Why do you wear your watch?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Why do you wear your watch?

Post by sproughton »

I enjoy what they look like and I'm happy to lose a few fleeting seconds multiple times a day just staring at whichever one I'm wearing.
These users thanked the author sproughton for the post:
Murphy20
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I wear a watch to tell the time and, as others have said, because it’s part of who I am, and what I do.

But if this is really about why I have a lot of watches, or why I choose on any given day to wear this one as opposed to that one, well that’s a whole other question and one I’ve written quite enough about over the last 12 years. You really don’t want to hear it all again.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
tikkathree
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:11 pm
Dickchins wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:02 pm I couldnt and wouldnt wear a watch I didnt like.
It’s a good idea for an experiment- we could wear a watch we don’t like for a week and discover how existentially crap it makes us feel :lol:
"Fun" idea for an experiment - a little off topic, but when my older brother got married my Mum made a big song and dance about me trimming my beard back in a way I didn't like, as a compromise to my utter refusal to go clean shaven (for reference, I've had a beard of some form virtually my whole adult life).

It was only really for a day, but I was incredibly conscious that I wasn't myself and it did somewhat spoil (for me) a very special day.

I imagine wearing a watch that I just didn't like might be similar!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 2):
missFtikkathree
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:11 pm It’s a good idea for an experiment- we could wear a watch we don’t like for a week and discover how existentially crap it makes us feel :lol:
Bad idea. Like booking a holiday to Sh*galuf to see how bad it is. Or eating in McDonalds for a week to see how much weight you put on. Besides, I would have to buy a watch I don’t like which would be a bit stupid! :wink:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
missF
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:11 pm
Dickchins wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:02 pm I couldnt and wouldnt wear a watch I didnt like.
It’s a good idea for an experiment- we could wear a watch we don’t like for a week and discover how existentially crap it makes us feel :lol:
First one to cave and take the crap off their wrist has to watch a whole series of love island :explode:

Not sure im quite there Lindsey but an interesting challenge I recon!!!!!!!
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Dickchins wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:33 pm First one to cave and take the crap off their wrist has to watch a whole series of love island :explode:
And how could anyone refuse that challenge??? :lol:
I reckon for me that far worse than wearing a watch I don’t like would be not wearing a watch at all...
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:09 pm
Dickchins wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:33 pm First one to cave and take the crap off their wrist has to watch a whole series of love island :explode:
And how could anyone refuse that challenge??? :lol:
I reckon for me that far worse than wearing a watch I don’t like would be not wearing a watch at all...
I think that's rather unfair on those of us who don't have a Sam Hill idea what Love Island might be. :oops:

I wear a watch as a form of adornment? Well maybe but then earrings are an adornment.

I wear a watch to tell the time? I don't wear a pocket watch very often at all and yet I enjoy looking at and handling my pocket watches.

On the basis that on any given day there are more watches on the shelf than on the wrist could it be that I enjoy having this miniature engineering miracle close to hand to gaze at and admire?

When I worked I took great pleasure in not wearing a watch during the weekend. Now I don't work and I wear at least one watch in a day, often selecting tomorrow's watch today and switching over during the evening.

I wear a watch because I like it.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Stif
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I've always worn a watch, and feel undressed without it. For a period, I wore quartz, but in the last few years I re-discovered the pleasure of mechanical watches, and now I wear them predominantly. Just male jewellery though, really. :D
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

(1) aesthetics, for a man it's generally one of the two piece of jewelry many of us will wear, this and a wedding band.

(2) because when you look at your phone in a meeting, you're an ####### who's not paying attention. when you look at your watch, you're telling people, "hey, this meeting or your part of it is going on too long." it's a very different message.
These users thanked the author gwells for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
the "g" is for Greg...
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Strange as it may seem but for the majority I wear it in order to tell the time. During a work day I'm checking it at least every 5-10 minutes to maintain a timely schedule.

I could do that with any watch but I like to see a nice watch hence the particular brand and model of watch that I wear on most days. If I didn't have this watch I'd probably use a fitness/smart watch.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Why do I wear a watch? To tell the time and this goes back to being a kid who was allowed to play out and roam about with their mates.

“Come home when the street lights come on” was only really suitable for parts of the year when the switch on coincided with bed time and didn’t work at all for tea time most of the year.

So why I wear a watch is mainly out of habit as it’s how I’ve always told the time since I was first given a cheap digital watch bought off the local market.

Why do I wear the watches I do? This comes down to choice and my watches being nice jewellery that I like wearing. However in the same way I don’t wear more gold than Mr T, I don’t wear flashy watches as it’s not really my style.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Stif
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Lots of the reasons already called out in this thread. Adornment, aesthetic, personal image, appreciation of the craft etc.

Also and quite importantly its a thing (one of very few) I do totally and absolutely for me. it's my thing, my indulgence, my money, my aesthetic, my interest and my time!
Irrespective of whatever is going on in life, when I look at my wrist or in the watch case it reminds me of me.

OK that's a bit deeper than I expected to write, I'll settle for I think they look good 🙂
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post (total 4):
jkbarnesmissFStifDickchins
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

I've worn a watch since I was a child, so I wear watches out of habit. When I started working in the corporate world, I felt watches (and cufflinks) were the only jewelry acceptable for a man. Once I became a family man, I abandoned costly watches because the expense was not warranted. As I aged and encountered some physiological challenges, I re-entered the watch world because it was a more suitable hobby than some of my prior activities. By focusing on affordable watches, I can experience more joy and less financial pain than pursuing luxury watches.

Oh, I also wear a watch to tell time :shock:
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Is the watch wearing club, mechanical watches especially, increasingly becoming a pastime for people of a certain age?. A bit like playing bowls, maybe. :D
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I have worn a watch from about 11 years old.

I wear it to tell the time. Being punctual is important to me. I don’t like being late. I like to know the time at any given time. Far easier to look at a watch, than pull a phone out of my pocket.

My watch ownership exceeds 50 years. My ownership of a mobile phone about 30 years.

Why do I wear the watches that I do? Well I like nice well made things. Other than a wedding ring it is the only item of jewellery that I wear. As I wear a watch it might as well be a nice one. I realise that doesn’t explain why I have many watches.

I wear a watch for my benefit. No one else. I don’t wear one to “flex” (what a stupid expression! :lol:) as a means of indicating whether or not I have “made it”. I like to glance at the dial and marvel at the complex mechanics under the bonnet. Other than when amongst fellow watch nuts (either virtually on a forum, or physically in real life) I feel uncomfortable if anyone comments on a watch that I am wearing. Fortunately this rarely happens.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Stif
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK