WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by jtc »

A nicer fix might be number of days rather than a specific date. Solves all text woes!

Worn yesterday
Worn 3 days ago
Worn last week
Worn 6 weeks ago
Worn 3 months ago
Worn over a year ago
These users thanked the author jtc for the post:
Stif
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Oris | Bremont | Zenith | Rolex
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by Stif »

I really like that idea! I'll consider something like that for a future update - might avoid the grid view unless I can find a way to get the boxes to resize easily (I'm sure it'll be doable!) - nice idea for the summary page with the exact date available in the watch page itself.
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

After a bit of delay with Apple's approval process (when they tested they said the app wasn't surfacing the tracking permission, although I could see it did when running locally... sorted with a few messages back and forth!) the latest app build is now live on both iOS and Android!

I see it keeps giving weird background crashes to @rkovars still though, but I don't get any information through to understand why so I'll be keeping an eye on the iOS Analytics dashboard to see if I get any crash reports now the build is live - if I do I'll patch them quickly (I keep my code split into different branches to allow me to patch quickly without affecting any new work in progress!)

As mentioned in a previous post, I also registered a web domain this week - www.wristcheck.app - to act as a quick landing page (going to update my forum signature with this rather than two separate links). I think I've got a couple of hundred (maybe a few more!) regular users on the app, but figured after almost a year I should maybe do a bit more to raise awareness of it, so I also set up some social media accounts (on Instagram and the platform formerly known as Twitter!) - I fancied a separate space on each to focus on the watch hobby anyway, so by splitting out a separate login with a link to that landing page I'm hoping to help others find the app (and give a platform to provide direct feedback!)

I'll not fill this post with links - this thread was always about getting input and feedback and bringing you all along on the journey with me - but if you're interested, you can find links to each (and the codebase itself!) at the landing page!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 2):
asqwerthOllyW
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

OllyW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by OllyW »

Just updated and the new version looks great. Really like the extra flexibility for viewing your collection.

I have found a bug on iOS though. It crashes the app every time I attempt to backup. I have used the same backup location (On My Phone / Wristcheck) but it crashes the app every time I select the folder. I have also tried selecting alternative locations but get exactly the same result.
These users thanked the author OllyW for the post:
Stif
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thanks Olly - I'll see if I can re-create the issue later on a simulator to help figure out what might be wrong - do you know what version of iOS you're running?

I did update the libraries relating to backup in the latest build and they seemed to test ok - I'll keep an eye out for any crash logs appearing on the dev portal too (don't see any yet, but not everyone sends them!)

I'd really like to re-write the whole backup piece as I've never been happy with it :(
- Grant

OllyW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by OllyW »

It's running iOS 16.6.

I've never been able to successfully back up to iCloud Drive but it's always worked when backing up to On My Phone before this update.
These users thanked the author OllyW for the post:
Stif
rkovars
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Grant I haven't gotten any crashes the last few days. I haven't been doing anything different when using the app. I thought for a while it happened when I did multiple edits at once. Like hitting a wear and then going in and adding dates right after but I've done that with no crash so it wasn't repeatable at any rate. I'll keep playing around and see if I can get anything that is repeatable.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thanks Rich - are you now using the 'live' version of the app?

I've been keeping an eye on the stats (although they report a day or two behind) and there are no crash reports, so I wonder if it's some kind of Test Flight incompatibility?

I'll update some more of the libraries that might be the culprit in the next release - good practice to keep these up to date and tested anyway!
- Grant

watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Mine unexpectedly updated on its own. No worries, I just thought I would need to do it manually. Date last worn box is a bit a small. Running an I phone 13 mini. IOS 16.6.1. Everything else see to be working as it should.
IMG_3116.png
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
Stif
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
rkovars
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Stif wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:54 pm Thanks Rich - are you now using the 'live' version of the app?

I've been keeping an eye on the stats (although they report a day or two behind) and there are no crash reports, so I wonder if it's some kind of Test Flight incompatibility?

I'll update some more of the libraries that might be the culprit in the next release - good practice to keep these up to date and tested anyway!
I'm using 1.5.1 from TestFlight. I am half wondering if it wasn't an update issue going from the live version to TestFlight. I stayed on TestFlight until it expired last time. I'll do the same this time as well unless you want me to move over. I have no issue doing either to help out.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

@watchaholic in the next update I think I'll look at showing less information on the grid view for smaller screens - maybe just show a shorter format date or the times worn depending on the view filter - will need to have a think about that!

