2 autos and a manual...

A place to discuss other watch-brands
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

2 autos and a manual...

Post by xtriple »

were acquired yesterday. Yes I know I said "no more watches" but these were ridiculously cheap... or free as it's more commonly known :D Also came with a spare bracelet, now I know what they mean when they say "It's a hair puller!".

First up for your delectation is a gold plated Timex. Round dial in a square case with a date complication. Think it's from the 60's or 70's and after a brief fettle with a big hammer and **** file, it is running! Wore it all last night and it's keeping excellent time as well. Strangely, this watch looks to be in really good condition in reall life yet the pictures make it look quite rough. I'm certainly not ashamed to wear it!

Next up, another Timex but an auto this time. Looks a little "worse for wear" but nothing like in the pics again. I think this one is a little later - 70's 80's? It's also on the most horrible strap/bracelet I've ever seen with some naff overlap type adjustment. A quick manual wind (really bloody difficult due to tiny winder) and it was away and running fine. Didn't give it anything like a full wind and it ran until 4:00 A.M. this morning. It honestly looks allright, crystal needs a damn good polish and the case could do with a clean, but okay.

And finally, for your consideration, a MuDu 30 jewel automatic. Did a tiny bit of research on it yesterday as it looks lovely and in really good condition (again, much better than the pictures would lead you to believe - the scratch on the crystal hardly notices in the flesh) and was surprised to learn that they were "Smuggled in to the country via Bristol docks" in the 50's 60's and were rumoured to be made by moonlighting Blancpain workers after a bit of extra dosh!

This one didn't work at all. So I took the back off and the rotor was jammed by a loose gear from the manual winding system. Obviously, someone has been inside before as the screw that holds that gear is missing, as is another that holds the movement to the case. Anyway, I replaced the gear and lightly "staked" the end of the pinion (without damaging the thread or anything else) to retain it temporarily and gave it a manual wind... nothing.

Had to clean the balance(EEEEEK!) to get it moving easily but away it went and seems to be working well. Wearing it today to see if it keeps going and keeps time. 6 hours in and timekeeping is good!

So, as I said, all three look much better in the flesh than the pictures (especially the two Timex) and all three are running well.

What ya' all reckon?
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Re: 2 autos and a manual...

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Look OK for freebies! What's the story, or shouldn't I ask?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

xtriple wrote:Strangely, this watch looks to be in really good condition in reall life yet the pictures make it look quite rough
It is a well known phenomenon with doing close ups of watches. Every little micro scratch that you don't notice in real life shows up like a big scratch. :(

Looks like Village's bargain PolyWatch on sale might come in handy for those crystals.

Like the art deco look of the MuDu.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
xtriple
Forum gobshite

Post by xtriple »

Lorn's Dad for the two Timex. He's not what you'd call a "Watchy" even though he was a Bank Manager (back in the day when they were Bank Managers!) and currently wears a Citizen eco-drive. These had been kicking about in drawers for years and he mentioned them some time ago. As they had just come back from a six week Caribbean cruise (they go on about 6 cruises a year :shock: ) so he was in a good mood and was "reminded"!

The other was a friends Grandads watch. The old boy had died a few years ago and not worn this watch for a few decades beforehand. Knowing the family, it was probably him that set to inside the watch and lost the screws!

Had to make a bit of a "contribution" for the MuDu but I liked it so what the hell.
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Liking the MuDu, except for the name. I think it deserves a trip to the spa to shine it up and address the missing screws / dirsy insides.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
xtriple
Forum gobshite

Post by xtriple »

Lavaine wrote:Liking the MuDu, except for the name. I think it deserves a trip to the spa to shine it up and address the missing screws / dirsy insides.
Think you're right! It'll go off to a decent watchmaker at some point - any recommendations? I will sand and polish the crystals on the ticker - tickers and get a couple of new straps for them and I reckon they'll be okay for a while.

The MuDu has quit again, though a quick shake and it ran again for a while. It needs a service and a clean of the crystal, but other than that it's lovely.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ianblyth »

Steve Burrage at Ryte Time did a great job on my vintage Oris and gets lots of recommendations on TZ-UK as well.

http://www.rytetimewatchrepairs.co.uk/
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

I think they all look great. I love vintage watches, especially when they work! And my thoughts on Timex must be well known by now :wink: Bargains all, I hope they keep going for another 30, 40, 50 years. Enjoy them!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
xtriple
Forum gobshite

Post by xtriple »

Spent a bit of time today (waiting for phone calls) sanding the worst of the Timex watches. Used the scratchy side of a scouring sponge (which I also use for re-brushing bracelets) and then some of Villages "Polywatch".... think it came out all right. Note, the line round from 12 -3:00 is just a reflection.

Went and bought a cheapie black strap for it (they didn't have any nice blue ones) and cleaned half a pound of her Dads residue and assembled it. Quite pleased and wearing it now to see how timekeeping goes.

Well?
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ianblyth »

Looks much better.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Good job! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Looks really good XT. Actually, it's hard to believe it's the same watch as above. I could have done without the information about the 'residue' though. :shock:
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Lavaine wrote:Looks really good XT. Actually, it's hard to believe it's the same watch as above. I could have done without the information about the 'residue' though. :shock:
Body cheese! :kotz:

A friendly reminder here.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
xtriple
Forum gobshite

Post by xtriple »

And... bugger!

Just been cleaning the mobility scooter and forgot that I'd got the Timex on my right wrist, went under the seat with a sponge and.... put a dirty great deep scrawk right across the acrylic!

Fortunately, was in the garage so rather than spend days getting the scratch out with a scourer, got some 400 grit and some 1000 grit and set to. Much easier! Took about ten minutes start to finish, and it was DEEP this time. Completely gone and it looks perfect.

As an aside, been wearing it for a few days and it's keeping time pretty much spot-on. Well pleased.