WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
rkovars
CW-watches: 5

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by rkovars »

Stif wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:24 am @watchaholic in the next update I think I'll look at showing less information on the grid view for smaller screens - maybe just show a shorter format date or the times worn depending on the view filter - will need to have a think about that!

Back to the subject of crashes - I now do see a small number in the daily stats, and I've been able to get a single crash report from them!

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 11.16.38.png

It looks like the file picker has caused this one, so not sure that would be causing the background crashes that you've seen @rkovars, but I'll update the library in the next release (I actually did update this one for this release, but see that over the last two weeks two updates have come out for it, so I suspect the library dev has noticed issues elsewhere too!

I'll continue to keep an eye on the daily reports to see how widespread this is and to see if any other suspects pop up in the logs - it'll be easy to push out a quick patch release ahead of the next 'full' release, but would like to capture as many fixes as possible if there's more than one underlying cause!
I didn't add any photos or anything. Just the usual 'add wear' and adding dates to the wear data in the past for when I forgot to add one. So I'm not sure why it would be the file picker.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by Stif »

A few more days and still very small crash numbers showing... and only one additional set of logs, still only pointing to the file picker! :shock:
Thankfully the reported numbers are still tiny compared to overall usage!

Whilst watching those stats though, I've also been focused on the next update and what it'll bring, so thought I'd share a bit to get some early input/feedback (sorry, this might be a long one!)

To set the scene - I want to add additional data points (movement type, purchase price, dial diameter etc) but in the apps current form to do that I'd need to:
  • Add the additional data points to the watch object
  • Update the 'add watch' page to accept new data inputs
  • Update the view/edit watch page to accept and display the inputs.
That's a step too many! Why aren't add and edit the same! Grant, what were you thinking! :lol:

So, before embarking on extending the data model, I'm first focusing on fixing this glaring issue - I already have a solution that I implemented in my other app. That includes a wee notebook, and whilst thinking about it, it dawned on me that you do three things with a note (and in our context a watch record!) - you add it, you view it or you edit it.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this whilst building WristCheck, as it seems to obvious to me now, but what's needed isn't different pages in the app for each, it's a single page that behaves as a state machine. i.e. one page can seamlessly transform between an add, edit and view state!

As a wee refresher, here's the current Add Watch and View Watch pages:
Screenshot_20230913-123230.jpg
Screenshot_20230913-122825.jpg
Notice that the layout is quite different and the 'add watch' page looks really sparse!

Now here's the updated version - I've not implemented all the logic yet, but everything on screen is fully functional from a View point of view - second screenshot is the whole page in an Edit state... Add will look identical aside from the data won't be pre-populated as no watch will have been created yet!
Screenshot_20230913-122850.jpg
Screenshot_20230913-122912.jpg
It may not be obvious from the second screenshot, but when editing, rather than doing it one field at a time, you can now edit everything and then either hit the save button that will be at the bottom of the screen, or the save icon in the top right (I'm also going to ensure you can't hit the 'back' button without a 'do you want to save changes' warning if anything has changed!

For now, pictures and wear dates work exactly the same (and are already fully functional).

The service interval field is also now a field where you can enter a number via keyboard, rather than a drop down - it'll accept any value between 0-99 (if you so wish!) Although I've still to allow it to handle no value here!

So, very much a work in progress - a bit of tidying up to do and a bit more logic to implement - as well as the date fields, but working on those now (and they'll work in the correct format for the phones region all going well! So as well as a picker you can enter in proper DD/MM/YYYY format, or in that weird MM/DD/YYYY format that's used across the pond ;) :lol:

Still a while away from even getting a test version of this out, but as mentioned at the start, open to comments whilst I'm working on it!
I'll also be including some further updates to libraries in this release as well as seeing if I can fix the crashing issues!
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

I've made a bit more progress with this, and started to think that as the list of fields grew bigger (especially as only two fields are actually mandatory - the make and model) and with the desire to add MORE fields of information the page looked a bit too much... I was also thinking that for some users, the 'notes' field may be the most common field to update, and having it right at the bottom would mean opening the watch, scrolling down, updating and then saving.

So with that in mind, I had a think about grouping together the various elements of data about a watch together and have been prototyping this:
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 12 iOS16.4 - 2023-09-15 at 12.15.51.png
Shown in the 'add' view (which doesn't yet have the picture area at the top.

Essentially, the add / view / edit pages are now split in half - the top half is the images, wear button and some stats (if in 'view'), and the bottom half has a bottom app row allowing you to navigate between key info (make, model, serial & reference numbers - case size stats and movement type may also go here), schedule (purchase date, service interval, service dates etc - will add 'sold date' here too), Costs (purchase price, sold price & a 'cost per wear' value will calculate here... it's currently empty!) and Notes, which currently only shows the notes field, but I also thought that if I add a 'tags' system that would also go here.

When adding a new watch, there's an 'add more' button that cycles through these (or you can jump between them), whilst on the 'Edit' view you'll have a single save button at the bottom (plus the icon in the top right that can also be used to save changes).

May need to remove the 'add watch' button on all but the last tab due to weird field validation results, but playing with that just now!

As always, would love to hear your thoughts - if nothing else I think this looks a hell of a lot better, as well as making the underlying code nicer to work with! I'm hopeful it also makes looking at details of your watches easier too (although it'll need a bit of testing on small screens I think! It does all scroll though!)
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

I've managed to make some great progress over the weekend, but now have a few questions...

Firstly - no further crashes have shown! If it is mainly the file picker that could just be because nobody else is trying to do a backup though... I've done an update of the file picker library as well as a host of others though with the hope that this resolves any stability issues. When I get to the point of release (still a while away yet!) I'll do my best to do some thorough testing of to see if i can re-create any issues... also looking to investigate the possibility of implementing the 'Crashlytics' library from Firebase, which would allow more detailed crash reporting I think.

Second - the add/view/edit view replacement is now fully functional! All existing data now works, with the only outstanding task to define validation code on a few fields! As mentioned, I think this looks night and day better than my original build, and hopefully makes more sense to navigate!
Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 15.31.29.png
I've also fully implemented a new 'Movement' field, to track watch movements - I was originally going to keep it simple as 'Automatic, Manual, Quartz'... but then I wondered if that was enough detail so currently have:
  • Mechanical - Manual
  • Mechanical - Automatic
  • Analogue Quartz
  • Digital Quartz
  • Ana-Digi Quartz
  • Kinetic
  • MechaQuartz
  • Smartwatch
  • Tourbillon
  • Solar Quartz
  • Tuning Fork
  • Other
Would be interested to hear thoughts on this - is it too much? Any glaring omissions?

In the same vein, I'm next going to implement a category (these may make for nice graphs to add to a revamped 'collection stats' section!)

I haven't drilled into this yet, by my thoughts are the following:
  • Dive
  • Dress
  • Flight
  • Field
  • Tool
  • Calendar (is this worth splitting out?)
  • Chronograph
  • Travel
  • Moon-Phase
  • Chiming
Are calendar, moon-phase and chiming more focused on the complication than the watch purpose? Or are they rare and sought after enough that they make sense as their own categories?

In the future I'd love to add a tagging ability, to allow a user to pick their own tags to add to a watch (which would allow some really nice granular views of a collection and ways to filter graphs!) but that'll not be anytime soon as want to get this view and then the graph view revamped first.

Once I've got the category implemented (which is honestly an hours job now that I've rebuilt the page framework!) I'm going to get my head around adding in some currency based fields (purchase & sold price) - which I think is a bit harder, as these need to be able to change depending on the users locale data (i.e. GBP in the UK, $ in the US, Yen and no decimal places in Japan!...), and then I need to be able to comfortably do calculations with the data to work things out! (Definitely open to input from the more tech-focused folks here if you have any suggestions!)
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
OllyW
- Grant

timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I've noticed a problem with the timing of 'Daily Reminder' notifications.

