Best Aging Watches? What types/brands 'patina' the most gracefully?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Best Aging Watches? What types/brands 'patina' the most gracefully?

Post by artphotodude »

Just thinking about how some vehicles (like 80's Toyota 4x4 Pickups) just get better and better with age and actually look better with some rust on them. Also, there was a review for Fuji's recent XPro-2 Rangefinder camera a few years ago, where the reviewer had been using it on loan from Fuji for about 6 months and showed the at the end with the finish coming off everywhere (brash showing through) and he wondered how much they were going to bill him on return - hopefully nothing when you saw how powerful the images were in the camera's favor.

What watches would you all say do the same? Or to put it another way, what watches GAIN in beauty with usage?

Winching-a-hilux.jpg
Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed image inline
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Best Aging Watches? What types/brands 'patina' the most gracefully?

Post by Lavaine »

I think most true tool watches look good with some patina, or wabi-sabi to use the Japanese term. Both the Speedmaster and SKX look good with some well earned wear on them.
When topics like this come up I always think back to a post a number of years ago on WUS about a mechanic who wore a Speedy as his daily for many years. While certainly a little rough around the edges, it by no means looks bad. Rather, it looks like it's worked hard its entire life:
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Lavaine wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:46 pm
So true. That one looks like a long time friend, that ages with its owner! Have always also oved the look of a gold-plated/filled watch, when the brass starts to peak through.
Attachments
Es5AFPdUcAATDUd.jpg
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

Rolex Submariners age beautifully. My best friends dad had one, it was really battered, and in need of a service, we took it to a Rolex centre in Hong Kong, it came back a few weeks later looking brand new, great but I thought it looked better "used and abused"
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side