Breaking My Own Rules

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Breaking My Own Rules

Post by gaf1958 »

On another thread, I recently alluded to a new watch arrival that was outside of my preferred size limitations. It’s not just a little bit outside, it’s well and truly over my usual preferences.

My sweet spot would be 40-42mm, with no great objection to a couple of mm smaller or larger, but that’s about it for me. Well, this behemoth from Seiko is 47.7mm across from 9 to 3 so it’s almost 6mm over my preferred maximum. The secret with it though it that the lug to lug length from the very tip to other tip, is slightly less at 47.1mm.

In addition to diameter preferences, I also like L2L to be under 50mm, although 53-54 is still fairly wearable for me. So 47.1mm L2L combined with a very well designed set of lugs with downward sweeping curves and what looks like an equally downwardly curved integrated bracelet (but isn’t, with standard 22mm lug with for flexibility) means that the “behemoth” sits beautifully on my 7.25” wrist (and validates that L2L rule). It’s no lightweight, but particularly with the bracelet in place, the weight is well distributed around my wrist and from past experience , I know that it’s no bugbear to wear for extended periods. It’s just the first minute or two until my mind adjusts to the added weight that it’s actually noticeable.

The watch? I probably should get to that at some stage. :grin: It’s a Seiko “Sawtooth” - a nickname earned from the bezel teeth. It’s a shrouded diver, with styling akin to a Tuna Can, but has a curvy, svelte shape that no Tuna has; a shape that visually belies it’s somewhat bloated dimensions. That bloat though, is hidden by the curves, the short lugs and (for a diver) the quite slim case - only 11.9mm thick to the top of the lightly domed crystal.

They were discontinued about ten years ago and came with the choice of black, carbon fibre, orange or blue dials, on bracelet or rubber. The orange had an IP plated black bezel, the rest had the solid stainless version. For me, the blue has always been the pick of the bunch. My last sawtooth was a blue dial - it’s the only one with the wave finish to the dial. The black and orange are a flat finish, the carbon fibre is self explanatory. The blue is a sunray finished mid-blue that’s a stunning colour.

This one is a NOS example built in December 2005 and is in beautiful, truly like new condition. I’ve been looking for a replacement Sawtooth for a couple of years, on and off, probably more off than on.... This one however, was simply too much to resist. I’ll probably resize the bracelet today and it will make an occasional appearance in the NCWOTD thread. :)

So here are some photos. Pretty ordinary photos taken on an overcast day with my iPad, but it gives some indication of the beautiful blue dial.

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Breaking My Own Rules

Post by gaf1958 »

Here are a couple of shots that show a truer perspective of how the watch looks on my wrist...

Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by copemanphoto »

That is stunning, Gary. Great find.
Cheers, Mike.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

A nice find Gary. That bezel is just fantastic. The painted numbers have so much depth! The dial isn't my favourite, but the stepped dial is an attention-getter. It is a more refined design that the Tuna Can.
You are right about the L2L helping define the overall size of the watch. It certainly doesn't look like a 47mm watch on the wrist. I've been eyeing a Mini Turtle for the same reason. It has a large-for-me 42.3mm diameter, but a L2L of only 42.5mm.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Looks great! A very nice pick-up!
'Tis me
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Looks rather good Gary. :thumbup:

If ever a set of pics best illustrated that the lug to lug measurement is as important as, sometimes more, than case size these certainly tick the box.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Macca

Post by Macca »

I must admit that is a good looking watch I generally like 39/40mm and I know how chunky these are too, great purchase you can’t go wrong with a seiko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neilj568 »

I have a black dialled version but I do like this colour - if it had a red hour hand it could be a PADI variant...!!!
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

I was hoping for a cyclops sighting from the title.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Thanks all... Bracelet has now been resized and fitted with a ratcheting clasp. I suspect it’ll be tomorrow’s wrist ornament. :thumbup:
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

blowfish89 wrote:I was hoping for a cyclops sighting from the title.
Ahemmm.... no. :)
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

A definite monster but you seem to have pulled it off.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

As you could probably have guessed Gary, I likes it! Thank you for sizing it perfectly for my wrist too! So kind of you! :D
Steve.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

I've not seen that model before Gary. What a great pick-up. That dial is just lovely. Quartz movement?

It's interesting that the back is marked 'scuba diver' rather than 'air diver' as on the Turtles or SKX, even though the depth rating is the same.

Do you know what the 09-18 engraving marks signify on the back or are they just random decoration? (as is often the Japanese way LOL).
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neilj568 »

FloridaPhil wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:27 pm I've not seen that model before Gary. What a great pick-up. That dial is just lovely. Quartz movement?

It's interesting that the back is marked 'scuba diver' rather than 'air diver' as on the Turtles or SKX, even though the depth rating is the same.

Do you know what the 09-18 engraving marks signify on the back or are they just random decoration? (as is often the Japanese way LOL).
I'll jump in on this - it is to indicate when the battery is due for change, there is a small centre punch mark adjacent to the date when it is due and then it is marked again for the next time (5 years or so)

The watch is from Dec 05 (as noted by Gary; 5D part of the serial number) and the battery was due to be changed around Sept 09.