Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

A Watch Moment in the Elevator

Post by Peteo »

Was in the elevator, headed out to pick up some beer for a Sunday of football (that has been cut short by my team playing dreadfully), and the guy in the elevator looked at my wrist and asked, "Is that a Steinhart?" Imagine my surprise that anyone in my building would recognize a Nav B Chrono. He said that he had a couple of Steinharts himself - smaller ones in the 44mm range, which just proves how gargantuan the same 44mm looks on my spindly wrist. He also said things like "I have a bit of a watch problem," and "I'm down to 11." I couldn't help but smile. I didn't manage to get his name before he got off on the 2nd floor, nor was I able to ask him if he'd heard of Christopher Ward before, but it's good to know that I'm not the only one in my building who is afflicted with the disease.

I'll have to see if if I can find him sometime soon. Maybe arrange a swap or two.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Re: A Watch Moment in the Elevator

Post by scooter »

That's much better than most trips in lifts when everybody stares at the door trying to be invisible.

Hope you meet up with him again to continue your chat.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

sounds like a lift trip to remember ,they are normally bloody boring :D
Bernie
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

You just never know where a WIS May show up.

At a weekend event, I have just attended, I was pleasantly surprised to find several gentlemen that were very touched by this wonderful disease. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

This thread needs a 'Like' button. Maybe you need to hold a GTG for your building.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by rcherryuk »

In my Office the usual conversation starts with "Bought any new watches"

And is often followed by "I bought this Xxxxxx last week at Schipol/Antwerp/Geneva, what do you think?"

I just wish I had their disposable income
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by eggtronics »

I'm guessing you support Man U?
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

I always try and take the stairs: better for you. By the time I reach the top there's not much breath left for conversation.
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

Peteo wrote:Was in the elevator, headed out to pick up some beer for a Sunday of football (that has been cut short by my team playing dreadfully), and the guy in the elevator looked at my wrist and asked, "Is that a Steinhart?" Imagine my surprise that anyone in my building would recognize a Nav B Chrono. He said that he had a couple of Steinharts himself - smaller ones in the 44mm range, which just proves how gargantuan the same 44mm looks on my spindly wrist. He also said things like "I have a bit of a watch problem," and "I'm down to 11." I couldn't help but smile. I didn't manage to get his name before he got off on the 2nd floor, nor was I able to ask him if he'd heard of Christopher Ward before, but it's good to know that I'm not the only one in my building who is afflicted with the disease.

I'll have to see if if I can find him sometime soon. Maybe arrange a swap or two.
Dangerous thread as having read your post yesterday I found myself today starring at a guy's watch at my local town hall. I think he thought me a little strange and without doubt not a happy bunny. As for his watch, a big monster of a Seiko. :lol:

Must learn to behave in public.
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard B »

Conversely, I'm disappointed that I can't strike up a similar conversation with a guy at work. He has a really nice Breitling, a special edition (HM Forces - probably Army rather than RAF) that I've never seen before, neither the crest nor the face layout. The most I've got out of him is "The wife bought it for me, it's been in a drawer for ages, and I thought I'd better wear it because I think it cost a bloody fortune. I only put it on because my old one ran out of battery".

I want to shake him! :curse:
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Richard B wrote:Conversely, I'm disappointed that I can't strike up a similar conversation with a guy at work. He has a really nice Breitling, a special edition (HM Forces - probably Army rather than RAF) that I've never seen before, neither the crest nor the face layout. The most I've got out of him is "The wife bought it for me, it's been in a drawer for ages, and I thought I'd better wear it because I think it cost a bloody fortune. I only put it on because my old one ran out of battery".

Offer to trade him a quartz watch for it. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

Kip wrote:
Richard B wrote:Conversely, I'm disappointed that I can't strike up a similar conversation with a guy at work. He has a really nice Breitling, a special edition (HM Forces - probably Army rather than RAF) that I've never seen before, neither the crest nor the face layout. The most I've got out of him is "The wife bought it for me, it's been in a drawer for ages, and I thought I'd better wear it because I think it cost a bloody fortune. I only put it on because my old one ran out of battery".

Offer to trade him a quartz watch for it. :)
A devious plan which I second :P
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robin CB »

Is he ex-forces?

It might just be his sense of humour, particularly if he knows you don't recognise the badge. It may be that the military connection is more important that the value of the watch.

If he is not ex-forces then maybe he is embarrassed about wearing a forces badge on his watch.....
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard B »

Robin CB wrote:
Is he ex-forces?

It might just be his sense of humour, particularly if he knows you don't recognise the badge. It may be that the military connection is more important that the value of the watch.
Yes, he is ex-forces (Army).

But I don't think its totally humour, as I usually "get" forces humour as I've worked with them very closely off-and-on for the last 12 years. But there again, I'll be generous and accept that it is! :D
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robin CB »

Richard B wrote:
Robin CB wrote:
Is he ex-forces?

Yes, he is ex-forces (Army).

But I don't think its totally humour, as I usually "get" forces humour as I've worked with them very closely off-and-on for the last 12 years. But there again, I'll be generous and accept that it is! :D
Don't do that - Shake him and prod him until he co-operates :stick2:

I want to know what unit can afford a bespoke Breitling :shock:

And I want pics :lol: