anOrdain: a dilemma

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Didier.O
Senior
Senior
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 10:08 pm
CW-watches: 2

Re: anOrdain: a dilemma

Post by Didier.O »

Got the email this morning, I have until Friday to decide whether I wanna jump or not. The first available build slots are June 2026, so delivery is probably end of 2026. The deposit amount is ok, and I tend to think that the longer the wait, the easier the decision cause I can just forget about it and I'll pay in a few years.

What I must really think about is whether or not I truly want to pay that much for a dial, with prices that have considerably jumped since I first enquired. I value my Grand Seikos for their dials, but they also have amazing movements (especially High Beat and Spring Drive), something I dont see in Anordain watches. The price of the fume medium on automatic jumped to 2.8k (VAT excluded), with up to 5% increase per year depending on inflation, and we all know what this means for probably the next 2 years. At the end of it, this is nearly 4k on a dial. Albeit unique, yet part of something with little versatility.

I have to do some thinking. Nothing here is ever rational, but still.
User avatar
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 10:30 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: South England

Re: anOrdain: a dilemma

Post by monkeymax »

Didier.O wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm Got the email this morning, I have until Friday to decide whether I wanna jump or not.
I came here for this thread - well, to look to see what had been written on this forum about anOrdain, but it turns out my dilemma was already written about! What did you decide, Didier?

I have just caught up on my emails and realised I too now have until midday tomorrow to decide if I want to go for one. Build dates now second half of 2026, going into 2027! I clicked on the email thinking "it may be 2024 and that's okay," but a lot can happen in 4 years... I can't find anything that says they won't remove the currently available colours or styles between now and then either. Also, they'll limit price rises to 5% per year - so over four years that could be a potential increase of £600...

I really love a great dial and am willing to pay the premium for one of these. I love their story and how it's made, but as the deposit seems completely non-refundable for something I won't see for 4 years (and for a brand I've never seen in person) I'll admit I'm struggling to go for it.
Didier.O
Senior
Senior
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 10:08 pm
CW-watches: 2

Re: anOrdain: a dilemma

Post by Didier.O »

monkeymax wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:12 am I came here for this thread - well, to look to see what had been written on this forum about anOrdain, but it turns out my dilemma was already written about! What did you decide, Didier?
I went for it. Real question was, would I pay up to 10+% over the price that it is now (loosely trying to factor inflation) if it were available (almost like a 'buying on the grey market' question)? The worse that can happen, if in 4 years Im at a point where I cannot fork out the rest (even though the cash has been earmarked, you never know what the future holds), is that I lose 350 pounds.

The price tag for the answer to my aforementioned question, I guess. The price not to deal with potential regret, questioning, pointless rationalisation over the next few years (not exactly 4, cause I could jump back on that list at any time in the future). It's almost like hedging a bet at this point for me.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2820
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Re: anOrdain: a dilemma

Post by JAFO »

^^^ £350 seems a pretty steep option fee to me. You need to really really want the watch, I guess.
User avatar
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 11512
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:43 pm
CW-watches: 14
Location: UK

Re: anOrdain: a dilemma

Post by nbg »

Perhaps the best way to look at the non recoverable £350 is to compare it with how much someone will typically lose when selling a watch bought in haste and then shortly after deciding to move it on. If thinking that we may lose £350 when changing our minds on a potential watch purchase was a real consideration - I imagine that far less watches would be purchased in the first place! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Didier.O
Senior
Senior
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 10:08 pm
CW-watches: 2

Re: anOrdain: a dilemma

Post by Didier.O »

nbg wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:32 pm Perhaps the best way to look at the non recoverable £350 is to compare it with how much someone will typically lose when selling a watch bought in haste and then shortly after deciding to move it on. If thinking that we may lose £350 when changing our minds on a potential watch purchase was a real consideration - I imagine that far less watches would be purchased in the first place! :)

Neil
And because of everything surrounding Anordain, Im pretty confident that you can quickly resell them for at least the price of purchase. I mean, I see Pelagos 39s being sold for 4500gbp on Chrono24.
User avatar
iain
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:13 pm
CW-watches: 0

Re: anOrdain: a dilemma

Post by iain »

^^^^ An Anordain for the price of a Pelagos? You could buy a Tudor for that money!!!

Sorry, thought I was commenting on an expensive CW for a minute there……
“Watch Enabling Parenting Genius”
Dickchins, March 22
User avatar
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 10:30 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: South England

Re: anOrdain: a dilemma

Post by monkeymax »

Well I got stuck in a meeting all morning so the opportunity slipped away. And I'm only a little disappointed; as much as I would like one, the full price is now a significant chunk of the way towards the cost of a watch I've wanted for longer (and have tried on) which also has a shorter wait time.

I'm glad to read you went for it Didier and hope that when it does arrive (!!) we get to see photos! I wonder if the wait time will be decreased if they manage to increase their headcount again in the next couple of years?