I have a custom reminder set for 19:05 and that works correctly for my home timezone, currently BST. I was in Italy last week (+ 1 hrs) where the notification was firing at 20:05. Upon return to the UK it went back to working correctly again at 19:05.

It looks to me that the timer is being hard set to the current timezone when the notification was created but not subsequently following the local time on the phone as it automatically changes when moving through timezones? I seem to remember seeing the same behaviour when we switched to BST in the spring but forgot to raise it then...

I'm currently running App Ver. 1.5.1 (and the previous version when we switched to BST) on i0S 16.6.1.
These users thanked the author timor54 for the post:
Stif
Tim
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thanks Tim - I'd forgotten about that! I noticed the same thing when the clocks changed and meant to come back to it - I think it's a simple fix (funnily enough, the bank I work for had the exact same problem a few years ago which lead to a major incident...)

It's down to the way the time is specified - I'll brush up on that and get a fix together!
watchaholic
- Grant

NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Stif wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:57 pm I've also fully implemented a new 'Movement' field, to track watch movements - I was originally going to keep it simple as 'Automatic, Manual, Quartz'... but then I wondered if that was enough detail so currently have:
  • Mechanical - Manual
  • Mechanical - Automatic
  • Analogue Quartz
  • Digital Quartz
  • Ana-Digi Quartz
  • Kinetic
  • MechaQuartz
  • Smartwatch
  • Tourbillon
  • Solar Quartz
  • Tuning Fork
  • Other
Would be interested to hear thoughts on this - is it too much? Any glaring omissions?

In the same vein, I'm next going to implement a category (these may make for nice graphs to add to a revamped 'collection stats' section!)

I haven't drilled into this yet, by my thoughts are the following:
  • Dive
  • Dress
  • Flight
  • Field
  • Tool
  • Calendar (is this worth splitting out?)
  • Chronograph
  • Travel
  • Moon-Phase
  • Chiming
Two thoughts here: 1) I probably don't care about this list too terribly much beyond the top few most popular, but I'd sort by popularity. Probably Mechanical - Automatic, Mechanical - Manual, Quartz, Digital, and then other with a text field would work. I did see you're considering custom tagging; I think that would work as long as you could reuse tags you created. 2) Instead of, or maybe in addition to, a watch type pick list, a complication list might be useful.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
Stif
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thanks Jameson - yes, I've tried to order by the likely most used! The main concern I have right now is that when you select them it's not obvious that the list can be scrolled!

Tagging is probably a while away, but my thoughts were to build a mini 'tag database' which would provide a list of options that the user could toggle on/off, and build an ability for custom ones to be added. As there would then be consistent options across all watches, they'd form a useful filter list for things like the charts.

I was thinking of a complication list too - these things are where it gets a little more complex as like with tagging it'd be a list of options to add to the watch record (on/off), whilst everything currently is a single value field. Not a difficult add, but again I'm not sure how best to implement from a UI perspective without making things messy! Would love some input/feedback on that once you've all got a look and run at the new build!

On that subject, I'm continuing to make great progress - under the 'costs' tab above (that I've now renamed, but still think it needs a better title!) I now have fields to save who (or where) the watch was bought from and sold to (useful things to keep a record of!) and I've got a single 'purchase price' field I'm playing with just now - when in edit mode it takes a number as input (a whole number only, no decimals to keep things simple across currencies) - when the record is saved, in view mode the field shows the value (hopefully, still work in progress!) based on the devices default settings (so it'll show Yen in Japan, Dollar in the US, Euro across Europe etc) and should show values in the way users expect locally (i.e. £1,000.00 format in the UK/US, €1.000,00 in Europe etc)

In the view mode I'll then add additional fields based on calculations (e.g. cost per wear), and can do some additional sums to make the collection view a bit more interesting (going to use the category and movement types for more info here too - maybe some mini graphs...)
- Grant