Back to the subject of crashes - I now do see a small number in the daily stats, and I've been able to get a single crash report from them!
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 11.16.38.png
It looks like the file picker has caused this one, so not sure that would be causing the background crashes that you've seen @rkovars, but I'll update the library in the next release (I actually did update this one for this release, but see that over the last two weeks two updates have come out for it, so I suspect the library dev has noticed issues elsewhere too!

I'll continue to keep an eye on the daily reports to see how widespread this is and to see if any other suspects pop up in the logs - it'll be easy to push out a quick patch release ahead of the next 'full' release, but would like to capture as many fixes as possible if there's more than one underlying cause!
- Grant

watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Just my two cents, but it wouldn’t bother me if the wear stats were left off the front page. All the wear stats are there when you select the watch, it’s almost a bit redundant having it in both places. Maybe leave the brand on top of the photo and place the model on the bottom?? Wear stats appear just as they are after you select the watch. Just a thought. Love the app. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
Stif
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

watchaholic wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:37 pm Just my two cents, but it wouldn’t bother me if the wear stats were left off the front page. All the wear stats are there when you select the watch, it’s almost a bit redundant having it in both places. Maybe leave the brand on top of the photo and place the model on the bottom?? Wear stats appear just as they are after you select the watch. Just a thought. Love the app. :thumbup:
Pls keep all the front page details in list view. I like having all the info and there are no issues with expansion in that mode. And it works well with "last worn" and "most worn" sorting.

That's what I use list view for.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Stif
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Yeah, I'm with you on that @asqwerth - I like having the information available, but in the optional grid-view it's taking up too much space (on small screens). I think the best fix is to leave it as-is unless the screen size is below a certain size (will need to try to work out what size and then hide from the grid-view only on smaller screens. The grid view itself is (I think) all about the pictures - I find that when using that view I'm focused on the watch images more than any of the info around them.

I'm not intending to change the list view at all - as you say that bit 'just works' and it's nice to have the information I think :)

That'll then give everyone the best option I think.
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

So, whilst looking out for Crashes on the Apple App Analytics pages (strangely, a big jump one day and then back to zero... ) I also had a wee look through some of the other stats available and thought I'd share as they're interesting - if you don't like nerd data feel free to skip this post ;) :lol:

Firstly, a quick caveat that not all users opt-in to allow analytics with Apple (this is done at an OS level when you register a new phone I believe) - I'm not sure what percentage of customers opt in, but I suspect it's small.

A couple of stats jump out for WristCheck:
Last 30 days:
Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 11.34.05.png
Last 90 days:
Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 11.36.34.png
and for a quick comparison - here are the same stats from my other app 'Air Fryr'
(last 30 days)
Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 11.40.21.png
I implemented the same payment options in each (£2 / £5 / £8) - all unlocking the same ad-free option in each app, at around the same time (I actually did it first in Air Fryr as it was a new, simpler app so a good place to implement and test the solution!)

I think it's really interesting that WristCheck is a 'stickier' app - from the stats above, it looks like most iOS users access it twice a day! Which seems to then correlate with those that choose to go ad-free being more likely to select a higher payment option (although the demographic of each app is also likely very different too!)

Air Fryr is a little calculator / notebook app for air fryers so that the average usage looks like people utilising it once a week or so isn't too surprising.

From a development point of view though, I think these stats are really useful - they tell me that for WristCheck the app already keeps people using it, so growing the userbase should be a focus (for comparison, I've got 3-4 times more users on Air Fryr, I think because it's more immediately useful) - which is why I'm focused on improving the current experience and then planning to extend to additional features / stats in the app.

For Air Fryr I think the opposite is true - getting people to download it seems to be easier, but I think it needs more of a hook to increase it's usage - so the focus with that is to add more useful features (planning to make it easier to share saved notes with others and add a temperature reference guide - two things I know I want to do with it! :lol:

In terms of earnings, for anyone interested I've now earned about £150 across both apps (with a roughly even split between ad revenue and the in-app purchases) - which covered my costs for the year (£79 annually to Apple and a one-off £20 to Google) plus let me purchase the domain I mentioned earlier ( https://www.wristcheck.app and I also registered https://www.getairfryr.com ) - so amazingly I've broken even this year. I know I'll never make any real money doing this, but getting to the point where (aside from my time) it's paid for itself is awesome!

...and I don't mind devoting my time to it as it's so much fun, genuinely wish I could spend my days just working on this stuff instead of the daily grind :lol:
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 3):
OllyWrkovarsasqwerth
- Grant