WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by ajax87 »

Just download this earlier today. I’ve used the “on my wrist” app for the last 2 years, but already prefer this after 5 minutes of use. Nice work!
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 3):
StifBahnstormer_vRSrkovars
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: WristCheck - Stif's mobile watchbox app project - Now live on iOS and Android!

Post by Stif »

That's totally made my day!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSajax87
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

It's been over a week since I've bored you all with tales from the windowless basement so thought I'd post a wee update on how work on v1.3 is progressing and (probably more interestingly) what's in it...

First the bad news for those wanting rid of ads, is that I've not looked at the pro version yet - I wanted to first focus a bit on some improvements (it might sound silly, but I don't think it's good enough to ask people to pay for it yet!) I'd like to get that done this side of Christmas though, so it'll either be the Big Thing© in v1.4 or v1.5!)

Instead, the Big Thing© this release is a refactor (nerd speak for 'rewrite the terrible code'...) of how the app handles images. Some of this all happens in the background, but it includes:
  • Pulling all the code relating to how the app handles the selection and cropping of images out into it's own section of the codebase
  • Having the app create an images sub-folder in it's data location (you can't see this on Android, but it'll be clear if you navigate to the app folder on iOS - it's also a useful step in allowing backing these up in future...)
  • Adding in code to identify and delete images that aren't needed anymore (did I mention there was bad code before... :lol: ) - if you fully delete a watch it now also deletes any associated images!
  • Giving images a proper name when saved (incase you ever do go digging around in the file structure...)
  • This reword has simplified the big ask - adding a watch image when the watch record is created!
  • and along those lines, per numerous requests I'll be adding in the option to add case-back images too before release!
Additionally I've made a few other smaller changes:
  • Watch make and model fields now auto-capitalise the first letter of each word
  • The 'help' text has been updated for the date view, to help users understand how to add historic dates
  • If you've used the app a few times and meet some set criteria (from memory, opened the app at least 5 times, recorded wearing watches at least 5 times and used the app for at least 5 days) it might now prompt you to add a rating for the app on the app store - it shouldn't ask more than once every 40 days, but the stores themselves may override that and wait longer
I also want to add another couple of quick changes around notifications, although not sure I'll manage these in time.
First, if you've used the app a few times without setting a daily reminder I'd like to trigger a prompt to let users know this is available (I find it really useful, but conscious not everyone is going to root around in the settings menu and find it!)
Secondly, and I need to figure this one out, I'm going to try to set up an optional monthly notification, that when clicked takes you straight into the graphs showing last month (so on 1st November it'll prompt to look over your October wear chart).

Sorry folks, this has turned into a right essay!

I'm going to play around with this for another week and see how I get on, then get whatever is implemented by that point released - the majority of the above is now all done and ready to go!

and lastly, i know you're all wondering if I'm rich enough to retire yet - well in the interests of full disclosure (you're all on this journey with me after all!), I'd like to say I'm quietly confident...
Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 17.05.44.png
(Good job I'm doing this for fun :lol: )
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 3):
Richard DasqwerthLavaine
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Fascinating stuff, good luck with it.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
Stif
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

56 whole pence! "Making money with an app is easy!". Great work as always Grant. Do the ads pay based solely on impressions, or do they require the user to remain on the page containing the ad for a certain length of time before it registers as an impression (or heaven forbid do they only pay on click-throughs)?
I know you aren't in this for the money, but if my user habits can get that 56p to a full Pound I'm willing to make the effort. LOL.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post (total 2):
Stifrkovars
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Interesting question, and I'm not 100% sure of the answer!

Here's what my ad dashboard looks like today so far:
Screenshot 2022-10-20 at 09.44.03.png
Given the app is small and quick to navigate, the requests (when the app calls the API to ask for an ad) are usually greater than the impressions (when the ad is returned and displayed).

I'm averaging around 1p/day at the moment mainly from impressions - as an aside, I didn't originally put any ads on the 'add watch' screen, but given a user sits on that for a while as they enter details I'm going to change that - I think the amount per impression can vary quite a bit (which is probably down to the users themselves and their ad profile - i.e. if they're seeing ads that pay more due to their content)

I've only noticed one 'click' so far, which added a whopping 40p to the total, so clearly I earn more if a user clicks through (but not sure if its per click or if they need to go on and do something...my guess is it's per click though).

