A place to discuss other watch-brands
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7
LE-two: yes

A few acquisitions from watch fair

Post by Monkey »

Went to the Uxbridge watch fair today and met up with Andy (Village) for a mooch around.

It was pretty much all old/vintage watches and clocks, and was a bit of an aladins cave :)

It got so much at one point, that we had to retire to the canteen for a cooked brekky :D before commencing round two!!

Anyway, I mentally spent about £3k at least, but rather less in real money, and came away with these two watches.....

Tissot Seastar from early 70's I think?? Always liked Tissot so was glad to find this as have been outbid on fleabay a couple of times for one of these!! The strap was pants so it's got a Hirsch strap on now :D

This little ladies mechanical wind up watch caught my eye, so I got it for Mrs M, and she really likes it, and was only 30 quid :) Again the straps a bit naff, so will be replaced shortly!!

Looking forward to the next one already, and was nice meeting up with Andy today :)
John
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: A few acquisitions from watch fair

Post by village »

Indeed it was a bit of an Alladins cave & it was nice to meet the man behind the monkey!
There were some very nice watches to be seen (and some had prices to match!)....i was most impressed with the bloke that produced a pink watch strap for John (Monkey) :lol: ....he can explain that one!

John did indeed find a nice Tissot and it looks even better in the flesh.

While he was haggling with the stallholder i was leaning on a box...suddenly realised that it was a Tissot Seastar Seven crystal removal tool kit which,although missing some of the 'keys', contained what i required to fiddle with the Seastar i picked up last week from a boot sale...result and £12 well spent!

I was quite happy too....i've been looking at Seiko Bellmatics of & on so i was pleased to find this one at a very reasonable price from October 1976

My other purchase was something i had walked by about 4 times before i saw it....a vintage Doxa auto. Lovely classic watch with a nice clean mvt (some Doxa calibre)...around the 1950's i think.Nice size too at 38mm. There isn't a whole load of archived info on these old Doxas so i might need to see if Doxa themselves can provide further info. Anyhow,didn't have a strap so i've put a C4 strap on i had sitting around...the lugs are actually 19mm so i had to doctor the strap (impatience for you)..could've been neater but will do till i get another that actually is 19mm.

ps..i didn't buy the missus anything but she was just glad for me to get back and have the kids..who had been little buggers!
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by El Tiempo »

Some good grabs guys. I really like the Doxa.
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

Nice catches guys!

What on earth did you doctor that C4 strap with Village?!? That's some wabi you've added to it :lol:
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Monkey »

Both your watches look good Andy, but I do particularly like that Doxa!!

Think I should have got that as sure I saw it first?!! lol :lol:

The pink strap was for one of Mrs M's watches..........honest :wink:
John
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

ctafield wrote:Nice catches guys!

What on earth did you doctor that C4 strap with Village?!? That's some wabi you've added to it :lol:

A garden strimmer....... i had help from a 4 year old, who in turn had help from a 1 year old. ruined a perfectly good strap but i got it cheap in the sales anyway so not too worried and it means i can wear it till i get a proper sized one.
Monkey wrote:Both your watches look good Andy, but I do particularly like that Doxa!!

Think I should have got that as sure I saw it first?!! lol :lol:
Lets call it a dead heat :D .....and you could then save your pennies for that Heuer :shock:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Monkey »

village wrote: and you could then save your pennies for that Heuer :shock:
Yeah, that was a VERY nice watch, and can't see me finding one in that condition for that price any time soon!! :(

Ho hum!! :nosmile:
John
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congrats guys, it really looks like you both came away with some good deals and were both satisfied.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by Rick »

Hey John!!!!! I told you not to tell me :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :datz: :datz: :datz: :datz:

Seriously,nice catches fellas,will try and make the next one :D
C5AKS - C7 Rapide - C4IPK - C6T3 - C6 Forum LE - W6 Splash - C8SWT - C70 DBR1
Breitling Hercules - Omega SMP - Boschett Cave Dweller - Seiko Monster - Porsche Design P'6310
Tissot Sea Touch - Oris Pro Diver - Dreyfuss 1925 - Tissot V8 - Deep Blue Pro Sun
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Monkey »

Rick wrote:Hey John!!!!! I told you not to tell me :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :datz: :datz: :datz: :datz:

Seriously,nice catches fellas,will try and make the next one :D

Well I didn't tell you directly!!! :wink:

Think you may have been in your element there tho Rick, so yes, deffo the next time :D

On a side note.....I went into the local Debenhams to see if I could find a nice strap for the ladies watch, and got talking to the Lady on the little watch repair/sales booth, and she's a qualified watch repairer etc etc so we got chatting about the watch fair etc, and she took the back off of the 'new' Tissot and the mov't looked fantastic (think it might be a 7730??) so she gave it a little clean around the edges and used one of those air squirter things to blow any bits out, then resealed it.......shame I didn't have my camera or phone with me!!

Next time!!
John
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Monkey,Did your wife like the plain pink strap as appossed to the croc effect one ?
I think i was stood beside you when you bought it. :D I was trying to get a chunkier strap for my C15 at the time.Was it £3.50.
I didnt have any luck with the straps i was looking for.But got a nice story from the man selling the ww2 pilots watches about how one of them was devalued by some £7000 because the engravings had been removed ,it was now a paltry £1250.
Interesting stuff there, but as i was nursing a very bad hangover , I wasnt in the best frame of mind for it, But took my Dad along and he seemed to enjoy it.
Didnt get any coments on my C8 blackhawk.But did get a couple on my bike chain Bracelet :?
Will most likely attend the next one and maybe meet up.Didnt expect to go this time as a late Saturday night put me off.But Dad really was looking forward to it so i gave in.
Not really the best place for S/S bracelets for the wifes watches though,so will go with a view to buying a watch next time,And hope to pip you boys to it... :)
Apparently if your trade you can get in at 7.30 am.Might try and wangle that and get a good head start.
Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Monkey »

magicman wrote:Monkey,Did your wife like the plain pink strap as appossed to the croc effect one ?
I think i was stood beside you when you bought it. :D I was trying to get a chunkier strap for my C15 at the time.Was it £3.50.
Yup....that was me :D with Andy (Village - tall bloke, red jumper) standing right behind me!!

And yes, she did like the strap once I'd got the scalpel out and 'adjusted' it to fit :)

I'll be definately looking at going to one of the next one's, so if your going, let us know :)
John