WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - beta builds submitted!

Post by Stif »

JAFO wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:23 pm I checked the play store without finding the app. Is it coming?
I submitted the first build to Google for review on Friday - once they approve it it should go out to the users that signed up for the beta test and then I'll release it within a few days - I'll update the title of this topic when it gets a proper release (and I can edit the first post with links to the Play and App stores too!) :)

@Tim:
Thanks for that! I'm using a noSQL database, but I'm sure I can provide some kind of wear data export - everything in my database is an Object, so I'm sure I should be able to write something that exports the make, model and a list of dates easily enough.
I'll definitely make some improvements to the graphs too (purely because, that's what I want to use - the whole purpose of building the app was to let me draw graphs :lol: ).

v1.1 will definitely have backup to a local file, but I'll investigate cloud options too (the challenge may be the overhead involved in having to get users to sign-into a cloud provider, which is not just more code, but also the overhead of updating published policy documents etc - but having a downloadable file will be step 1 for that anyway).

Your 80:20 point makes perfect sense, and whilst I'm keen on feedback (it's already making things better!), at the end of the day I'll be focusing on what provides the most value to the most users - as that is literally my day job!
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Quick update: Apple have approved the app for publication, so should be love within 24 hours!
Screenshot_20220907-143755.png
Google still haven't approved the release for beta testing (I've heard it takes about a week, so hopefully not much longer!) Hopefully it'll be with the Android volunteers soon! (Can't believe my first published app is on iOS first...)

Actually started typing up a blog-like post earlier, about what I was working on over lunch, so will post that later on...
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by TheBeatles »

App is showing up in App Store
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
Stif
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Would you prefer those of us in the TestFlight instance keep using that version, or migrate to the production one? If I move I assume my collection won't come with it, right?
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

I actually don't know how it works! I think if you load it via the store on top of the test release it'll still show the collection, but honestly not sure.

I've no objection to you staying on the test version until I get the backups sorted out though! It stays live for 90 days, so should get v1.1 out in plenty of time.
- Grant

NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Live on iOS! Android coming soon...

Post by NationOfLaws »

It actually just seems like it downloaded on top of the old version. I don't have two of the same apps on my device, in other words. Collection is still there.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
Stif
rkovars

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Live on iOS! Android coming soon...

Post by rkovars »

I'll stay on the Beta for now to help with testing backup etc on iOS.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

That's good to know! (On Android I know that's 100% the case, as all a beta does is let you release the production app early, to a closed group - a full release is just changing their config - iOS is a quite different though, as Test Flight wraps all the feedback functionality around it too, although it is the same app bundle that eventually goes to the full store.)

I've been really impressed with Test Flight actually - the way feedback appears directly in it, stored for review and reference is brilliant.

I'm hoping on Android that when I install the beta app it maintains my collection from the debug build I've been running... I think that's far less certain, so I'm still keeping my spreadsheet off to the side! (And once I have the 'real' version I'll stick to using my older Pixel 4 for test purposes, rather than my current phone!)
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

rkovars wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:44 pm I'll stay on the Beta for now to help with testing backup etc on iOS.
I'll keep everyone's name on the list unless they ask to be removed anyway, so when v1.1 lands in Test Flight you'll get another email about it :)

Really appreciate your input (and that goes for everyone that's been involved so far) - genuinely over the moon to have fully published my own app. Definitely more to do, but feeling pretty motivated right now :lol:
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
tikkathree
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

(Wee note: I started writing this as I finished off my lunch today, before I got the 'your app is live!' email)

Thought I'd post a wee quick update today for those interested in the 'how it's built' side of things - this might well be the most boring post ever made, so apologies in advance: TL;DR: A 'simple' change can take a fair bit of thought...

Firstly, here's a wee view of the Trello board I'm using to track the project, and version backlogs. Essentially the 'to do' list is all the activities I might want to progress - some built from things I'd like, some from comments here and some from feedback via App Store Connect:
Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 13.56.03.png
The 'version backlog' column is a wee sub-list of things from the backlog that I want to commit to do for the next release - you'll also see a 'version bump' ticket in there - that's to remind me that before releasing I have to update a configuration file to change from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0 (for example). If I fail to do this, the app stores will remind me anyway, as every build submitted needs a unique value, and they should increment.

Tickets move through 'in progress' to 'done' and then I clear down the done column when I do a build/release.