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

On the currency front, let that be a free choice. Just because a local currency is one thing doesn't mean a watch hasn't been bought in another.
These users thanked the author jtc for the post:
Stif
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Oris | Bremont | Zenith | Rolex
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Maybe default to local currency but allow for a user to select
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
Stif
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

jtc wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:58 pm On the currency front, let that be a free choice. Just because a local currency is one thing doesn't mean a watch hasn't been bought in another.
It's an interesting point, but the challenge with this is that unless every entry is in the same units I won't be able to do secondary calculations with them.

Weirdly, it turns out that no matter where you are the app reports a US English setting, so I'm currently building a picker, so the user will have full control of the currency setting...but it will be the same throughout the app.
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

After a couple of weeks of building and testing I think I've got something that's ready to share!

I'll be running some builds today and submitting to the app stores for review - as usual, these will land with the beta testers first (it can take a few days for the review first).
Once submitted I'll make a start on the additional work for a full roll out (e.g. submitting new screenshots and updating the app descriptions etc).

So, what's included?
  • Per previous updates, a full UI refresh of the add/view/edit watch page!
  • New data fields: Category, Movement, Purchase & Sold price, seller & buyer info and new 'cost per wear' field populated for each watch!
  • More data analysis! The 'collection info' section in the stats section now has a graphical view of the categories and movement types that make up your collection, and some summary info about collection value
  • A 'first use demo' which runs the first time a user accesses the app to give a quick overview of the main functions
  • Crash fixes - I hope! - I've updated every internal library and done as much testing as I could using the iOS simulator, so I really hope that the crash issues that @rkovars and @OllyW mentioned are now resolved!
(thank you again for reporting them!)

For the collection stats and the watch view, I've also broken each down into sub-sections, which can be navigated by a bottom bar (just like the main view):
Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 14.32.01.png
I've been investigating Firebase Crashlytics too, although haven't implemented it yet as want to properly get my head around it all - I think I'll try to get this working in the next version as it should give more detailed reporting of crashes across platforms, in a single dashboard.

I'll confirm when I get the beta test approvals and then (all going well!) when the next live versions get submitted!
rkovars
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

So far everything seems to work as expected on my Android phone, but I'm still getting a crash when going to pick a backup location on the iPad - would one of you lovely iPhone gents mind giving it a go? (as I'm aware that iPads running phone apps can present some weird bugs).

Totally rebuilding the backup feature really is long overdue, I think I need to tackle that next and implement some better error handling while I'm at it!

If it is affecting phones too then I'll see if I can get it patched before releasing this version.
- Grant

rkovars

Post by rkovars »

Stif wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:01 pm So far everything seems to work as expected on my Android phone, but I'm still getting a crash when going to pick a backup location on the iPad - would one of you lovely iPhone gents mind giving it a go? (as I'm aware that iPads running phone apps can present some weird bugs).

Totally rebuilding the backup feature really is long overdue, I think I need to tackle that next and implement some better error handling while I'm at it!

If it is affecting phones too then I'll see if I can get it patched before releasing this version.
Hey Grant, You are going to see a few crash reports from me. I tried to backup to iCloud a couple times and it crashed each time. I also tried selecting 'On My Phone' and it still crashed. That used to work for me but seems to be broken now. To be honest I haven't tried backing up in quite a while so I am not sure when it broke (my last backup was 11/30/22).
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thanks Rich! I think this has been broken since the last release, but hoped that a library update would be enough to sort it. The logs are unclear as to the exact point of failure, but I think this was the cause of most of the crashes reported in live.

It works ok on Android, and always asks for permission at that point, I'll see if trying to manually trigger a prompt there helps - if not I've got a couple of other 'easy' things that might work.

Definitely think I'll be rebuilding this (at least for iOS) soon!

Any sign of your mystery background crash since the update?
- Grant