Withdrawal Symptoms

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Withdrawal Symptoms

Post by TheBeatles »

Anybody else get watch buying Withdrawal Symptoms?

Just checked my watch list and last purchase was March 2023!!

I’m feeling the need to re enter the market but can’t decide.

Guy knocked me back on one of his and I’ve had an email about 2 new William Wood editions which look quite tasty. But not enough to jump on.

Nothing has appeared in Sales Corner either.

The itch need scratching.

I was wondering if I’m alone in this.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSStifGar787
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Withdrawal Symptoms

Post by iain »

Not yet, my buying started slow and ramped up. However now I’ve made a conscious decision to not buy any more I’ll have to see how I go. Not having funds to buy anything I want will be a calming factor but I’ll see how I feel in 6-12 months and whether the urges have passed.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

there was a time i might have. i occasionally think about it, but the list of what i want (that's not outrageously expensive) is very short at this point and i'm not sure there's anything on the "i really wanna try that badly" list. just a handful of "i'm curious" and a handful of "if i came into some money" watches.
the "g" is for Greg...
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

After reading the "HOW MUCH !" thread re. the cost of service (and repair?) of a CW Chrono I don't have any ambition to buy anything else as it'll just ramp up future costs.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I already have too many watches, and although I don't feel the need to dispose of any, I am very careful now about buying even more.

It makes it difficult as there are so many more watches I would love to own, including any number of CWs. It's just hard to justify buying watches for less than 20 wears a year.
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

I've started slimming down the collection and have three on eBay at the moment although I'm not hopeful of recouping costs as prices have gone 'soft' over the last few weeks. OK, lets face facts, they've fallen off a cliff! When those three have sold I may buy just one more . . . just one more . . . just one more etc etc and thats how it goes.
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
MistaFroggyG
Guru
Guru

Post by MistaFroggyG »

JAFO wrote:I already have too many watches, and although I don't feel the need to dispose of any, I am very careful now about buying even more.

It makes it difficult as there are so many more watches I would love to own, including any number of CWs. It's just hard to justify buying watches for less than 20 wears a year.
Looking at watches by wears per year is a neat idea.

The current watches I need to offload are sitting at 8-9 wears per year. That really reinforces to idea to me that they’re good to go even though I like them a lot.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I normally get the urge to buy a watch in spring for some reason, then I’m okay for a year. this year it was the Twelve Ti, and along with the C63 GMT it has taken up the whole summer. I have watches that I know I haven’t worn for months, but I’m not concerned because they will get a turn. I have a new strap coming for the Cartier, so I suspect that will be playing centre forward for a while.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@TheBeatles

I suspect you've not been eating your Weetabix / Shredded Wheat there, Brian.

I've eased off this year, but am still running at two or three purchases per month with (mostly) corresponding sales to fund them.

I know you missed out on one of mine, but perhaps we ought to chat, as most of my watches are up for grabs if someone would like one. :wink: :wink:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:38 pm @TheBeatles

I suspect you've not been eating your Weetabix / Shredded Wheat there, Brian.

I've eased off this year, but am still running at two or three purchases per month with (mostly) corresponding sales to fund them.

I know you missed out on one of mine, but perhaps we ought to chat, as most of my watches are up for grabs if someone would like one. :wink: :wink:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
Two or three per month, Guy

I feel a lot better now thanks.

I’ve looked at mine to see if (like you) a sale could fund a new purchase. But it’s a difficult choice. I could sell any of my 6 CWs with ease as I think mine (biased opinion obviously) are the best examples of their particular model. Have to go down the eBay route though as I have no selling credentials on here. (not to mention a lack of photo posts)

Of my others, some have too much sentimental value attached.

