A place to discuss other watch-brands
dotborg
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

ARMAND NICOLET

Post by dotborg »

Hi everyone,
I am hooked on CW watches and now have 5. I also have other luxery watches and am now venturing into high complications, just found this company and the seem to make very complicated watches for not too much money. Has anyone heard of them? does anyone have one of their watches and if so wahat is it like quality and feel etc. It seems that they only sell in US, Russa and Middle east and Some countries on the continent but no outlets in th UK.

Any advise would be appreciated but am particularly partial to buying this model (what do you guys think)
http://watchluxus.com/brands/armand-nic ... ag-p914mr2

Or if anyone knows of any other complicated/complete calender dress watch for similar money - please advise.

Thanking you all in advance.

Michael
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: ARMAND NICOLET

Post by Russ-Shettle »

dotborg wrote:Hi everyone,
I am hooked on CW watches and now have 5. I also have other luxery watches and am now venturing into high complications, just found this company and the seem to make very complicated watches for not too much money. Has anyone heard of them? does anyone have one of their watches and if so wahat is it like quality and feel etc. It seems that they only sell in US, Russa and Middle east and Some countries on the continent but no outlets in th UK.

Any advise would be appreciated but am particularly partial to buying this model (what do you guys think)
http://watchluxus.com/brands/armand-nic ... ag-p914mr2

Or if anyone knows of any other complicated/complete calender dress watch for similar money - please advise.

Thanking you all in advance.

Michael
Michael,

Grant you, it's a very nice looking watch. Let me say this: I did not see a price anywhere. There were few specifications about the watch and that should raise the flag on quality. It just says automatic/selfwinding for the movement. It doesn't tell you who makes it or the caliber. That leaves me with the suspicion that the movement is from China or some other Asian producer. China produces these multiple complications at an amazing low price. I've seen many watches with similar complications going for less than $150 US dollars. A Swiss movement with equal complications would only be seen in watches costing in the $1,000 range, more or less.

Are you just looking for a kick-around watch, not so concerned with quality? I bought one like this for $149 US and it still runs after 8 months. At that time I didn't know much but now, when I compare this type of watch with known quality brands with the same complications, I realized what I had. You can also buy watches with this kind of complication at really super dirt cheap prices that have Chinese quartz movements for less than $30 US dollars. It's novelty junk though!

Bottom line Mike, if an add doesn't give you information on the movement it's because they don't want you to know.

Russ
dotborg
Junior
Junior

Post by dotborg »

Thanks for the reply Russ,

just a few things Not really looking for a kick around more like a flagship watch for my collection. the prices are commensurate with high end Luxury watches and the movement is a modified ETA 2824/2 just like that in the CW Aviator.

http://www.watchconcierge.co.uk/acatalo ... colet.html

but cheaper from the USA (on holiday there this summer)
https://www.bernardwatch.com/Armand-Nicolet

http://www.armandnicolet.com/m02watch.a ... icazione=1

This is just the problem no one ssems to have heard of them (bit like CW) but those that have rave about their quality. Would really like a Blancpain with this level of complication but cant afford the £20-30k price tag!

not really looking for cheap watches I have enough of those and really want to build a nice quality collection

Thanks
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Welcome to the "Asylum" dotborg. It would seem you shall fit right in. 5 CW's already, what took you so long to join up?
Don't know much about Armand Nicolet myself other than they are sold on the Home shopping channel in the USA. I tend to avoid those myself...but that is no judgement on the quality or lack there of.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
dotborg
Junior
Junior

Post by dotborg »

Thanks Kip,

Thats all I needed to hear - just have to save a little harder and longer for my flagship!

Thanks
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Dotborg,

A modified 2824-2? That's interesting, at least. I never heard of or known of an ETA 2824-2 to be modified as such. The only movement I'm aware of that is often modified for complications is the ETA 2892 and the 2893. The 2892-A2 is also used as the base movement for some the Omega line which uses their patented co-axial escapement. I'm fascinated to hear this.

Russ
Tinker15
CW-watches: 3

Post by Tinker15 »

dotborg
Junior
Junior

Post by dotborg »

Just as an update I found this on my research (5 days constant web searching) into the Armand Nicolet Brand name.
Read this article
http://www.insyncmagazine.com/pdf/10_3/130-144.pdf

Looks like the shopping channel has gone upmarket?

I might take the plunge and buy a cheaper one like I did with CW. Just a little more of a financial risk if disappointed.

http://www.orbita.ch/17100-1.htm this website gives you the number of turns for automatic movements just intersting and thought i would add it.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

dotborg wrote:Just as an update I found this on my research (5 days constant web searching) into the Armand Nicolet Brand name.
Read this article
http://www.insyncmagazine.com/pdf/10_3/130-144.pdf

Looks like the shopping channel has gone upmarket?
After doing a little research myself last night, I have to agree with you. I might have to change my opinion on this brand. It would definitely seem that the Home shopping channel has gone upscale on this one.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
EcosseOz
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by EcosseOz »

I read the article about the brand and my thinking goes that the 'Armand Nicolet' stuff on the TV shopping channel was the surplus stock available when the 'H5' group brought over the brand in 2005.

Easy way to raise some capitol while shifting dormant stock, then re-invent yourself as a 'premium brand'.

Just my thoughts :?
The CW Collection: Now well used C6IPSI (#2)
C4IP4 (#1331)
C6 Forum LE (#64) -Sold to Tikkathree
C6SWS (#761)
Non-CW: A Breitling, 3x Omega, 1xMido, that now (13y) more ancient Raymond Weil and a Dead Seiko I can't part with (32yrs+)
dotborg
Junior
Junior

Post by dotborg »

Thank you all for your replies and advise, but finally took the plunge and ordered this watch. Should be here in a few days, just landed in GB customs and awaiting clearance.

Will post pictures and verdict when i get it....watch this space :D
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Post by Uncle Bill »

Looking forward to it, with interest!...UB
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
flashman
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by flashman »

All sounds a bit dodgy; some of the watches look nice but I don't think I'd risk it without handling one first.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Tinker15,

I looked and I’m amazed. It does say 2824-2 after their model number. I would love to see a mechanical illustration of how this is done. I know for a fact why the 2892 is use and that’s because the movement is thinner than its brother and can afford the space. I wonder who adds the complications, Armand Nicolet or ETA? Thanks for the link. I would also like to know who else sells chronographs with modified 2824s.

Russ
dotborg
Junior
Junior

Post by dotborg »

Delivery came today Woohooooo! :D

Unfortunately I was out working to pay for the watch :( - Hopefully they try again tomorrow, otherwise I'll pick it up from the local Parcel Force Office. At least something has arrived from the US, what it is we shall soon find out!