2009 Sub date or 2016 explorer

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

I have a small quandary I thought I would share and ask for thoughts.

Quite a few months ago I enquired about the new Rolex Explorer as a replacement for one of my sports Rolex - the GMTii or my SubDate.

As some of you are aware this had a knock on effect of me looking at the 36mm DJs. The GMT duly departed and was replaced by a DJ and I couldn't be happier.

Explorer slightly forgotten - now my AD has one and I'm top of the list for it and I can exchange my datesub for one and even come away with a little credit note.

Do I? The Sub is the least worn watch in my box.

Yes I have owned an explorer before and something wasn't quite right. The shiny 3,6,9 being one (sorted on new version). I also had an aversion to bracelets at the time (now I have no issue with them and always have 2 watches on bracelet). I was also eager to try other watches at that point (not so much a problem now as I'm much more contented - not stopped but buying something different isn't my only thought - so to speak)

The sub is stunning, in great cond and has 2 years of Rolex warranty as it was only recently serviced) It has the Rolex engraved rehaut which was only done on the model in the last 2 years of production. Value wise it's best to keep the Sub but that's not a solid reason to keep.

The explorer will get more wrist time, has a better bracelet, a 5 year warranty and a 10 year service interval.

I keep edging towards swapping but...

It's amazing that the camera can pick up dirt on the bezel I can't see by just looking. Bezel now clean :)

New explorer - photograph nicked from Kevin

Mark
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: 2009 Sub date or 2016 explorer

Post by Dancematt »

I think we know your collecting habits too well for this not to happen.

Fyi I also fell for the 10 year service interval thing but it is not what Rolex recommend - they only stated a lot of customers leave servicing till around the 10 year mark, in reality their service intervals have not changed (and I cannot see anywhere on their website the exact interval they reccomend).
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

The 10 year servicing is an interesting point. My understanding is that the original comment was as you say Pete. They then backed up the story by saying that all new from factory watches would last 10 years without a service but once opened it may not last 10 years for the second service. Still a good indication that Rolex movements continue to be robust.
On the swap - for once it may not happen as I am genuinely swinging from yes to no and back again.

I even considered going Omega with a Globemaster or blue AT but that seems to be a backward step?
Mark
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Mark given that you are drawn to smaller watches at the moment I think the Explorer will look bigger than the Sub, even though the case size is smaller. I think the dial on both your DJ and Sub are 30mm, what is the dial size of the Explorer?

Why do you think you will wear the Explorer more than the Sub?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

Neil,
For whatever reason it is I don't seem to keep the Sub on the wrist for too long.

This is my current 6.

During the week I tend to wear the DJ with the Nomos being an alternative for the odd change.

At the weekend I either choose the OP or the Farer both of which are the same size as the Explorer. Recently the OP has been on bracelet but I have swapped over to leather to confirm if I like that. The explorer would stay on metal to give me a further look.

Perhaps diver styles just don't suit me - no matter how muchbI drool at them in shops and on photographs.

An example of my predicament is now. I took a photograph of my 6 and immediately swapped the Sub out for the Farer and I prefer it.
Mark
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

It may be as simple as you say - you don't really like diver style watches.

Neil
TZ-UK
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by watchstudent »

Never again will a Rolex submariner be made with an aluminium bezel with those lovely bevelled lugs, personally I would keep the sub.

Having said that you swapped one rotating bezel for a steel one and you are delighted with the result, if you don't wear the sub then maybe exp 1 and DJ is the better combo for your tastes vs the sub GMT combo.

The new explorer does look great, such an improvement on the shiny 369.
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

I must be in the minority, there is no way I would swap my 114270 for a fully lumed 214270.

Neil
TZ-UK
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by watchstudent »

nbg wrote:I must be in the minority, there is no way I would swap my 114270 for a fully lumed 214270.

Neil
If I had a 114270 then I also would never do that. Your watch is the best proportioned Rolex out there!
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

watchstudent wrote:
nbg wrote:I must be in the minority, there is no way I would swap my 114270 for a fully lumed 214270.

Neil
If I had a 114270 then I also would never do that. Your watch is the best proportioned Rolex out there!
I Wouldn't either but Mark doesn't keep watches with rotating bezels.
Sabbath wrote:The 10 year servicing is an interesting point. My understanding is that the original comment was as you say Pete. They then backed up the story by saying that all new from factory watches would last 10 years without a service but once opened it may not last 10 years for the second service. Still a good indication that Rolex movements continue to be robust.
On the swap - for once it may not happen as I am genuinely swinging from yes to no and back again.

I even considered going Omega with a Globemaster or blue AT but that seems to be a backward step?
Any watch can last 10 years without a service even a Seiko 5 or a Vostok so it isn't really an advantage for buying a Rolex unless it categorically is their recommended service interval. its all discussion from Rolex not fact.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

If you get the Explorer, will it affect your wear rate on the OP as I find them to be somewhat similar, but I probably slightly prefer the Explorer of the two.

Just to repeat myself (yet again) the Exp doesn't have that big lump on the front that I dislike so much... the Gorgon? The Minotaur? Oh yes that's it, that bloody Cyclops! ;)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

I must admit I do seem to have issues keeping watches with rotating bezels. Oddly the Tag isn't an issue and I really like that - it might be because it's my grab and go sports watch so suits the look perfectly.

Buying an Explorer will have some effect in wearing the OP but as one will be on leather and one on bracelet they will be for different looks or moods.

As you can probably tell I'm leaning towards the Explorer.

On the Cyclops I don't actually mind them - in fact I love it on the DJ. It really suits the overall feel with the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet.
Mark
kevin_b1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by kevin_b1 »

Stick with the Sub, maybe chop in a couple of others for the Explorer go for a box of Rolex only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IWC Mark XVII
Rolex Oyster Datejust Perpetual (1971)
Rolex Precision 9ct gold (1962)
Rotary Les Originales
Rotary Tank
C9 5 day Chromometer
C1 Russell
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

Kevin
There is not enough wrist time to have a Sub, Explorer and OP - too much crossover.

It's a straight fight between Sub and Explorer. Should I just accept that now and again I will not wear the Sub but that it deserves it's place in the 6. (Actually this is not a bad idea - even if I do say so myself)

Also having a box of Rolex will not work for me - i like the balance of three top watches backed up by three good watches. I did have a top 4 recently and I wasn't comfortable with it.

The only potential changes are
an Explorer for Sub
And maybe another Farer for the Nomos in the future.
Mark
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

Just to highlight how different the OP can look to the Explorer - this time on a genuine alligator strap. Above it's on a handmade rustic tan strap

And also a blue strap

Mark