49 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: One of our members said recently that men wearing gold was prohibited in Islam.
Yup. No gold or silk. I don't remember the exact reason why now, but it is prohibited. Which is why I'm iffy on the rose numerals c9. It's just a tiny bit of gold so it shouldn't be that bad right?

Most of those rulers and people like the Saudi royal family break so many rules that wearing gold is the least of them. I've heard stories of the Saudi royal family drinking, womanizing, pretty much everything in private that they condemn everyone else from doing in public.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

Vicious49 wrote:
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: One of our members said recently that men wearing gold was prohibited in Islam.
Yup. No gold or silk. I don't remember the exact reason why now, but it is prohibited. Which is why I'm iffy on the rose numerals c9. It's just a tiny bit of gold so it shouldn't be that bad right?

Most of those rulers and people like the Saudi royal family break so many rules that wearing gold is the least of them. I've heard stories of the Saudi royal family drinking, womanizing, pretty much everything in private that they condemn everyone else from doing in public.
The prohibition is to do with vanity both can be worn if there is a genuine reason (i.e. an allergy that requires wearing silk rather than cotton or say a mechanical part that uses gold because that particular metal is more efficient) I think the one in the Arab dress is possibly King Faisal of Saudi Arabia?

I would say for the people of Libya etc what watch Gaddafi was wearing was probably the least of their worries.
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Vicious49 »

It's definitely because of vanity but I I can't remember if it's because they don't want men showing off or if it's because they don't want men dressing too feminine.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Vicious49 wrote:It's definitely because of vanity but I I can't remember if it's because they don't want men showing off or if it's because they don't want men dressing too feminine.

From what I remember the gold is because of vanity, silk is a bit of both. On the subject of gold in watches I have read that a small amount (i.e. on the hands or numbers) Is Ok. I cant see how gold being used in the actual parts is a problem if it adds to the efficiency of the watch as that's a practical use rather than out of vanity.

Don't think gold watches are too common these days for me they kind of look like something your dad wore back in the 70s.
Somersett
CW-watches: 14

Post by Somersett »

I have Malwarebytes Pro installed on my computer and it is throwing up a warning in respect of this thread ( Blocked Access To A Potentially Malicious Site - IP 212.40.120.230 ) False positive?
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by androo »

Always thought that Mickey was an evil dictator. Building Lands and Worlds with big a castle his own money and everything you buy in these "worlds" has his image on them
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

I read somewhere once that the three most recognized symbols in the world were the swastika, the Coca-Cola logo and Mickey Mouse.

Which just about says it all...................

Some watches
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

poppydoodlesdad wrote:I read somewhere once that the three most recognized symbols in the world were the swastika, the Coca-Cola logo and Mickey Mouse.

Which just about says it all...................

Also known as General Mickey, Mickey defender of the people, Mickey of the Northern Marches, El Mickey........
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by androo »