Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Would you go to the ends of the Earth?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

How far would you go, or have you been, to get a watch?

I don't mean buying online from another country on the other side of the World and getting it delivered by DHL / FedEx etc.; that's too easy.

I mean, actually going to get a watch from some far flung place.

I've done my Christmas shopping at Harrods for Chuck @Thunder1 about 35 miles each way and a similar mileage last Saturday when I met Wyatt @0uatiOW to collect a watch from him.

Tenuously, when I bought my Breguet Type XX Aeronavale from Dave @Winnie Bloo he flew to UK from Eastern Europe to deliver the watch to me; but that as I say is tenuous.

Still? How far would you go, or have you been, to get a watch?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Would you go to the ends of the Earth?

Post by 0uatiOW »

I drove a 300 mile 6 hour round trip in the rain to see a Zero West. I bought it a couple of days later and had it shipped, but the visit to the boutique was an integral and essential part of the buying experience.

I bought one watch from an AD in Manila, and had my friend who lives there send it over with a globetrotting go between. I then drove 200 miles round trip to collect it.

No wait, I did that twice…. Same AD, same friend, different go between, different pick up point.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRStikkathree
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Can’t compete with those.....Spalding to Cambridge a number of times and Spalding to Norwich, Leicester and Nottingham
Don’t go far :lol:
These users thanked the author kiter65 for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Dibley to Maidenhead and back, approximately 320 miles including a night at Fawlty Towers (believe it!) at the beginning of June to collect my Twelve Ti.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I have bought a few watches over the years from a shop about 150 miles from home. Although I didn’t have to make specific trips to pick up the watches. I picked them up when in the area either on holiday or staying with family.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Ive taken a trip from Bolton, down to CW hq in order to choose & pick up my Trident prototype. Thats about a 3.5hr trip each way. Made a day of it though with a couple of mates.

Furthest was a trip to Zero West. It was a double whammy, with picking up my prototype, and being talked in to putting a deposit down on the unique Cafè Racer. The ZW lads took us for some grub and a good few pints, and next thing id bought another watch........ hmmmmm.... thats marketing at its best I recon...!

It was an epic trip, partly due to the experience of visiting what I consider to be one of the coolest shops ive ever seen, dealing with 2 people who know both how to design watches and how to deal with customers, and partly due to the 4 trains there including delays and a cancellation, and getting stranded at Watford on the way home and us having to stay over in a hotel with no overnight gear!
What should have been a nice day out turned in to one of the funniest ordeals ive been involved in for ages. We even got a mention in one of the ZW videos!!! Didnt put me off though as we're planning another visit over winter!

I think for the right watch id pretty much go anywhere. The other 2 watches I regret selling, id happily drive or get trains to pick up if needed, should I get the chance to snaffle them back..... :-"
These users thanked the author Dickchins for the post (total 6):
DavidCMBahnstormer_vRS0uatiOWtikkathreestraplinenbg
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I’ve rarely even been as far as the local ADs to pick up a watch… :oops:

That said, I love the idea of a journey to pick up a watch. Train journey time on the way to enjoy the scenery; train journey time on the way home to keep checking the time… A dodgy meeting at King’s Cross away from the CCTV for a quick exchange of a watch and some folded cash… :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 5):
Bahnstormer_vRStikkathreestraplineCallerthomcat00
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:54 pm How far would you go, or have you been, to get a watch?

I don't mean buying online from another country on the other side of the World and getting it delivered by DHL / FedEx etc.; that's too easy.

I mean, actually going to get a watch from some far flung place.

I've done my Christmas shopping at Harrods for Chuck @Thunder1 about 35 miles each way and a similar mileage last Saturday when I met Wyatt @0uatiOW to collect a watch from him.

Tenuously, when I bought my Breguet Type XX Aeronavale from Dave @Winnie Bloo he flew to UK from Eastern Europe to deliver the watch to me; but that as I say is tenuous.

Still? How far would you go, or have you been, to get a watch?

Guy
And boy, do I ever appreciate it!!...thanx ever so much again Guy!!.. 8)
These users thanked the author Thunder1 for the post (total 2):
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
DavidCM
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidCM »

My record, so far, has been 106 miles to Watches of Switzerland in Cardiff for my Panerai.
CW is a relative trip to the shops at 25 miles.
These users thanked the author DavidCM for the post (total 2):
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Hmm, thinking about it I'm not sure that I've collected a watch from further than the local AD or Royal Mail sorting office.

But you guys have sown the seeds for a delicious diversion; on the one hand my Christmas and New Year plans are causing me to lose sleep over the delivery of my FLE 2023 and on the other hand I shall be returning home to Suffolk from just sixty-odd miles west of CW Towers. How opportune! Yes!!!! :clap: :clap:

And miisF,
missF wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:57 pm I’ve rarely even been as far as the local ADs to pick up a watch… :oops:

That said, I love the idea of a journey to pick up a watch. Train journey time on the way to enjoy the scenery; train journey time on the way home to keep checking the time… A dodgy meeting at King’s Cross away from the CCTV for a quick exchange of a watch and some folded cash… :lol:
That's almost the plot for a movie, a brief encounter you might say :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Would I go to the ends of the earth for a watch? I once went to Bradford for one which is almost the same thing.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 4):
Chris375straplineDickchinsDavidCM
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:46 am That's almost the plot for a movie, a brief encounter you might say :lol: :lol:
Hmmm, film noir lighting, Rachmaninov, steam trains…

“Eow dahling, Ay’ve been seow anheppay!”

You must be buying a Cartier Tank. Looking forward to the b/w photos!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Doesn’t everyone have a black and white movie script running in their head when they decide what watch to wear?? :problem:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

iain wrote:Would I go to the ends of the earth for a watch? I once went to Bradford for one which is almost the same thing.
That's an intriguing thought, Iain, and not one that I thought of when I made my initial post. :oops: :oops:

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I've never travelled to collect/buy a watch, but I love the idea of buying from a manufacturer direct where they make the watches. I've never been to Germany and a trip to either Sinn and/or Hanhart really appeals. Now I own a Hanhart it'd be great to see where the magic happens. I'd also like to travel to Japan in the next few years if the stars align. @missF, sitting on a bullet train while turning over my new GS in my hands as we pass under Mt Fuji, now that's the stuff of fantasy. :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?