WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
rkovars
CW-watches: 5

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by rkovars »

If I am missing it I apologize in advance! Is there a way to sort the chart so it displays most to least or least to most?
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
curiousdabbler
Junior
Junior

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by curiousdabbler »

Thanks so much for this app - top work!
I've been adding my watches today and am really impressed. I too would be happy to pay to remove the ads.
Here are things I'd like to see implemented if possible...
• Show images of the watches on the home page. This is a big one for me!
• Have a 'wear it' button on the home page for each watch, so it can be clicked without opening the watch page.
• I like how the make and model auto-capitalise, but I'd like to see the serial number default to all-caos if possible, and to have the first letter in the notes be capital by default.
• An option for a check box showing whether the watch was bought new or used would be great! This could also be handy if it was worked into the service scheduler. For instance, I bought a Trident 600 from Joshua in 2022, but it's a 2019 watch, so I'd like to display when the watch was bought by me, but also when it's first service is due.
That's it. I've no idea how you built it, and an really impressed! The pics on the home page are the main one for me if it's doable.
Oh, and a widget for Android would be epic, to allow quick access to the app. Maybe it shows the watch you're wearing with the number of days worn, to encourage you to think about another one!
Cheers!
These users thanked the author curiousdabbler for the post:
Stif
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

rkovars wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:43 pm If I am missing it I apologize in advance! Is there a way to sort the chart so it displays most to least or least to most?
Not yet...
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
rkovars
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
curiousdabbler
Junior
Junior

Post by curiousdabbler »

Also, it'd be great to have a button for automatic, manual or quartz, along with the option to name the movement. I'd also really like the option to add the lift angle of the movement, to make it easier to regulate watches!
If it's a quartz watch, being able to add the cell details would be a massive help as it'd save opening it up to check, then having to wait to get one.
Stif
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

curiousdabbler wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:44 pm Thanks so much for this app - top work!
I've been adding my watches today and am really impressed. I too would be happy to pay to remove the ads.
Here are things I'd like to see implemented if possible...
• Show images of the watches on the home page. This is a big one for me!
• Have a 'wear it' button on the home page for each watch, so it can be clicked without opening the watch page.
• I like how the make and model auto-capitalise, but I'd like to see the serial number default to all-caos if possible, and to have the first letter in the notes be capital by default.
• An option for a check box showing whether the watch was bought new or used would be great! This could also be handy if it was worked into the service scheduler. For instance, I bought a Trident 600 from Joshua in 2022, but it's a 2019 watch, so I'd like to display when the watch was bought by me, but also when it's first service is due.
That's it. I've no idea how you built it, and an really impressed! The pics on the home page are the main one for me if it's doable.
Oh, and a widget for Android would be epic, to allow quick access to the app. Maybe it shows the watch you're wearing with the number of days worn, to encourage you to think about another one!
Cheers!
Thanks for this!
  • * I did experiment (briefly) with adding images to the main view - things went a little wonky and I was busy with something else, but this is absolutely on the todo list (it'll be togglable in settings too, so that lower power phones don't have to worry about the app sticking too many images in memory... ) Shouldn't be a big job, so expect it at some point in 2023!

* Someone mentioned the 'wear it' from the main list previously too - open to suggestions on this - a simple implementation could be adding a 'swipe to wear' option or similar, so that it automatically records wearing a watch when you swipe right/left.

* Are all serial numbers always all caps? Does case ever matter? Again, open to feedback on this, as there are plenty of folks on here with more experience than me - if I do set it to all caps, it'll stay that way for everything and not sure it would be user overridable if they did want lower case - if it's the right thing to do then it'd be quick to implement :)

* I like the idea of a new/second hand option - in the near(ish) future I'll add in watch values, so that purchase/sold price etc can be tracked. In the meantime though, if you want a different service due date you can track a made up 'last serviced date', populated with the original owners purchase date - that way you're tracking when you bought it via the purchase date, but the 'last serviced date' over-rides this to calculate the next service due date :)

* I love the idea of a widget too, but it'd be a bit more effort as I think to do widgets I'd need to add additional, platform specific native code, as opposed to the cross-platform code that makes up 95% of the app (on Android that's not a huge hurdle, as I do speak Java fairly well and have a little Android native experience, but iOS would be a learning curve I think) - never say never though, I'll make a note of this!
curiousdabbler
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

curiousdabbler wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:55 pm Also, it'd be great to have a button for automatic, manual or quartz, along with the option to name the movement. I'd also really like the option to add the lift angle of the movement, to make it easier to regulate watches!
If it's a quartz watch, being able to add the cell details would be a massive help as it'd save opening it up to check, then having to wait to get one.
At the moment the notes can be used for this type of information (someone previously asked about updating the search feature to also search notes which I'll look into) - I do like the idea of having movement type etc, but may implement it in a slightly different way. I've not given it too much thought yet, but there's been some discussion previously about creating some 'tag' options for watches, which would also allow some enhanced filtering - I'd really like to do something like this so may include movement types in there.

