Why do you wear your watch?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Why do you wear your watch?

Post by missF »

I just came across this question on Reddit and wanted to ask it here too. I’ll post my thoughts once I’ve had a think.

Why do you wear your watch? .

:-k :-k :-k
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Re: Why do you wear your watch?

Post by Trs1982 »

Trick question? :D

Saying that, I imagine some people will wear a watch as a display of wealth rather than as a tool to tell the time. Sports people are paid to wear specific brands so that's another reason other than the obvious.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Trs1982 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:35 am Trick question? :D
No - genuine question!
I overthink things a lot but if I stop to think about why I wear my watch I start with the obvious - to tell the time. But maybe imagine how weird you feel if you go off to work without your watch. You can still easily know what the time is, but your watch might have importance for you in other ways too. :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Trs1982
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I've thought about this too, and to answer the question I need to turn the question on its head, to read something like why don't you wear a watch?

The quick answer to that question is I don't need to know the time to any great extent and, if I do, a quick glance at my phone will suffice. Others may also say that they don't like a bulky piece of metal on their wrists, although they're prepared to tolerate an Apple Watch because of all its capabilities.

Well...time is important to me, always has been. I like to be on time, and I like to meet time deadlines: work obligations or social events. I don't like poor timekeeping, it's tardiness with a capital T. In order to fulfil this objective I wear a watch, phones weren't always about.

Now to aesthetics. A nice watch is part of my persona. It reflects on me and my character; it speaks a little of who I am, I hope. Before I became severely afflicted with inflammatory arthritis I was a very physical person, from child to a man in his early fifties. All manner of sports, all manner of adventures. There was a lot of rough and tumble, grazed knees and, sometimes, bruised pride. I wanted to be durable, and I think I look for those qualities in watches.

Watches are like a fine cologne. They should speak a little of their owner, perhaps offering a suggestion of what that person might be about. Lastly, they are part of my attire. Leaving my house without one of my watches in place would be like going out with no trousers on, it just wouldn't be right.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 7):
StifjkbarnesmissFDavidCMThegreymantikkathreeMurphy20
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

Because I always have? :lol:

Being realistic, it probably isn't to tell the time (or rather that's not the main reason!) - my phone is more accurate for that these days.

I think it's partly to express myself - it's one of the few pieces of 'jewellery' that I wear - but also it's to make me smile.
That's the measure of a great watch for me, if I can look down at my wrist and think 'yep, that's awesome'... Which at times is to the detriment of telling the time as I look back and realise that I forgot to actually check it :lol:
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 5):
jkbarnesmissFstraplinetikkathreeMurphy20
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

@strapline I think you sum it up perfectly!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
jkbarnes
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I don’t think I could answer this question better than Des already has. He nails it for me.

I’ll only add this: I went for a time without a watch because of the phone in my pocket. That changed when I sought out my first mechanical watch. I felt a need to ground myself in something slightly out of sync with this modern, tech driven world. It appealed to the history teacher in me.
strapline wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:53 am Well...time is important to me, always has been. I like to be on time, and I like to meet time deadlines: work obligations or social events. I don't like poor timekeeping, it's tardiness with a capital T. In order to fulfil this objective I wear a watch, phones weren't always about.

Now to aesthetics. A nice watch is part of my persona. It reflects on me and my character; it speaks a little of who I am, I hope….

Watches are like a fine cologne. They should speak a little of their owner, perhaps offering a suggestion of what that person might be about. Lastly, they are part of my attire. Leaving my house without one of my watches in place would be like going out with no trousers on, it just wouldn't be right.

Des
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 4):
missFStifMurphy20strapline
Drew
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Stif wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:11 pm @strapline I think you sum it up perfectly!
Agreed, not much more to add, really. Apart from gauging how well my sun tan is going.

Just to add my own question, does anyone wear a broken/dead battery watch, just because they like the look of it ?

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Nothing deep from me.

I always have but understand people who query me for not just using my phone.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post:
missF
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I can’t really add much to what else has been said. :) I’ve been interested in watches since getting my first when I was eight years old and I’ve always worn one since. And I’ve always had choice between at least two since I was ten. I use it to know then time. I notice when I’m not wearing one. Their mechanics fascinate me.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Stif
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Stif wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:09 pm That's the measure of a great watch for me, if I can look down at my wrist and think 'yep, that's awesome'... Which at times is to the detriment of telling the time as I look back and realise that I forgot to actually check it :lol:
Brilliant! You've just described the act that affects all the 'watch afflicted' on this site and ever other watch forum in existence. It's brave and bold to admit it though. :lol: :lol:

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesStifDickchins
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I’ll admit now that watches have become talismanic for me, and I think that’s why I wear them. I too am guilty of looking at my wrist, admiring the watch, then forgetting to check the time :lol:

Watches represent me, but not in a way I think anyone would recognise on the surface. I’m not defined as a person by how I look, and neither am I defined by the watch I’m wearing. I’m always out dressed and outclassed by the watch I’m wearing :lol: But that watch will represent some aspect of who I am and how I got here. I’ve said it before, but watches are part of my zen.

Watches are only alive (they do contain a soul) when they are on my wrist, warm, ticking. Whether a watch becomes talismanic or not is beyond my understanding. I didn’t at all expect the mk xvi to become instantly talismanic, but it did, and I fully expected the Dune to become talismanic but it didn’t. Some the spirits move into and some they don’t...
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
Stifstrapline
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m currently reading a book called About Time by David Rooney. It’s a bit of a history of civilization through a discussion of twelve different clocks (of all sorts) over the centuries. If I’m being honest, I’m not enjoying it that much and am only sticking with it because it was a gift from my wife. Back to my point though - his fundamental position, rehashed in numerous ways, is that the abIlity to measure time (and with increasing accuracy) represents an imposition of order on a chaotic world.* In short, he argues that measuring and tracking time is a representation of civilization itself. That’s a pretty fascinating supposition!

So in answer to Lindsey’s question, to have a watch on one’s wrists is to have a representation of civilization itself on one’s wrist!

*whether or not this is a good thing is a debate for another thread
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Stif
Drew
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

I too wear my watches because of the feeling they give me when I look at them. The added difference for me is im not allowed a phone switched on whilst im at work and being on the railway I need to be on time. (My ar5e I hear a few say!!!)

So for me its both form and function equally.
Saying that, I couldnt and wouldnt wear a watch I didnt like. Id have to go buy one. If not, id take my pocket watch with me before id wear something I didnt like!!!
These users thanked the author Dickchins for the post:
Stif
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Dickchins wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:02 pm I couldnt and wouldnt wear a watch I didnt like.
It’s a good idea for an experiment- we could wear a watch we don’t like for a week and discover how existentially crap it makes us feel :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Stif