Wow - how did I miss that one??

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Wow - how did I miss that one??

Post by missF »

I’m just finished on another thread saying that I don’t like pops of colour on watch dials. And on a previous thread saying that GMT hands mess with my head. And yet @tikkathree has recently posted a pic of his green ombré C63 GMT and suddenly I can’t believe I overlooked it, because it’s fantastic!

I pretty much ignored it for the above reasons. Oh and I don’t like green :lol: But today it’s like I’ve seen it for the first time in an epiphany of watchy delight!

8FDFAC64-8802-4628-94CF-DC9B652582F3.jpeg

So - have you ever been hit about the head by a watch that you had previously discounted? I would like to hear your stories :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
Stiftikkathree
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Re: Wow - how did I miss that one??

Post by Trs1982 »

The Twelve. It didn't tick a single box for me when it came out, but owner pictures of the white in the 40mm keep popping up and shouting "you know you want me". CW's pics don't do it justice in comparison. The 36mm looks great without the date window, so if I do eventually decide to have one, I'd like to try both for size and comparison.
These users thanked the author Trs1982 for the post:
tikkathree
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

There are watches that have grown on me (the Super Compressors, for example), but I don’t think that’s what you mean, correct?

Alternatively, there are quite a few CWs that have done nothing for me except when @MiniMpi posts a pic of one (his C65 SH21 LE, for example; I’ve never liked it much but man do his pics show it off wonderfully!). Again, not what you’re talking about.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
MiniMpi
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

^^^ More than a gradual ‘growing’ appreciation of a watch I’m talking about a feeling of being hit on the head suddenly by how much you actually like a watch you had previously discounted and never given further thought to.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:00 pm …I’m talking about a feeling of being hit on the head suddenly by how much you actually like a watch you had previously discounted and never given further thought to.
Yeah, that’s what I thought you meant. The closest I’ve come to that is the 36mm Twelve. I appreciated the 40mm, but it generated no interest from me. The 36mm however, is a different story. I’d wear that! I’m not sure if it’s the size with the subtle design tweaks or that lichen green color.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
missF
Drew
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but when the Tribus fire sales were happening I originally had zero interest in their TRI-02 model - everything about it looked wrong to me... but then I started to see lots of pictures emerging on their Facebook group and here and it got me to thinking I might like it... in fact, I might have been totally wrong about it...

The price was right and I figured I could always return it if I didn't like it, but when it arrived I completely fell in love with it (lack of lume aside...)
PXL_20230301_100035682.jpg
It ended up being one of my most worn watches last year!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 4):
missFjkbarnesthomcat00tikkathree
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

It depends if you’re talking only chapter one of your tale or whether I can include chapter two as well?

I didn’t like the Omega Seamaster. The hands look rubbish, the bracelet is a design I find odd looking and the scalloped bezel ruins it even more.

Then I saw a friends white dialled Seamaster in the flesh and I was amazed by it. So much so that I went and bought a blue one. End of chapter one.

Chapter two. After living with the watch for several months I came to realise that the hands look rubbish, the bracelet is a design I find odd looking and the scalloped bezel ruins it even more. I sold it not long after I saw the light…..
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 4):
jkbarnesmissFwatchaholictikkathree
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:39 pm I didn’t like the Omega Seamaster….

Then I saw a friends white dialled Seamaster in the flesh and I was amazed by it….

…I sold it not long after I saw the light…..
The watch gods giveth, and the watch gods taketh away.

This post makes perfect sense to me, as I bounce back and forth with the Seamaster over the very traits you describe.
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

iain wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:39 pm It depends if you’re talking only chapter one of your tale or whether I can include chapter two as well?
Great story :D
There’s a tale that I’ll probably fudge about the path to enlightenment. Before you seek enlightenment, trees look like trees and mountains look like mountains. While you are on the path to enlightenment trees no longer look like trees and mountains no longer look like mountains. Once you attain enlightenment trees look like trees and mountains look like mountains once again... :lol: :thumbup:
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

iain wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:39 pm It depends if you’re talking only chapter one of your tale or whether I can include chapter two as well?

I didn’t like the Omega Seamaster. The hands look rubbish, the bracelet is a design I find odd looking and the scalloped bezel ruins it even more.

Then I saw a friends white dialled Seamaster in the flesh and I was amazed by it. So much so that I went and bought a blue one. End of chapter one.

Chapter two. After living with the watch for several months I came to realise that the hands look rubbish, the bracelet is a design I find odd looking and the scalloped bezel ruins it even more. I sold it not long after I saw the light…..
Some times it’s the sun of the parts that need to be considered. The scalloped bezel is nice, just trying to be different from Rolex. The bracelet is ok, different and again deffinatly not oyster styled. The handset, yep rubbish, and something I have never really understood, aside from the fact that it’s different. In the end, it’s in the eye of the beholder, and is quirky enough to entice a lot of people. I just probably will never be one.
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
iain
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

6/7 years ago I started my search for a Sub, visited a few AD’s, without to much success, thought I could just go in and buy one :lol:
But on a couple of occasions I was offered one of these, buy now and walk out with a new watch, didn’t interest me, probably to fixed on getting a Sub
Fast forward to a couple of years ago, was in my local AD talking about watches, as you do and waiting lists :?
We could get you one of these!
Ok let me know when one is available :thumbup:

Over the past 18 months this is probably my most worn watch, apart from my Hamilton, work watch :D

Absolutely love it :D
These users thanked the author kiter65 for the post (total 4):
ThegreymanmissFQuboStif
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:50 pm
iain wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:39 pm I didn’t like the Omega Seamaster….

Then I saw a friends white dialled Seamaster in the flesh and I was amazed by it….

…I sold it not long after I saw the light…..
The watch gods giveth, and the watch gods taketh away.

This post makes perfect sense to me, as I bounce back and forth with the Seamaster over the very traits you describe.
The rubber strap is the way to go. Omega makes some of the best rubber straps on the planet. Bracelets though, not so much. The non-tapered Seamaster bracelet has never been good IMO. A good strap or bracelet can make or break a watch.

As I mentioned in another thread I have a virtual watch box where I put watches to marinate. I am never afraid to give something a second look. Sometimes long after the initial release.

The interesting thing about the Ombré dials is that they look very different from different angles and different lighting conditions. It really makes for a dynamic dial.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London