WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by Stif »

Awesome, glad its proving useful!

I've been running it on my personal phone for quite a few days now - I've mainly left it ordered by the last worn date, and love seeing the list re-order when I've changed watches and captured it in the app :lol:

I find it much quicker to find the watches too with the addition of the pictures (I think I've settled on using the grid view, but have had feedback from elsewhere that they still prefer the list style view, so glad I kept the option in place :) )
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by watchaholic »

Any word in how the IOS version is coming along?
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

I just had a look and see two things on the Apple dev portal...

First - the good news is that Apple have approved it and it just needs to be released...buuuuut...

Secondly, some feedback from @NationOfLaws (who I hope doesn't mind me sharing his screenshot - please shout if you'd like me to remove it!) that the grid view is showing text pushing out of the lines in some instances on the grid view:
Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 16.11.37.png
I'm not sure what differs in the text length though! I can't reproduce this on Android (the only physical devices that I have) but I'll play about with the iPhone simulator and see if I can get a quick fix together! That'll probably delay the release by a few days as it'll need to go back out for Apple's approval as well as a quick retest!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
watchaholic
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

Sorry, man, I should’ve tried to grid view earlier.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
Stif
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Not sure if you’re just using system default fonts but my guess is that Apple’s San Francisco font is wider than Roboto or whatever Android is using nowadays.
Stif
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:52 pm Sorry, man, I should’ve tried to grid view earlier.
Not at all - really appreciate you finding it!

It's maybe a mix of the fonts and I think the iPhone aspect ratio is a little narrower than most Android phones - I think I've got a fix though:
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 14 Pro - 2023-09-04 at 17.04.43.png
I've added some constraints so that the manufacturer and model fields can't overflow into two lines (as long titles would have also caused this) and I've adjusted the padding around the text a little... I think between those changes it should work ok! (Also spun up a simulator using a phone the same as yours and was easy to re-create the issue!)

I'll get a fresh build across later this evening and submit to Apple at the same time, ready to release once it's had a wee retest :)
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

I've got confirmation that the new build has been approved for testing (that's usually pretty quick) so should be available on TestFlight now - @NationOfLaws do you mind checking if it resolves the overlapping issue for you?

I've submitted the build for App Store review too, as that can take a few days - if it all looks ok I'll release it once approved :)

This was a fun wee hiccup - unlike the list view the grid view doesn't have pre-made templates that I could make use of, so I built it out myself, but didn't factor in longer names or narrower screens (and I'm limited in what I can test on iOS - I could really do with a laptop with a much bigger hard drive!) The fix was surprisingly straightforward though - Flutter has decent tools to constrain things like text which is hopefully enough to keep this under control!

I made a wee start on the watch view rebuild today too - there's a surprising amount of complexity to it, bringing it all together like a little puzzle to make a single screen, which will work in different states as well as capture all the data points required (and separate out the logic!)

Hoping I can put this together over the next couple of weeks, which should then make it even easier to add additional data points to the app!
- Grant

NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

IMG_1293.png
I sent you a screenshot. Looks good to me!
Stif
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Fantastic, thank you!
- Grant

asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Stif wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:16 pm ....
Secondly, some feedback from @NationOfLaws (who I hope doesn't mind me sharing his screenshot - please shout if you'd like me to remove it!) that the grid view is showing text pushing out of the lines in some instances on the grid view:

.......I can't reproduce this on Android (the only physical devices that I have) but I'll play about with the iPhone simulator and see if I can get a quick fix together! That'll probably delay the release by a few days as it'll need to go back out for Apple's approval as well as a quick retest!
It does happen on my Android phone (a pretty old Motorola g6+) but I think that's because I squeeze many terms into the "model" field so that it's searchable (not many other fields are at the moment).

See this screenie:

https://imgur.com/uisUjqG

Sorry I'm only reporting this now - I didn't even test the grid view until you posted about NationofLaws' bug report in iOS. I was only interested in the list view.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Stif
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thanks @asqwerth , I'll publish the patch to Android too!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
asqwerth
- Grant

rkovars

Post by rkovars »

I submitted another crash yesterday but noticed that I hadn't updated your patches yet. I'll keep an eye on it and keep submitting the reports when it happens. If there is a way for me to send you more detailed logs let me know.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thanks Rich - I didn't get any logs via Test Flight that I could see, just a report that a crash occurred. I think the issue I got Android lots for might be Android specific and relating to some underlying OS things now that I've investigated a bit, so unlikely to be the same!

On iOS does it provide the user a crash report that can be copied? If it does, would you mind emailing it to feedback@wristcheck.app (I registered that domain today so at least it'll get some use :lol: )

Is it crashing consistently? I'll keep an eye out to see if any other logs appear!

Edit: To save a second post! The Android fix for the text overlay issue should be live now too!
- Grant

asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Stif wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:01 pm Thanks Rich - I didn't get any logs via Test Flight that I could see, just a report that a crash occurred. I think the issue I got Android lots for might be Android specific and relating to some underlying OS things now that I've investigated a bit, so unlikely to be the same!

On iOS does it provide the user a crash report that can be copied? If it does, would you mind emailing it to feedback@wristcheck.app (I registered that domain today so at least it'll get some use :lol: )

Is it crashing consistently? I'll keep an eye out to see if any other logs appear!

Edit: To save a second post! The Android fix for the text overlay issue should be live now too!
Thanks for the quick action, Stif. It's not perfect though. I see only the top half of the "worn xx times" line for some entries. And for other entries, somehow the "last worn" line extends the date to 2 lines, so there is no space to display the "worn xx times" line. See the Super Compressor entry in the screenshot. My font setting is on default font and size.

And the "model" line is cut off if you have a long description. I guess that's inevitable if you allow just 1 line for this, in order to keep each entry within the box frame.

I don't use the grid view at all, but I'm letting you know for the purposes of squashing bugs.

These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Stif
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thanks for the updated screenshot, really useful!

The model names being cut off was planned - as part of the fix I forced everything to be a max of 1 line, and to end with some ellipsis if it was too long.

The other part of the fix was to ensure it anything was to overlap it would 'hide' within the box, which is what you're seeing with the date line - the box size though is determined by the screen space - I wonder if there's something that I can do to ensure a minimum box height?

I think it'll only present on smaller screens - I wonder if the Google Play console will let me see the various screen sizes people are using the app with?
- Grant