American-made watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
PatrickB
CW-watches: 0

American-made watches

Post by PatrickB »

After I ordered my CW, did a Google search on American made watches just for the heck of it and I found this site in Lancaster, Pennsylvania:
http://www.rgmwatches.com/ grant you, the watches are beautiful and I am sure they are well-made, but a middle-class guy like me cannot afford one which is why I chose CW and I am sticking with it.

From the many posts I read in this forum, many members have Rolexes, Tag Heuers, Breitling, and other well known watches; hats off to you all for being able to afford them.
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

Well, I own a Rolex (GMT II) a Breitling (Navitimer) and two CW's, and when I compare the quality of these brands and take the price into account, I always get the feeling there is something wrong here, maybe the quality of the top-brands is a little bit better, but that simply doesn't justify why they are so much more expensive than the CW's....

Before I discovered CW and started with my watch-collection, I purchased a Russion Poljot watch, it was a great watch, but the quality was rather poor, and it couldn't be regulated very well, it was always fluctuating between -15 and +15 seconds. I wanted better quality and thought brands like Rolex and Breitling where the only ones who could deliver a quality mechanical watch. After discovering CW I had to change my opinion!
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Affordable watches American made

Post by Hans »

Talking about affordable watches from America, what about Hamilton? They are not too expensive and rather good I believe!
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by El Tiempo »

You now, I was initially looking at Hamiltons when I was watch shopping last year. Essentially, I did the same thing. Googled 'American Watch Makers' and and Hamilton was one of the sources. However, after visiting the Hamilton website, the only mention of them being made in America was in the timeline presentation. They are part of the Swatch Group so I wasn't really sure what, other than history, remains American about Hamilton.

I also visited the RGM site. They have some lovely pieces but more than I wanted to spend.
PatrickB

re:

Post by PatrickB »

I am glad I didn't go for a Pujlot watch, I just was not too sure about them. Nothing against the Russians or anything; their watches looked nice and they are interesting looking too.
I forgot to mention that I once owned a 1988 Rolex Datejust. I bought it brand new from a mall jewelry store, I forget how much I paid for it. I regret to this day for selling it for $1,500.00 USD in the mid 1990's. But I wanted the money for something else.

I checked out Hamilton watches too, but again, they are out of my price range. They are beautiful watches. I looked at their website but it didn't state where in the U.S. it is located.

Chris told me in an email that some of the assembly work done on his watches is done in Hong Kong and the final assembly and pre-ship prep is done by him and his staff in UK. Also he said some of the components are made in HK. Do you have any idea what the HK components are? I am not getting particular or such, just curious. I wonder if the other fine watch manufacturers are outsourcing their watchmaking too. In any case, I am very confident that my wife's and my CWs are of very high quality. I would like to get one for my stepson when he graduates from high school in June of 2007. I'll have to sound him out to see if he would like one.

Well I rambled long enough so I'll post this to you.

Thanks again for the forum and I will keep in touch.

Kind regards,
Patrick
Gray C
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: American-made watches

Post by Gray C »

Roland Murphy's RGM watches are very nice and good quality, especially the Pilot range
Christopher Ward Kingfisher LE 31/100
Omega Bond Seamaster LE 655/10007
Omega QoS Planet Ocean LE 1829/5007
President
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: re:

Post by President »

PatrickB wrote:I am glad I didn't go for a Pujlot watch, I just was not too sure about them. Nothing against the Russians or anything; their watches looked nice and they are interesting looking too.
I forgot to mention that I once owned a 1988 Rolex Datejust. I bought it brand new from a mall jewelry store, I forget how much I paid for it. I regret to this day for selling it for $1,500.00 USD in the mid 1990's. But I wanted the money for something else.

I checked out Hamilton watches too, but again, they are out of my price range. They are beautiful watches. I looked at their website but it didn't state where in the U.S. it is located.

Chris told me in an email that some of the assembly work done on his watches is done in Hong Kong and the final assembly and pre-ship prep is done by him and his staff in UK. Also he said some of the components are made in HK. Do you have any idea what the HK components are? I am not getting particular or such, just curious. I wonder if the other fine watch manufacturers are outsourcing their watchmaking too. In any case, I am very confident that my wife's and my CWs are of very high quality. I would like to get one for my stepson when he graduates from high school in June of 2007. I'll have to sound him out to see if he would like one.

Well I rambled long enough so I'll post this to you.

Thanks again for the forum and I will keep in touch.

Kind regards,
Patrick
I think the bracelets are HK.