Having said that, please don't change your behaviour - as you mentioned, this is a bit of fun for me, I'm not in it for the money and would rather not risk the wrath of Google if they think the ad behaviour is 'unusual' :lol:
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

I had a bit of time yesterday so was able to get the secondary watch images set up surprisingly fast - I started by reviewing my code for the 'view watch' page asking 'why the hell did I code it this way?', and then realised that the answer was 'because it'll make updating it really easy!" :lol:

So case back images now work!

I was then going to do one last thing and work on adding a 'check your monthly stats' notification, but when I looked at the stats chart page the entry point to doing this wasn't as straightforward as I'd hoped... so initially I began working on a straightforward refactor of this page.

Anyway, long story short, I think I'm going to pause the notification work until the next release, but instead I've created a series of default options that can now be selected for the chart page! Previously whenever you opened this page it would show your stats from day 1, and you'd always have to update the filters if you wanted to show something different.

Now I've created a new settings page (and made the whole 'settings' section quicker and easier to find!) which let's you update the charts default view, choosing between: All Stats, This Year only, This Month only or Last Month - once selected, whenever you open the stats page it'll default to your chosen selection, but can then be filtered as normal :) Just a bit of testing to do (and tidying up the placeholder UI I built for the selection) and this bit...and I think this release... is done!
(I might also quickly add the option for whether bar or pie charts are the default too, so that user preference is remembered - that'll be a 10 minute job!)

I'll shout out in the next day or two once I've prepared and submitted the new builds to the app stores, so those of you on the beta test group should see the update pretty soon :)

(oh, one last thing - backup on iOS will still only support using the app location and I can't for the life of me figure out why it doesn't automatically set the permissions - I've not done anything this release to fix that, but I may try to rework that in the next release too. I'm wondering if instead of picking a location and saving the file, if instead I can re-use the 'share' library I use for sharing the stats screenshot, and just fire the file at the OS and let it then deal with it... at this point, not certain it'll work because of the weird .hive file type, but I reckon it's worth a try!)
- Grant

Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Those of you in the beta groups might have already seen it, but v1.3 is now available via TestFlight and Google Play - as always any feedback is welcome!
I'll push these out to production so that everyone can access them in a few days if no issues are noted (so far my favourite change is being able to default the graphs to show just this months data!)

Now to go away and have a think about what should be in v1.4...
- Grant

asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Stif wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:46 am Those of you in the beta groups might have already seen it, but v1.3 is now available via TestFlight and Google Play - as always any feedback is welcome!
I'll push these out to production so that everyone can access them in a few days if no issues are noted (so far my favourite change is being able to default the graphs to show just this months data!)

Now to go away and have a think about what should be in v1.4...
Installed the update - capitalisation of each word works now. Thank you.

Question/further comments: is there any way to sort the collection alphabetically (ie by watch brands)? Or have I missed some setting?

For larger collections, scrolling to find a watch within a disorganised list takes a while. Yes, there is a search tool, but that still takes quite a few clicks. An alphabetised list can be quickly scrolled to the correct first letter so that it's easy to locate the watch you want. Also, the list looks rather haphazard as it stands, with everything simply listed in order of date of entry.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Stif
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Hi asqwerth - at the moment the list is fixed (as you say, based on order added to the database), with just search or the favourites option to get to things quicker.

I do have it on the backlog though to improve filtering here - my plan is to implement something similar to how I now have the graphs set up, which will allow a default view to be selected and the filters to be updated and remain saved accordingly - I'm planning to add this (at least in a basic fashion, to then build upon) in v1.4 which is coming next!

Someone (NationOfLaws or lavaine I think?) also suggested creating selectable tags, so in the future I'll put together an update focused on this area - with selectable options to begin with ('mechanical', 'automatic', 'quartz', 'Swiss'... please all feel free to suggest others and I'll make a note - I'll make a post specific to this when I come around to working on this stuff :) )

I've had a bit of a break this last week or so (work has been manic as it often does in the run up to the end of the year) but off to the side I've been investigating options for removing ads - I think I've got an idea what to do (fair chunk of work involved...) so will focus on that for the next release, along with the filtering.

