Would you send a watch out unpaid for?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Re: Would you send a watch out unpaid for?

Post by xtriple »

scooter wrote:Well if Tony (learningtofly) and 5 others think that he is a good guy, I would have no hesitation in dealing with him on his terms.

Do you want your watch sold or not, if avoiding Ebay?

scooter
Not dealing with him on his terms. If they sell great, but if not then ... great. Seems like a bloody cheek to me, how would you like it if I said I'll buy your watch but I don't know you so send it to me and I'll pay you later?

There could well be a "maybe" in there somewhere.

Thought it was a bloody cheek but wasn't sure I wasn't over-reacting (I have been known to) so I asked on here, where I trust the opinions given. The concensus was to give it a miss so I am.
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

xt

It's your watch so do what the consensus here say.
xtriple wrote:Seems like a bloody cheek to me, how would you like it if I said I'll buy your watch but I don't know you so send it to me and I'll pay you later?
That's simple. In my line of work I have to make decisions on people based on information I have. I believe I know you well enough now via this Forum to trust you with a watch of mine worth £135. Would I send you my Rolex worth £1600 on approval when I've not met you face to face and sussed you out properly. No way.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

scooter wrote:xt

It's your watch so do what the consensus here say.
xtriple wrote:Seems like a bloody cheek to me, how would you like it if I said I'll buy your watch but I don't know you so send it to me and I'll pay you later?
That's simple. In my line of work I have to make decisions on people based on information I have. I believe I know you well enough now via this Forum to trust you with a watch of mine worth £135. Would I send you my Rolex worth £1600 on approval when I've not met you face to face and sussed you out properly. No way.

scooter
Hey Scoot, can I just have your Rolex? I know it's not a lot of money (£125) but it's the cheek of it that gets me. I don't know him either but he's asking me to trust him with £125 when he won't trust me with the same amount. Do you see what I'm trying (badly) to say?

Anyway, discussion over. I made the decision several posts ago based on others viewpoint that I wasn't alone in my reticence.
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I think you made the right decision. You pay your money then you get the product.

If he wants a 7 day look see and you were agreeable...he could pay the money, you send the watch. He gets his look see and could send it back in the exact same condition for a refund if he didn't like it. That is the only alternative I would suggest.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

I really don,t see your worrie,s with Ebay, you can put a reserve price on it, you get paid before the item is sent, you send it via RMSD or registered/signed for, you can stipulate that you will post when funds have cleared your bank if you wish and you have the tracking id as proof. Paypal and ebay have security.

As to the TZ buyer, i do think its a bit of trust for both of you, but if he is highly recommended over there, just like you would be on here, then maybe a deposit would be the way to go. We do tend to give newbie,s quite a hard time on here when selling, I reckon that there is at least 6+ members on here that i would trust enough to send them a watch of that price without any money up front (if i was asked).

Any quartz watch is going to be a tough to sell to collectors of mainly mechanicals.

Ebay :thumbup:
Graham
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

It's an interesting one, this buying and selling lark don't you think?

On one hand, as a seller you are asking somebody to send you cash up front for something you are selling, with no guarantee that they will get what they've paid for.

As a buyer, why is it so different that you would receive the product and then send the seller the money?

Both systems work on trust after all?

In know it's traditionally how buying and selling works, economies are founded on it I suppose.

Is it something to do with a seller 'setting out their stall' offering something for sale, and then receiving an offer to buy it, then accepting the cash, and handing the item over? In other words, seller initiates, so expects payment beforehand for the item being sold?

So, in that case, if I put up a want to buy ad, as the initiator should I reasonably expect the goods before I pay? It's just that in want to buy situations you have to pay first also!

It seems that goods trump cash in all situations?!

Anyway, Just musing really!!

I've sent watches to known members on TZ before payment in the past, as I've had a couple sent to me before I've paid, and would probably do so again if I knew them.

The old adage 'buy the seller/buyer' applies more than ever I think.

As a new seller on any forum though, it helps to be flexible to get your reputation up and running.
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

On principle I'd say "no" but it is up to you.
I have bought from that member before and the transaction was fine.
However, I agree with the others. He can have a look and if he doesn't like it you'll refund but I wouldn't be happy sending out a watch without payment unless it was someone I knew.
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by androo »

No
amleto
Senior
Senior

Post by amleto »

This is 'standard' practice on an unrelated forum I frequent that has its own rep system specifically for sales.

If you want to sell something but have zero feedback, most buyers (likely with plenty of good feedback) will ask for the item to be sent before funds.

Most of the time they accept, or possibly compromise 50-50 before/after and seems to work well.
Halios Tropik SS, C60 GMT SKKO, Magrette Regattare 2011 sold, Casio Edifice, Seiko x2
Incoming: fle'13?
leoo
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by leoo »

As i'm still fairly new here. If i sold something and Kip asked to see it before he paid. i would send. if it was some newbie... i dont think so.