I like the idea of cell types for battery powered watches - that feels really useful, and that's the whole point of the app!
curiousdabbler
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

iain wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:34 pm It seems to allow me to do it if I upload the photo first, however if I add the details and then upload the photo it seems to freeze and eventually time out.
I'm at a loss as to why you might get an error for this :shock: Does it work if you add the watch, and then add the pictures to the watch record after the watch has been created? (it all calls the same code, but would help pinpoint if the issue lies in the 'new watch' part of the journey)
- Grant

curiousdabbler
Junior
Junior

Post by curiousdabbler »

Oooh, and a field to show the lug width please, so it's recorded to make strap buying easier without measuring again!
Stif
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Stif wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:16 pm
iain wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:34 pm It seems to allow me to do it if I upload the photo first, however if I add the details and then upload the photo it seems to freeze and eventually time out.
I'm at a loss as to why you might get an error for this :shock: Does it work if you add the watch, and then add the pictures to the watch record after the watch has been created? (it all calls the same code, but would help pinpoint if the issue lies in the 'new watch' part of the journey)

I click the big red + button to add a watch. If I then enter all the info (Manufacturer, model, additional info, and notes to record the original purchase date if I bought it used) then try to add a photo it doesn’t work.

If I click the big red + button to add a watch. Then add a photo before adding the info it seems to be ok.

I’ve not tried adding a watch and saving it, then adding the photo later.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^ Just added a watch then returned to add the photo, same error.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
rkovars
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Stif wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:12 pm
curiousdabbler wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:55 pm Also, it'd be great to have a button for automatic, manual or quartz, along with the option to name the movement. I'd also really like the option to add the lift angle of the movement, to make it easier to regulate watches!
I like the idea of cell types for battery powered watches - that feels really useful, and that's the whole point of the app!
Definitely!
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Mabeco
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Mabeco »

curiousdabbler wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:26 pm Oooh, and a field to show the lug width please, so it's recorded to make strap buying easier without measuring again!
Just downloaded the app and currently on my baby steps.

The lug width is a great idea. I keep forgeting which one is which width.

Thank you for this app!
These users thanked the author Mabeco for the post:
Stif
Christopher Ward C1 Moonglow, Junghans, Seiko, Vostok, Swatch, Reporter, Certina...
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I’ve just found this topic. I don’t know how I missed this - I am a natural potential user as I’ve been using On My Wrist for 4 years. Now, as the new year commences, it seems like a good time to start with a new app in a kind of parallel run.

I’ve excitedly read the 10 pages of discussion, it’s really interesting to read the journey you @Stif have been on, with excellent feedback from several forum members. I’ve just downloaded the app and I’d like to import my collection from OMW to give me a head start. I tried creating a backup, wondering if I could create an empty template (I got an error, which may have been because I had nothing in my collection). I added a single watch, then tried again but I just got a white screen when selecting the backup location - I couldn’t then get back to the Home Screen, so had to abort.

First things first, is there a CSV or text file format which allows the collection to be imported using the Restore function? I can then start tracking wears from 1 January and get to know how the app works.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
Stif
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Unfortunately there isn't a way to import data from elsewhere yet - I'd need to build something custom and fairly complex, as this app uses a completely different database type to OnMyWrist (essentially they use a table based structure I think, more akin to a spreadsheet, whereas I use an object based non-relational database for improved performance) - I would like to build an export function at some point that converted everything to a simple CSV (others have asked for this to allow them to analyse the data themselves in Excel for example) so may look to allow some kind of backup like that in future (I do have an OnMyWrist extract saved in my notes actually to help reverse engineer it - I think it was shared by timor54?)
Importing from elsewhere also means writing some pretty heavy validation to protect against bad data (I suspect dates aren't in an ISO timestamp format for example, and not everyone will therefore be using a constant date format :( )

The current restore function looks for a file named watchbox.hive, and validates on that file format (I think... it's been a while!) so is only good for restoring backups created in WristCheck.
Manually adding previous dates also has to be done one by one currently - a potentially easier solution would be to allow some form of date list to be uploaded for a watch, but again difficult to work around date formats so may need some decent though.

So - uploading isn't something I feel I can fully commit to (certainly in the short - medium term) but will definitely try to put a CSV extract together, allowing you to consolidate your data externally if that helps!
- Grant

0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

^ Thanks Grant, points taken. This is way above my head, so I had no idea whether my asks would be easy / hard / impossible. I’ve taken the approach to input each watch ask wear it. Over time, I’ll get the, all in. I have input 4 so far (one each for the first 4 days of the calendar year). No photos yet - they’re on my phone, while the app is on my iPad- I’ll soon find out if I experience the same difficulties as Iain.

Looking forward to getting going, and will of course feed back any constructive comments if I observe anything which hasn’t already been mentioned.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
Stif
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot