Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Another Steinhart Question

Post by Peteo »

So, on the Steinhart Web site, it says that the height of the Nav II Chrono is "ca.16mm". I guess I'm a little confused by this. Firstly, what does the "ca" in front mean? I don't recall seeing this in front of any other previous watch measurements that I've come across. Secondly, I'm having trouble believing that the watch is really 16mm tall, considering that the monster Apollon is 17mm tall and the Triton is 14mm tall. If the Nav II really is that tall, it might be too big for me after all. But maybe someone who already owns a Nav II Chrono can verify?

Thanks.
Peteo
CWs: C70US #702, 2009FLE #34, C65 S. Compressor
Non-CWs: AL&S 1815 A. Calendar, BREMONT Solo, CASIO G-Shock, GRAND SEIKO SBGA415 & SBGJ251, OMEGA Speedmaster Racing, SINN EZM13 & 103AB, TOWSON WATCH CO. C20 Chrono, TUDOR Black Bay Blue
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod

Re: Another Steinhart Question

Post by castle »

I have just measured mine. It is 14mm to the top of the bezel but the crystal is domed so I guess that is where they get the "ca"- presumably short for circa (approximately) 16mm. I don't think it is domed that much but it could be 2mm, hard to measure accurately.
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

castle wrote:I have just measured mine. It is 14mm to the top of the bezel but the crystal is domed so I guess that is where they get the "ca"- presumably short for circa (approximately) 16mm. I don't think it is domed that much but it could be 2mm, hard to measure accurately.
Thanks for the assist there, castle. If you're right about the domed crystal and the circa, then that makes me feel a bit better about getting the watch although to be honest, I feel like I'm looking for reasons not to buy one at this point.
Peteo
Non-CWs: AL&S 1815 A. Calendar, BREMONT Solo, CASIO G-Shock, GRAND SEIKO SBGA415 & SBGJ251, OMEGA Speedmaster Racing, SINN EZM13 & 103AB, TOWSON WATCH CO. C20 Chrono, TUDOR Black Bay Blue
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I'd agree with Castle, Pete.
ca. is, along with c., a standard abbreviation for circa.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Jan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jan »

That 16mm height has held me back from considering a Steinhart crono, my Steinhart Military is as large as I want to go.
Around 800 Euros is a lot if the watch looks silly on your wrist....

And the guys above are absolutely right about ca. being the abbreviation for circa.
C20 Lido, C5 Aviator, C5 Quartz, W6 Splash, C4 Peregrine, C6 RAF Valley
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by castle »

It was a significant step up for me from my C8's as although they are the same diameter, they are much thinner. I am now totally confident with wearing it, even though my wrists are only 7 inches. I think my wrist is quite flat so can cope with the 52mm lug to lug distance.
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

They don't wear thick...
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

Jan wrote:That 16mm height has held me back from considering a Steinhart crono, my Steinhart Military is as large as I want to go.
Around 800 Euros is a lot if the watch looks silly on your wrist....

And the guys above are absolutely right about ca. being the abbreviation for circa.
I am a little worried about this too, but Steinhart allows for a return for that reason (albeit only 14 days compared to CWLs 60 days). I think I'm still going to take the plunge. I'm comfortable with my Magrette Bronze which is pretty big on me, and I don't get the feeling that the Nav II Chrono is going to wear any larger than that one.

I wonder if Ca being used for circa is more common in Europe than in the States. I don't recall ever seeing it here.
Peteo
Jan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jan »

I'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures, you guys have almost convinced me. The vintage look chrono certainly looks very tempting. I have a 45mm Kemmner which is wearable on my 19cm wrist, but still doesn't get much wrist time.

The ca. abbreviation is very common here in Scandinavia and apparently in Germany as well. I don't recall ever having seen it used in American English.
C20 Lido, C5 Aviator, C5 Quartz, W6 Splash, C4 Peregrine, C6 RAF Valley