WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by iain »

0uatiOW wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:16 pm - I’ll soon find out if I experience the same difficulties as Iain.

I’ve found a work around. It seems that if I input a watch and include additional info in the notes box, it slows the app and will time out when trying to add a photo.

If I add a watch but don’t add the additional info in the notes, then it will let me upload a photo. I then save the watch, then go back in to update the notes box.

I’m not sure what it is about the notes box it doesn’t like.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Stif
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by Stif »

Thanks for the update Iain - I wonder what it is about the notes it doesn't like? In theory its just passing a big string of text which shouldn't be too much effort!

Do the notes save ok if you save them separately? Would you mind sharing an example of the note content? Wondering if there are any special characters in there (especially things like semi-colons) that the database might not like if entered when a new watch object is created, but might be perfectly happy with if the watch already exists?

When I get a minute I'll take a wee look through the code as well - I can't remember exactly how saving an image works when the watch doesn't exist yet (I think I just hold the picture in memory until the watch exists and then sneakily add it after the watch is created - if the pictures are large I wonder if it's simply a memory issue?)
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I’m not sure to be honest but here’s a screenshot. I’ve just added them in as separate lines and then gone straight to adding the photo.

22F000F6-61C7-4130-884D-3A4850836A94.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Stif
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thanks, when I get a minute I'll plug that into an iOS Simulator and see if I can recreate the issue - if I can I might be able to get some logs to understand what's happening.
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
curiousdabbler
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

**(long overdue) BUMP**

I've been pretty quiet on the forum for a while as work has been frankly manic the past six months, and the forum isn't great on my phone (I *hate* tapatalk!) so I've just been lurking and dropping the odd 'like' here and there. But with the sunshine returning to Scotland my energy levels seem to take a massive leap, so I've been dusting off my laptop and have been hard at work on a long overdue v1.4!

(Actually, I took a wee detour and released a couple of wee apps to get back in the groove - a wee helper app for the game Metroid Prime which I hacked together over a weekend, and a calculator/notebook app for my new Air Fryer - called 'Air Fryr', which I regret as it makes it hard to find on the app stores!).

@iain - I didn't realise I hadn't come back on your issue above! I did identify a bug in the way I saved images (they'd not save at all if the watch name had special characters in it - sorry Bell & Ross owners!!) - I've fixed that in v1.4, but did see a similar issue to what you describe when testing that in the simulator (in fact, it made my laptop fan go crazy! so I'll need to investigate further - I'm wary it's a bug in the library I'm using...

v1.4 is relatively light but includes:
  • * WristCheck Pro (finally!) - pick a payment to turn off ads (I used the wee Air Fryer app to pilot this, as it was a smaller codebase, and it actually works!)
    * Bug fixes mentioned above
    * An option in chart options to show the charts in watchbox order, or ascending/descending based on most worn (working on this just now).
    * A redesign to the sidebar menu, including a link to leave a direct review on the App/Play store
Additionally, I've expanded on a wee hidden pop-up I have that lets me see some stats to help with testing (specifically to help me debug any potential payment issues)
simulator_screenshot_4EA59B07-BED4-4659-8DD9-508012B0B48D.png
Happy to share a bit more if anyone is interested?

I'm planning to release this within the next week, and then I want to start working on some 'value' type stats - purchase/sale prices along with some associated graphs and stats, as these seem to be some of the most asked for features - as always though, open to further suggestions!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 4):
asqwerthiainjtcOllyW
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

So, the release has landed with the beta testers, and like clockwork there's a nice shiny bug that I missed myself - I thought I'd make a wee post about it though as it's an interesting one! (If you're a total nerd that is!)

So, as mentioned in v1.4 you can choose a default sort order for your wear stats, which should look like this:
Screenshot_20230423-235400.png
Nicely sorted in descending order of how often they've been worn...

However, when you filter it down it looks like this:
Screenshot_20230423-235416.png
and that's just not right! But interestingly, it's also not in the original watchbox order... but why!

So, to explain it let's go back to how I go about creating the sorted graph. I've mentioned before that rather than using a relational database, I use an object based one. If your eyes are glazing over, essentially that means that rather than the data looking like a spreadsheet, it looks like just a list of watches. Each 'watch' is it's own object, and is responsible for knowing about itself (so a watch has a make, a model and a big old list of dates associated with it)...
But in my infinite wisdom, I also thought a watch should know what information it was showing in any graph - so as well as a big list of dates (called it's 'wearList') that only really changes when you wear a watch and make the list bigger, the watch also has a second, shorter list called 'filteredWearList' - every time you change the chart filter, every watch in the collection re-calculates it's filtered list (but only if it actually has any dates that would appear in the filter).

When I implemented the sorting I forgot all about this, so the sort filter is based on the main wearList (hence when filtering, the order is actually the same as if there was no filter in place!).

