Words of wisdom from the spouse of a collector…

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Words of wisdom from the spouse of a collector…

Post by nbg »

Mrs nbg has a few watches (that I have bought her over the years) and also occasionally borrows a couple of mine. She is not a collector and in reality has a very limited interest in watches.

I suggested buying her a watch for a significant anniversary last year. She wasn’t interested, even though I bought one for myself.

She has a small wrist and normally wears a small Tudor. The largest she has worn is an old DJ36.

I mentioned it might be time for the Tudor to be serviced and would she like to borrow one of my CWs.

I showed her a selection of Sealander 36, on Bader and Consort bracelets. Acer red, Jura green and Lucerne blue.

Mrs nbg picks each one up to try on…

“Red - it’s a bit bright and the clasp on the bracelet is very big and chunky.

Blue - the colour is a bit better, but I don’t like the bracelet.

Green - that looks the best and I like the bracelet, it looks as if it will fit me better than the others.

I will think about it. I could just wear the Tissot”.

I put the Sealanders away and hand her the Alta white Twelve 36…

“That looks much better than the others and it fits better. But I can tell that it is more expensive and you wouldn’t want me getting it bashed up wearing it everyday. I like the colour and there is no date to mess around with”.

They do other versions of the watch (I load up the CW site showing the Twelve 36 models)…

“So do they just produce a watch in as many different colours as they can think of? Is that why you have three different colours of the other one?”

I still don’t think we have quite decided which watch will be worn each day. However the lady has…

- Correctly identified that the Twelve looks and feels to be a better watch than the Sealander.

- the Bader bracelet has a ridiculously sized clasp for a 36.

- the Consort is far more suitable for those with very small wrists.

- Brands often pop out numerous versions of the same watch with a different colour dial, some of which have limited appeal.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 7):
tikkathreeGTC854thomcat00Tr3v0r86Kansas City MilkmanWileyECoyoteajax87
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Words of wisdom from the spouse of a collector…

Post by iain »

Mrs Iain has been known utter the following pearls of wisdom.

“What do you mean it stops if you don’t wear it?”

“What do you mean it runs slow?”

“What? You have to pay for a service? On a watch????”

“Have you seen how much the house insurance costs once you add in your watches?”

And of course the one statement that could be applied to almost anything to do with watches.

“HOW MUCH!!??!!!??”
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
Tr3v0r86jkbarnesscampbell61
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

“HOW MUCH!!??!!!??”
I think that applies to anything where the other half of the conversation just doesn't "get it". Along with "do you really need another ... "
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
DavidCM
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidCM »

Familiar echoes.
Htownsend

Post by Htownsend »

My wife used to have a moan about the amount of watches I had but then stopped. Although when I suggested she should try my green C5 on, her attitude changed, to such a point that the C5 is hers and not mine now! Too be honest it does look better on her but I won't tell her that 🤭
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I almost replied in the CWOTD thread:
How does it feel to be wearing Mrs. nbg's castoffs!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesnbg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
scampbell61
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by scampbell61 »

iain wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:47 pm And of course the one statement that could be applied to almost anything to do with watches.

“HOW MUCH!!??!!!??”
That is when you start with the argument of the investment of a fine timepiece that will increase in value as it ages. Then you tell her it will be worth a lot more when you are gone. Then she looks at you with those steely eyes and says, "That may be sooner than later".
These users thanked the author scampbell61 for the post:
Tr3v0r86
Stewart
“Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.” ― Eric Hoffer

C65 -Dune, C63-Sealander GMT, C60 Atoll 300 “Shark White”, Twelve, and C65 Chronograph
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

. . . "You only need one watch." :oops: :oops:

Not my spouse but girlfriend/partner. :D :D

We often discuss my watches, buying and selling, but in early December after I made a 360 miles round trip to meet the seller of my Brellum, she said something along the lines of 'my watch hobby had become an obsession'. This rather hit home and has made me take stock; but that's probably better discussed another time.

As for my girlfriend/partner's outlook on watches, she has a few, some of which I've bought, but I'm under clear instructions on pain of excommunication that I'm not to buy her any more.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

My wife thinks all my watches look the same.

She has a few cheap quartz watches, which look very nice tj be honest. She has a Tissot automatic which is now on a lovely purple Tag Heuer strap, and a red Certina automatic.

My favourite watch of hers is an eterna with a diamond filled bezel. She hardly ever wears it, I think because it's on a bracelet, and she really does prefer leather.

She's happy at 3 automatic watches.