Only saving grace to not having to sell, I have 2 spare slots in box!!
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I don’t have a set budget but I fall within general estimates for spending and then I look at my numbers on hand. As I rarely sell a watch my accumulation of watches keeps increasing somewhat unexpectedly. I understand intellectually the notion of withdrawal. As I don’t churn through watches I expect to own most for years if not decades. It gets harder to see the need to acquire more, and that assuages the want - at least a little. I have two known incoming sometime later this year and nothing else on the horizon. I suppose that may change. Until it does, I can simply enjoy what I’ve already amassed.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

My current situation in this: I don't know where I am with watches. For reasons I don't want to go into here I don't go out socially at the same frequency that I did so the now I'm almost exclusively wearing the watch for me, not for the friends sitting around me.

I've probably got too many CW watches. I'm forever one eye open for legacy models to scoop up and, if necessary, rescue through CW's service department. I'm also looking forward to the next big release: I might like it or I might not so I'm not looking forward like a child looks forward to a birthday or Christmas. I say this having not been taken by the Aquitaine, Bel Canto or most of the Sealanders: I think I'm anticipating SH21 V2 (SH42?) and hoping that it might appeal.

Then there's "the others", mostly Omegas but a few others including one Brellum a one of eight watch.

I don't have a grail watch which I covet or dream idly about.

In a tiny way (psychologically at least) I'm starting to consider reducing the future workload for someone else; too much stuff. That's the key, too much stuff. I'm starting to count cameras which might give pleasure to others and that seems easy but the watches? Well that's harder for me. They sit on your skin all day long; there's a bigger bond.

To answer the question then, no I don't think I get withdrawal symptoms from a slow stream of watch buying but if I continue in this mood for anothr week the next step will be to line up some potential departees and get their boxes out of the strong room. :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

NigelS wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:20 am I've started slimming down the collection and have three on eBay at the moment although I'm not hopeful of recouping costs as prices have gone 'soft' over the last few weeks. OK, lets face facts, they've fallen off a cliff! When those three have sold I may buy just one more . . . just one more . . . just one more etc etc and thats how it goes.
I've finished slimming the collection and ended up selling five watches, one vintage Oris on here and a couple of other vintage Oris, a Hamilton and Seiko Alpinist on eBay. I thought I'd report back on the final tally for what its worth if anyone else is thinking of going through the same process. Although I wasn't very hopeful when I decided to sell but I eventually cleared my purchase price inc P&P and the sales costs for the five watches and ended up with a margin of just over +10%. One watch in particular did especially well, an Oris 7461 for which I paid £190 a couple of years ago and I cleared £340. At the other end, I did loose quite badly on another vintage Oris so I've concluded its a 'Parson's egg' situation on prices from my recent experience and depends very much on what one is selling, the description and images and most of all luck and if two people really, really want it!
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

I’m going into a full on buying mode. Since my last post on this thread bemoaning my difficult choice for sales, I’ve been brutal and sold 3, with 1 more currently listed. Still held onto my 6 CWs, even tho they’d be easier to sell than the ones I culled.

So I now have numerous spare slots and can go a watch hunt for real.

scampbell61
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by scampbell61 »

It is hard slowing down purchasing watches today. It seems like we are in one of the golden periods of watch collecting. There are so many watch companies in 2023 with new brands being added every day. New watches from Seiko, Hamilton, Christopher Ward, and on and on are being released every week. Micro brands are popping up like weeds and if you haven’t noticed Chinese companies has taken giant leaps in the past few years. These are beautiful watches at good prices.

Maybe I am a glutton, but I want to experience as many different watches as my budget will allow. All this being said, I have negotiated with myself not to purchase another watch until I have worn each of my last 6 purchases for 30 days. Hopefully this 6-month period will give me a chance to recalibrate and deal with the “Withdrawal Symptoms”. (I have already heard the voice, “Do sale watches count? What about used watches?”) Wish me well, the Twelve will have to wait till next spring.
Stewart
“Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.” ― Eric Hoffer

C65 -Dune, C63-Sealander GMT, C60 Atoll 300 “Shark White”, Twelve, and C65 Chronograph