Fixing this will take all of 5 minutes, I just need to change 'wearList' below to read 'filteredWearList' and we're done! (which I'll do tomorrow, as I'm actually sitting up late on my work laptop this evening prepping a presentation for Tuesday :silent: )
Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 00.04.53.png
I'm sure that's all frightfully boring and I'm sorry for boring you with it, I just thought it was a fun wee bug and when it dawned on my why it was broken I thought I'd share!

Big thanks to @rkovars for bringing it to my attention!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesasqwerthrkovars
- Grant

rkovars
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Stif wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:10 am So, the release has landed with the beta testers, and like clockwork there's a nice shiny bug that I missed myself - I thought I'd make a wee post about it though as it's an interesting one! (If you're a total nerd that is!)

So, as mentioned in v1.4 you can choose a default sort order for your wear stats, which should look like this:
Screenshot_20230423-235400.png
Nicely sorted in descending order of how often they've been worn...

However, when you filter it down it looks like this:
Screenshot_20230423-235416.png

and that's just not right! But interestingly, it's also not in the original watchbox order... but why!

So, to explain it let's go back to how I go about creating the sorted graph. I've mentioned before that rather than using a relational database, I use an object based one. If your eyes are glazing over, essentially that means that rather than the data looking like a spreadsheet, it looks like just a list of watches. Each 'watch' is it's own object, and is responsible for knowing about itself (so a watch has a make, a model and a big old list of dates associated with it)...
But in my infinite wisdom, I also thought a watch should know what information it was showing in any graph - so as well as a big list of dates (called it's 'wearList') that only really changes when you wear a watch and make the list bigger, the watch also has a second, shorter list called 'filteredWearList' - every time you change the chart filter, every watch in the collection re-calculates it's filtered list (but only if it actually has any dates that would appear in the filter).

When I implemented the sorting I forgot all about this, so the sort filter is based on the main wearList (hence when filtering, the order is actually the same as if there was no filter in place!).

Fixing this will take all of 5 minutes, I just need to change 'wearList' below to read 'filteredWearList' and we're done! (which I'll do tomorrow, as I'm actually sitting up late on my work laptop this evening prepping a presentation for Tuesday :silent: )

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 00.04.53.png

I'm sure that's all frightfully boring and I'm sorry for boring you with it, I just thought it was a fun wee bug and when it dawned on my why it was broken I thought I'd share!

Big thanks to @rkovars for bringing it to my attention!
That makes complete sense! It never occurred to me that it might be the same list with items removed that didn't match the filter terms. Glad I could help out in a very small way :D
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

@Stif thank you for the update.

The sorting by how often a watch is worn is very nice. Unfortunately I'm still having the issue of alternate bars on the graph not being labelled with the watch name. I believe this only happens after you create 30 or more entries.

It's still a useful app nevertheless.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thanks @asqwerth, I'm hoping to pick that up next! From playing around before I think the number of entries would change depending on the device screen size, but it was always somewhere around 30.

I'm going to see if I can force the page to be longer and scrollable if there are more than 30 entries to display to see if that works, but I'll keep you posted - let me see if I can get something together this weekend:)
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 2):
asqwerthrkovars
- Grant

rkovars
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

1.4.1 seems to have fixed the sorting! :thumbup: Good work! :cheers:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Great stuff!

1.4 landed on Android a couple of days ago and should be making its way to iOS users right about now! (It would have been sooner, but when I uploaded v1.4.1 I manually rejected the v1.4 I'd submitted for review - I'd sent it at the same time as I submitted the test build as the full review can take a few days - but didn't actually send the build for review... I was one button click short :lol: )

So, onto v1.5 next!

I've got some thoughts - I want to fix the bug asqwerth mentions above, but I think I'm going to do a wider rebuild of the graph page. @timor54 mentioned in some feedback a while ago that he'd like to see a past 30/90 day filter option (as opposed to just selectable months) so I'm thinking of removing the filter section of the page and building in a wee pop-up overlay with more filter options (over the past couple of months I've learned a few more things that I can do with Flutter that I think will make the UX better here!)

I also want to add in purchase and sale price options, so that collection value / cost per wear and some other fun stats can be tracked (maybe even add some new graphs!)
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 3):
watchaholicOllyWasqwerth
- Grant

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Really enjoying how simple and useful the app is. I've sent you a beer!
These users thanked the author jtc for the post:
Stif
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Oris | Bremont | Zenith | Rolex
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Thank you! Really glad you're enjoying it - tracking what I'm wearing and giving the graph a wee check is part of my morning routine now. Really love hearing that others are making use of it too :)
- Grant

OllyW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by OllyW »

I’ve been using it since Christmas and it’s a great little app. Enjoy the beer. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author OllyW for the post:
Stif
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I’m not sure what’s happened but I had a notice when I opened the app that it had updated to the latest version.

Sadly it no longer seems to work, I selected a watch to wear and it locked up. I had to force close the app and it seems to do it all the time.

Edit, I should add I’m using IOS version 16.4.1