Wow! I think I might be done. I wasn't expecting that!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Wow! I think I might be done. I wasn't expecting that!

Post by Macdaz »

That's the thought that has literally just hit me as I opened the forum. I think I might be done.

Over the years I've acquired numerous watches and I think I now have a nice piece, that I really like, in all of the watch genres that interest me. (mostly CWs it has to be said). I suddenly realised, after I’d been pouring over the specs of a Garmin Fenix and a Suunto Vertical to support my other passion of walking up big hills, that there is nothing that I am lusting after, and there hasn't been for a long time.

Now, that statement is not entirely true, but the next step for the watches that I really want take me into Omega and Tudor territory and beyond. The truth is that when the sickness took me about ten years ago, those watches were expensive but it felt that they may one day be attainable. The ongoing trend for significant price rises for these brands have moved them further away even though my age and my means should, all things being equal, mean they are getting closer. Now I look at the price of the cheapest Speedy, which is still a watch I would love to own, and I just don't think that I will ever be in a position where I can justify that cost. I may be able to afford it, I'm just not sure I'm willing to afford it. That has led me to conclude that any further ambition is likely to remain unfulfilled and lusting after something I will never have is not a productive place to be.

Which takes me back to where I came in. I think I might be done.

I say none of this to announce my departure in a grand gesture. I still love watches and my collection and I don't see that changing and I'm not going anywhere. But I thought I would capture it, literally as the realisation washed over me (and still is as I type). Of course the other advantage is that I have now recorded this so you and I can beat me around the head with it when, in three months time, I’m raving about my new acquisition.

And of course come Christmas 2024 there will still be room for the arrival of the 2023 FLE :D :silent:
These users thanked the author Macdaz for the post (total 7):
jkbarnesJAFOGar787ViognierStifAmor Vincit OmniaMurphy20
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Wow! I think I might be done. I wasn't expecting that!

Post by JAFO »

Macdaz wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:41 pm
Now I look at the price of the cheapest Speedy,
I may be able to afford it, I'm just not sure I'm willing to afford it.
Very well put. I made the same decision when I bought mine, and it took me a long while to make the decision to spend that amount on a single watch, and I'm sure that will be a one off.

I will say after I bought it, I treat new acquisitions differently. I still love looking, and I have bought more, but I can now take or leave each individual watch.

I'm not thinking of leaving the CWF though.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Macdaz
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

This is a timely post. Have you been following @iain’s thread? It hits on a similar theme.
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Fantastic post and read !

Your share has resonated earlier thoughts and encouraging me to explore looking into making a downsize in my collection. Afford to keep it yes, willing to keep it….perhaps not.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Great bit of writing- I’m glad you wrote it down as the moment hit! I won’t hold it against you when the next incoming post arrives - it won’t invalidate anything you have said here :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Macdaz
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:21 pm This is a timely post. Have you been following @iain’s thread? It hits on a similar theme.
Not closely, I think I had skimmed the original post and it certainly was not on my mind when I wrote mine, but having re-read the post it clearly impacted my subconscious!

The feeling had been bubbling up for a while. I Was nearly always planning my next watch or planning how I was going to get it once I decided. That would have me looking at pictures and reading reviews every day from the decision to buy to new watch day, that's half the fun. But I haven't had that for ages! - That's what drove me to Suunto and Garmin!
These users thanked the author Macdaz for the post:
jkbarnes
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Great post, it made me chuckle.

I think your other passion of 'walking up big hills' may be impacting on your watch buying habits. It certainly provides a clarity of mind and thought, not to mentions a feeling of contentedness and what's really important in life, that may not be wholly compatible with repeat watch purchases. I think it's about time that you gave up this somewhat daft habit...

...of walking up big hills.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Macdaz
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@Macdaz Very enjoyable post, thanks. Every year throughout the summer and autumn I tell myself I’m done. I usually manage to hold out through the winter but inevitably spring comes and along with it some new trinket. So for now I’m done.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Macdaz
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:18 am @Macdaz Very enjoyable post, thanks. Every year throughout the summer and autumn I tell myself I’m done. I usually manage to hold out through the winter but inevitably spring comes and along with it some new trinket. So for now I’m done.
If you find yourself affected by an annual spring drive then I have some recommendations...
These users thanked the author sproughton for the post:
missF
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@sproughton I saw what you did there. For some reason it’s a route I never considered.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

strapline wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:12 am I think your other passion of 'walking up big hills' may be impacting on your watch buying habits. It certainly provides a clarity of mind and thought, not to mentions a feeling of contentedness and what's really important in life, that may not be wholly compatible with repeat watch purchases.
I think you might be on to something there. Next Easter, all going to plan, I will be walking to Basecamp of the biggest of hills. This is indeed diverting some of the funds that might have been available.

AND...it turns out that researching and buying expedition kit is almost as much fun as researching and buying watches!
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

I’m taking a different view, I think. While I’m sure that that destination, not wanting another watch, is a liberating place to arrive at, I’m not sure I want to go there. Isn’t there an element of being finished with the whole watch thing once you get there? Is it possible to still have an active interest in watches when all desire is gone? A slow burning desire, yes, but no desire at all?
Bjørn
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Wis wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:53 am I’m taking a different view, I think. While I’m sure that that destination, not wanting another watch, is a liberating place to arrive at, I’m not sure I want to go there. Isn’t there an element of being finished with the whole watch thing once you get there? Is it possible to still have an active interest in watches when all desire is gone? A slow burning desire, yes, but no desire at all?
Whoa, steady on there! Nobody said anything about no desire at all! :D As I said, I still love watches and my collection. So I'd never say never. If something amazing comes along, at the right price, all bets are off and I'll be back in the game. It's just that now, and for a while, there has been nothing that I have seen that I haven't already got covered with something I think is better. I can't see anything interesting I'm willing to afford and nothing new is threatening to upstage or dislodge items in my collection. Will that change....?
These users thanked the author Macdaz for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

^^^ I see. :lol: My mistake. That makes a lot of sense. Still, I prefer some ‘want’ going on to keep it interesting.
Bjørn
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Yeah, well I thought I was done after buying my Speedie last month and I was all set to consolidate and sell some watches.

Instead of which I managed to buy an Oris Propilot GMT today... Clearly I'm beyond redemption :?
Tim