I reckon I've got plenty on the backlog to keep updates coming for at least the next 3-4 months at least, but keep shouting out if there are things you'd like to see - I love seeing the app slowly getting better (along with the quality of the underlying code ;) ) :lol:
- Grant

asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

Stif wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:48 am ....I do have it on the backlog though to improve filtering here - my plan is to implement something similar to how I now have the graphs set up, which will allow a default view to be selected and the filters to be updated and remain saved accordingly - I'm planning to add this (at least in a basic fashion, to then build upon) in v1.4 which is coming next!
Cool, I look forward to testing that!
Someone (NationOfLaws or lavaine I think?) also suggested creating selectable tags, so in the future I'll put together an update focused on this area - with selectable options to begin with ('mechanical', 'automatic', 'quartz', 'Swiss'... please all feel free to suggest others and I'll make a note - I'll make a post specific to this when I come around to working on this stuff :) )
Other tags for your consideration:
manual [since 'mechanical' encompasses 'automatic' as well], vintage, COSC, chronograph, small seconds, display back, precious metal....

I've had a bit of a break this last week or so (work has been manic as it often does in the run up to the end of the year) but off to the side I've been investigating options for removing ads - I think I've got an idea what to do (fair chunk of work involved...) so will focus on that for the next release, along with the filtering.

I reckon I've got plenty on the backlog to keep updates coming for at least the next 3-4 months at least, but keep shouting out if there are things you'd like to see - I love seeing the app slowly getting better (along with the quality of the underlying code ;) ) :lol:
I appreciate all your work on this. And just work at your own pace, the app as it is right now is already very useful and workable.
Stif
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW

rkovars
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:13 pm

Other tags for your consideration:
manual [since 'mechanical' encompasses 'automatic' as well], vintage, COSC, chronograph, small seconds, display back, precious metal....
Might be better to implement custom tags right out of the gate. Everyone is going to have different ideas on how they would want to label things.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

Fantastic work!

I just downloaded your app an hour ago, and started inputting my watches....

Very smooth interface, simple, uncluttered and attractive screens.

Let me be honest... Although I have a decent sized personal collection, keeping track of wrist time for each individual gage is not a high priority for me. I'm either wearing my daily driver or I pick something that will make me happy for the day/hours. So most of the features the app was devised for, I will probably not use.
But... The very basic feature of building up a well organized, easily accessible database for the business aspect of my horological insanity is very well received. Thanks to you, I can start keeping a detailed record on the gages that have left my shop, and those still available. For each sold item I can have a date ( in the date section) and any other information such as technical details, price, owner... (In the notes section), and photos woohoo! It will be like holding a portfolio in my pocket. And with perspective clients, I can quickly show them what I have on hand without scrolling through my entire photo gallery and then accidentally touching the wrong icon with my fat fingers and pulling up a photo of my youngest daughter sleeping with a cat on her face.
I have not dug too deep into the app, but I think it will be a tremendous tool for me. But it could be better, not just for me, but for everyone else as well, if watches in a collection could be organized on different parameters besides the order they were added. Order options sorted by date and title (alphabetically) would be a great improvement in my opinion.

Thank you for your hard work. Keep it up. Your fame as developer extrodinaire will grow every time I will open this app in front of somebody else.
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post:
Stif
Top of the minute to you all,
Dan
michaelro1
Senior
Senior

Post by michaelro1 »

This looks good :) - Good work!!
Been looking for something to do this and I know someone else has done another version but believe that was IOS only so having something on Android is cool

Couple of comments

On the chart it would good to decide what you want to display either Model or Brand + Model
Small Thumbnails on the main collection page?
Add historic wears? (I can remember what I've worn for the last few weeks rather than starting from scratch today)
These users thanked the author michaelro1 for the post:
Stif
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

michaelro1 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:42 am ...Add historic wears? (I can remember what I've worn for the last few weeks rather than starting from scratch today)
Go to the page for the watch in question. Click the calendar icon.

Click the padlock icon at the top to unlock the wear history list. Add whichever dates you want for said watch.
michaelro1