Your Favorite British Bands from the 80's

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Re: Your Favorite British Bands from the 80's

Post by Leon O »

The Police had a few mentions. I spent the night of December 15th for the Synchronicity tour outside waiting for tickets.

It was really cold that night in Providence RI, but I got the tickets.
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesthomcat00
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

The 80s saw me listening to Gary Numan in his post Tubeway Army form, alongside many of the bands already listed.
These users thanked the author jmarchitect for the post:
Leon O
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I like 80's music, although I have hundreds of records stating from earlier than that, 45s more so than albums.

So I think the 80's must have been the time I got a CD player. I just checked, and the first CD produced was 1982 (Abba: Arrival), so I have the timing right. One of my first CD's was Level 42, and it was Level Best. (Greatest Hits), but I wasn't familiar with their stuff, it must have been the CD presentation, and a lot of tracks. So on first listening I really wasn't so impressed, but after lots and lots of repeat listening, I liked it more and more, so thumbs up to that CD, and Mark King.

No such trouble with Jam The Gift, also 1982. Fantastic album, this time on vinyl, but I can't listen to it on the vinyl because my turntable needs some attention. Impressive bass lines.

It's hard to single out favourites from the 80's as there's just so many choices, and I have so many to choose from. Even John Cooper Clarke. Caramba. And the KLF. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Leon O
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

I got my first CD player around 1985 and my first CD album was The Alan Parsons Project: Ammonia Avenue. I had never listened to the group before, but that one started a habit of buying a new CD each week.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

There are so many great bands and albums listed here. This weekend I'll go through and make a list of CDs to seek out.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

A couple of more I thought about last night. Echo & The Bunnymen, Psychedelic Furs and Joy Division. Joy Division is technically mostly in the late 70s but became very popular in the early 80s. Like Morrisey it has a very brooding tone to it.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Leon O
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:00 am Not sure I can help Leon as my listening preference in the '80s was Rock based e.g. Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Queen et al.
Also add in Rush, Lynyrd Skynryrd, and Jethro Tull, and that was what I listened to while in high school.
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:50 am Check out The Style Council, Modern English, Depeche Mode & New Order of course, The Alarm, and The English Beat.
I recognize these bands from the Classic Alternative channel. Good stuff, but I can't remember them after I get out of the truck.

Regarding Depeche Mode, I try to remember the songs after seeing the Modern Family episode where Ed Norris was supposed to the bassist from the group. He asked "what's you favorite song?"

Thus, I pay attention to the DM songs when I hear them. I still can't remember the titles by the time I get out of the truck :(
jkbarnes
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

BobMunro wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:33 pm The Smiths
The Cure
The Police
The Clash
Queen
The Jam
Dire Straits

Never a great 'New Romantic' fan but Spandau and Duran Duran made some banging tracks.
I listened to the Police, Queen, and Dire Straights on a regular basis. The others in this list I heard on occasion when listening to the Brown University radio station out of Providence RI.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

Update: For Christmas I got some CDs of a similar style:

depeche Mode - Some Great Reward,
The Clash - London Calling,
Berlin - The Best of,
Pretenders

And a different genre: Jeff Buckley - Grace

I don't know why I never listened to depeche Mode. Some Great Reward sounds incredible on my desktop system, which features an SVS subwoofer.

Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbup:
jkbarnes