Updating the database model
Something that more than one of you asked for is a 'Reference Number' field, so I spent some time on my lunch break today working on that - it might seem trivial, but there's actually a fair amount of work involved in adding a new field (and if I get it wrong it can add issues that cause apps to crash and that's a very bad thing! )

First, I quickly add it to my data model - essentially adding a couple of lines of code that say "a watch has a reference number" to give them a place in memory, which looks like this:
Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 14.18.33 (1).png
Next, I need to delete the TypeAdaptor file in my repository - this is an auto generated file that tells my app how to communicate with the database - whenever I change my model, I need to delete this and generate a new one (by writing a quick command into Terminal and waiting a minute or two).

I love doing things in the command line, as it makes me feel like Ferris Bueller :lol:

That gets the app set up to store this value in the database for each watch... but at this point, I've broken existing behaviour, as we now have a field that's not being populated by any of the other code and will cause things to break if left as they are!

Thankfully, the app is architected so that there's only a single point where watches (or rather 'watch objects') are created and added to the database - therefore, to prevent failures I just need to update this method to make sure that for every watch something is added here - which is as easy as adding a new argument to the method (i.e. a note to 'expect this value') and passing that into the database when the method is called (i.e. someone presses the 'add watch' button.

With that done, we now have a new field and a way to populate it!.... but we've not updated the UI yet to let us add or display the reference number!

There are currently two screens where this might matter - the 'add watch' and 'view watch' screens. Add watch makes sense to do first, and its also the easier one - and nicely, this field is almost identical to the 'serial number' field, so let's just copy that and change a few names...

Next, I do something similar on the 'view watch' page, but this is a bit more complex - as all fields are 'locked' when first shown, so whilst I'm essentially doing the same thing (copying, pasting and modifying the code that generates the 'show serial number' field) I also need to make adjustments to some wee blocks of code that manage if you can currently edit the fields - it's all easy, but needs a bit of focus to make sure nothing is missed - here's a wee sample:
Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 18.01.57 (1).png
Essentially this is just saying "can we edit this field', if not make it editable when I click the icon - if it is editable, save the update when I click here!" (with a bit of extra code to only actually update it if it's actually changed!)

Finally, I'll run a wee build onto the iOS simulator or my phone and test it out before saving the changes to my code repo... and the end result:
Screenshot_20220907-135917 (1).jpg
...and at that point my lunch was pretty much over! :lol:

Just enough time to start writing this post before realising I really couldn't finish it, so kept it for later - well done if you made it this far without your eyes glazing over!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
gannet
- Grant

gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by gannet »

I for one completely understand pretty much all off that!. But then I should do.... it being my day job😀

Document based db is a good shout for rather than relational.

Congratulations on your great progress so far!
These users thanked the author gannet for the post:
Stif
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Live on iOS! Android beta test now live!

Post by Stif »

Thanks gannet! Feel free to tell me how poor my code is ;) :lol:

Quick update for the Android folks - finally got a notification from Google this morning that the app is approved - it's live to those that signed up for the beta test now (I'll PM you a link, as I didn't seem to get one in my email like I expected).

I'll leave the beta app live for a few days to get feedback (especially to confirm any unusual behaviour!), and then click the launch button to release to everyone else :)

In the meantime, I'm continuing to plug away at version 1.1...
- Grant

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Live on iOS! Android beta test now live!

Post by Lavaine »

Stif wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:14 am Thanks gannet! Feel free to tell me how poor my code is ;) :lol:

Quick update for the Android folks - finally got a notification from Google this morning that the app is approved - it's live to those that signed up for the beta test now (I'll PM you a link, as I didn't seem to get one in my email like I expected).

I'll leave the beta app live for a few days to get feedback (especially to confirm any unusual behaviour!), and then click the launch button to release to everyone else :)

In the meantime, I'm continuing to plug away at version 1.1...
Not sure if you PM'ed the link to everyone that signed up, but I did not receive one.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

I've sent something along now, sorry was sure I'd sent the link to everyone (but was busy at work today so probably just messed up!)
- Grant

rkovars

Post by rkovars »

I noticed today that on my iPhone 13 pro when adding an image to a watch Select From Gallery is pretty low on screen. Targets that low can be difficult to tap because the OS thinks that you are trying to swipe up from the bottom to dismiss the app. A small thing to add to the list. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London