Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Bell & Ross Vintage 126 Sport

Post by Aifo »

My latest catch, so cut to the chase, why?

Ironically, it was the speedy which lead to the purchase, and here's why

I love my speedy, historical significance aside, the tropical dial, size and thickness all sums up and find it almost the perfect watch for me, but it is not perfect to wear because (i) its vintage(ish), not much confidence in the residual WR and so not an all weatherer and (ii) no date, not extremely important but I do still rely on my watch to tell date sometimes. Also, I've found the modern speedy extreme legibility superior to my own, the stark contrast between the white markers and black dial still catch my attention everytime I see one in flesh.

So that leads to the question, do I buy another moon watch? Well, as extreme as an impulsive purchaser like myself can't justify owning 2 of the same watch. I owned a white dial broad arrow moonphase speedy briefly, and although a great looker, quite a pain in the xxx to adjust it to the right time/date/and moonphase position everytime I pick it up. Other speedy LEs also don't really float my boat, I kind of knew deep down I still prefer the original speedy.

When I first saw the B&R, I already noticed the resemblance to speedy, and after handling one in the AD I made up my mind. Here's why:

It carries all the speedy goodies: highly domed sapphire, flat bezel, sunken sub dial with circular grain, and on top of that, straight lugs, almost identical in size and thickness to the speedy, automatic movement (ETA 2894) and, a date display. The dial is much darker than the speedy too, adding contrast and enhanced legibility.

I like it a lot, though I must say not as much as my speedy, which will always hold a special place in my heart. :)

A few more pics:
Incoming: 0
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Bell & Ross Vintage 126 Sport

Post by downer »

It's a nice watch, but it ain't no Speedy replacement. :)

Congrats Aifo. It's reassuring to know there are people in the world who have a more severe affliction for watches than I do!
Richard
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

I think deep down you just wanted to buy another watch :lol: And there's nothing wrong with that :thumbup: .
The bell & ross is a great looking watch , very legible white markers & hands against the black dial. And you do have the water resistance to 100m and the chronograph facility . Congratulations a very nice watch indeed. :D
Bernie
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

I lovely watch to compliment your stunning Speedy. Congratulations.
Konketsu
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Konketsu »

Very nice. It took me a while to see the date on it! Very subtle, but once you know where it is very useful and it doesn't distract from the other features at all. :thumbup: A great addition to your collection.
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

Its a beauty Aifo, i prefer the B & R to the Speedy. :clap:
Graham
Phil0886
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Phil0886 »

Very nice indeed Aifo, saw this model in the flesh recently and was very taken by it, congratulations!
CW: C60 FLE Blue #009
Non-CW: Rolex Sub ND, Panerai PAM 312, Grand Seiko SBGM027, Omega AT, Omega PO, Heuer Monza, Maurice Lacroix Pontos S, San Martin 62MAS, HIMQ Marinemaster.
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Leo David »

footycrazy wrote:Its a beauty Aifo, i prefer the B & R to the Speedy. :clap:
I do too. A really nice addition, Aifo, to your already wonderful collection. I think I need to change career and do whatever it is you do so that I can fund my watch aspirations! Enjoy wearing it.
cheers
LD
Clarky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes

Post by Clarky »

Very nice pick up Aifo, I have been looking at these for a while and got to have a good look at Salon QP last month, I think I prefer the three handed version though as in not a fan of the chrono module on these movements, but it is a great looking watch 8)
I can resist everything, Except temptation
Oscar Wilde
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

Clarky wrote:it is a great looking watch 8)
Indeed it is, congratulations. :thumbup:
vikingdrvr
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by vikingdrvr »

Best looking B&R I've seen...well done!
vikingdrvr

InComing: nada
InTheBox: C60 GMT, C7, C7IRR, C70 D-Type, C8, C11. Steinies: Nav B/OVM/OceanTi500/Racetimer X2/Chrono II. Others: SMP300M Chrono, SMdV, Alpina X2, Tissot Chrono, LLD, Heuer 2000 Auto, Breil...
Emily DT, Charlotte Deco, Coral (wife’s)
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Thank you everyone! Seems like i made a right choice :-)

BUT! its going back to the AD, rotor stucked by a loose screw, first time for me and clearly not a 'previlege' for CW owners, and knowing B&R CS will defintely be worse than CW just made my day..., and why am I so sure? Called up CS about the loose screw, the lady receptionist asked me how I am so sure, told her the watch has a transparent caseback, enough said....
Incoming: 0
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

sorry you're going to have to deal with some hassles with it, but it's a lovely watch. might be my favorite B&R.
the "g" is for Greg...
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Congrats Ivo, another fine addition to your collection. Unfortunate turn with the loose screw and rookie B&R customer service contact.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by richtea »

Very good looking watch I like its looks as much as the Speedy pretty much :D

Sorry to hear about an issue so quickly maybe the non promising start and response will smooth out

Regards
RichT
6 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol: