WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by NationOfLaws »

rkovars wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:52 pm Also Nation one lonely wear on the Tudor is a crime! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just really loving the Dartmouth right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
rkovars

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by rkovars »

NationOfLaws wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:14 pm
rkovars wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:52 pm Also Nation one lonely wear on the Tudor is a crime! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just really loving the Dartmouth right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can't fault you there. It is a great watch!
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
NationOfLaws
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

Just sharing this because it tickled me...

When you get feedback from an iPhone via App Store Connect, it gives a bunch of stats along with it (phone type, resolution, cellular or wifi data, battery percentage etc - it's actually pretty cool!). One of those stats is 'Uptime', which is apparently how long the app has been open at the point the feedback was submitted.
Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 19.51.30.png
Now by my reckoning this is telling me that someone had the app open for almost 53 years[/i] before submitting the attached feedback :lol:
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
rkovars

Post by rkovars »

Could be me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Time for another update!

I've told Apple to push the current build to live, so it's currently in app review (I wonder if they might reject it based on the backup issue though!) In parallel though, I've got a new build prepared with a couple of updates:
Screenshot_20221005-125410.jpg
Firstly - Ads! Yep, horrible, horrible ads!
As mentioned previously though, I've built this with a mechanism to turn them off, so I'll work on WristCheck Pro next - if it's any consolation, I see them all too! Most are small banners, but there are a couple of places where I've put bigger ones (mainly in the big dead space in the Stats view, although that'll be smaller soon as I've got more 'stats' buttons to add in there!) - aside from that 'big ones' are only on seldom visited screens, like the archive view. Would love to hear what people think of these (I see them as a necessary evil personally...)

Secondly, after Jameson (NationOfLaws) asked for it - there's a proper screenshot function on the wear charts! When you click a screenshot button it takes a picture like below and opens the 'share' dialog on iOS and Android (so you can choose to add to your gallery, or send straight to Facebook/Whatsapp/Whatever!)
shareImage.png
Should I have included the page header? I did originally, then changed it - I think it might be missing something now though!
I did this over some other things on the backlog for two reasons - first, it seemed easy (it took me under an hour to implement this!) and second, in my mind the graphs are what the app is all about, and facilitating sharing those should also help people find the app - really happy with how this turned out, but please provide feedback as its easy to tweak (and add elsewhere!).

Next up: Alerts - on Android it didn't trigger the permission request until it triggered a notification, which is rubbish if you're setting up something on a schedule! So now, when you set an alert, it sends one instantly then reverts to schedule. A silly workaround for a glaring gap in the library, but it works! (iOS was always fine, but did this on both platforms - I may remove from iOS though as unnecessary noise!)

Finally, the usual handful of tweaks, including fixing the 'we've got a tie!' message for your least worn watch! If you have more than one most/least worn watch, it now shows all of them! (this might get messy if you have 20 unworn watches in the collection - open to suggestions on a maximum, BUT it should still be functional even if the list is huge... I think!)

Oh and lastly, backup on iOS - I've reviewed the config and it all looks ok, but I do see that there are library updates for the plugin (2 since I last did a production build) so I've updated these dependencies - I'm hoping that fixes it, but without an iPhone I can't check myself :'( So would appreciate when this lands on test flight if some of you could check :)

I've not generated the builds yet - on my lunch break just now and have a busy afternoon, but I'll aim to get these onto the beta channels later today/this evening... the app might just be at the point where I start to tell other people about it now...

:shock:
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
NationOfLaws
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Hmm... the screenshot seems to have a transparent background... I might just need to sort that out!
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

I've pushed v1.2 out to production now, so it should be available for everyone (if anyone's interested, looks like I currently have about 50ish users) which means the dreaded ads are now on everyone's phones (sorry!)

On the plus side, I'm going to be rich:
Screenshot 2022-10-08 at 15.14.18.png
(With a bit of effort I might get this up to 5p/day :lol: )

For v1.3 I'm going to try to work on a few smaller improvements, starting with this:
Lavaine wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:46 am So this definitely falls into the category of picking nits (which I think highlights how good the app already is):

When I'm entering a new watch into the database I'd like to see automatic capitalization of the first word for brand and model. I don't know how hard this is to implement, but I've seen it in a number of apps.
Turns out this was super easy, barely an inconvenience:
Screenshot 2022-10-08 at 15.19.03.png
That one line "textCapitalization: TextCapitalization.words" does it all, and will ensure every word in the brand line begins with a capital - I'm implementing here and on the 'model' row.

Another wee tweak based on previous advice was to raise the camera/gallery buttons a little so they weren't right at the bottom of the screen, so they're easier to find with a thumb:
simulator_screenshot_8CAB7CB0-64D9-4C1C-BB99-B29768E90FB8.png
I want to try to play with the images too - I think I can handle their storage better (which would also open up the possibility of backing them up) but I also reckon I can make the UI a bit nicer (and add in the option of caseback images too!) - but first I'm going to do some code refactoring to allow me to add the code to pick an image when you add a new watch.

Keen to work on these smaller improvements before tackling a calendar view next (potentially for v1.4 - may try to do a pro version first, but want to add more value first...)

The iOS backup is still broken and I can't figure out why, so may try an alternate approach - it does work if you save to the app directory, but doesn't seem to grant permissions elsewhere (even though these permissions should be triggered on the location selection and work in test :? )

So, that's my plan for the next 2-3 weeks - keep throwing feedback my way if you have any, and thanks to everyone who's given me some so far - I might act on it slowly, but I am reading it all!
asqwerth
- Grant

rkovars

Post by rkovars »

I upgraded to 1.2 via TestFlight and everything is working good :thumbup:

We need to get you some more downloads and ratings/reviews! I'll mention it to my local watch gang and see if we can't bump the numbers by a few anyway!
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Jack London
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Honestly, I'm happy that more than a handful of people are enjoying it! I'm having a great time building it - its frustrating at times, but really fulfilling :lol:

I might pop a rating prompt into the next version. Since V1.1 I've been tracking how often the app is opened and watches are worn - just locally, not in a way I can see! (You can actually see this if you tap the version number in settings 6 times) - purely because this can be a useful trigger for things like prompting to rate (e.g. the best time to prompt is likely after a user has tapped 'wear today', bit only after they've used the app a few times).

It may let me add some direction to features users haven't found yet like notifications etc too, to help people get the most from the app.

Seriously though, just happy that I've got an app on Android that lets me track graphs of what I'm wearing - everything else is just motivation for me to keep making it better!
- Grant

asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I just installed the app from Google Play. Nice application. 2 issues:

1. when you add a new watch, the name and model fields do not auto-capitalise the first letter of the first word. Usually such fields do it automatically since the fields are to contain names.

2. when I tried to add a previous day's usage of a watch as its FIRST usage entry (using the calendar icon), the explanatory words in the empty usage window says to press on the "wear today" button and then change it from there. I did so and it automatically added an entry that the watch had been worn today, which wasn't correct. There did not appear to be any way to adjust the wear today entry before it was entered. I went back to the usage window and realised there was no way to delete or edit the wrong entry, even if I unlocked the padlock. Unlocking the padlock only allowed the user to add new entries.

Otherwise, I like it!

Relevant details of phone and Android version in case it makes a difference: Moto G6 Plus, Android 9 (I see no reason to update my phone at present).
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Hi asqwerth,
Thanks for the feedback!

1. I've fixed this in v1.3, will get that out in the next 2-3 weeks depending on what else I include with it :)

2. Good shout on the empty history message, I hadn't realised that! I'll get that updated in v1.3 as well as it'll be a quick fix. In terms of removing a date, if you unlock the screen with the padlock you can then swipe left to delete any entry (only works once unlocked) - This is one of the few pages where I don't have any help info, which also seems like a gap! I'll look into this too, but at least it lets you get your records sorted out just now!

Glad you're enjoying it so far!
- Grant

asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Stif wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:33 pm ....In terms of removing a date, if you unlock the screen with the padlock you can then swipe left to delete any entry (only works once unlocked) - This is one of the few pages where I don't have any help info, which also seems like a gap! I'll look into this too, but at least it lets you get your records sorted out just now!...
Ah so! Thanks, I've corrected the record now, but help info would certainly help.

Another issue discovered:

The "search collection" function does not capture details entered into the "Notes" field.

I thought I would add "vintage" or "quartz" as descriptors only in "Notes" rather than under "Model" but they weren't picked up in a search of those terms.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Stif
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

The search currently just searches the make and model only - that's a good point though, I hadn't considered that as a use case for notes, but it makes sense.

I'll add that to the list too - I might be able to add a toggle to expand the reach of search to include additional fields, but would need to think through how that'll work from a UI point of view.
asqwerth
- Grant

NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Tags could also be interesting
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
Stif
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Oooooh, now that's a thought!
I'll need to have a think about how to architect that, but creating a list of pre-determined tags that can be added to watches should be pretty easy - it's how to allow some custom tags I'll need to consider - I could then build a 'filter by tag' option...

Going back to early conversation in this topic, that'd also be a great way to support management of a large collection (and another option to add to an 'advanced' filter for the graphs).

This one feels like a whole release on it's own (like adding price info)...
- Grant