Where wouldn’t you wear your luxury watch?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Where wouldn’t you wear your luxury watch?

Post by missF »

I found this photo on another forum but the original source wasn’t referenced, except to say that, yes, the damage was done in a motorcycle accident…
IMG_3704.jpeg

No judgement from me at all about wearing an amazing watch on a motorbike. I hope the wearer had good leathers and wasn’t damaged.

But all I could think of was - this person must have been thinking about their watch all the way down and along and until they came to a complete stop and could check on the damage :hot2:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Where wouldn’t you wear your luxury watch?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Wow, lesson learned. I hereby pledge not to wear a Rolex while riding a motorcycle.

In reality, pretty much anything goes, except for the obvious constraints imposed by the lack of WR on certain watches.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I’ve mentioned before about other people’s perceptions at work where I won’t wear my Rolex. When in London a couple of years ago I happily wore my Bremont but I am careful what I wear when out in big cities or abroad. Having said that I did take my IWC to the far east last year but dressed down on a strap.

My take from your post is not that I shouldn’t wear a Rolex, but that I shouldn’t ride a motorbike.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
0uatiOW
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

With no desire to own or wear a Rolex (it's irrational I know) the brand is guaranteed to be safe from me in all settings; the bath, the chainsaw shed, the car wash, everything.
Other brands though? I'd need to think about that.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

The watch perhaps saved the wearer from some injuries.

That said, as a former motorcyclist, I always wore gauntlet style gloves that covered my wrist and would have protected a watch.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Southfrance
Junior
Junior

Post by Southfrance »

Watches and bikes, just discussed this on another forum, Ive been riding motorbikes for years and never wear a watch , they tend to get caught up on your gloves and jacket cuff/sleeve. This is if you are wearing proper protection , you can of course wear looser clothes or even just a t shirt, each to their own. Then there is always the possibility of knocking it on part of the bike, damaging the watch or maybe scratching paint etc.. when you ‘ go down ‘ on a bike, especially at lower speeds , it is often your hands,wrist,elbow that touch down first, a big watch is very likely to get damaged,
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

In a manner and in locations where criminals may try to relive me of the watch. E.g. wearing a visible luxury watch from certain brands when lunching or dining in expensive London restaurants, or in bars near such restaurants.

Other than that it would be watch and activity specific. E.g. I wouldn’t wear a Reverso when gardening, cooking, mountain walking or swimming. However any Rolex is absolutely fine for any of those activities.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I have to be able to wear my watches in all situations. The only place I am uncomfortable wearing a watch is in bed, can’t do it.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

I wear any of my watches for any occasion. Ive regularly worn expensive watches to work and knocked them a little whilst climbing on and off trains, and worn a relatively cheap watch out to a nice venue. I wear whatever I feel like at the time.

I agree though that as a biker, id never wear a watch whilst riding. For no other reason than mentioned above. Bike gear is, or should always be properly fitted. A watch would definitely interfere with my jacket and gloves. I wouldnt even get a watch on with my leathers!!!
Add that to the fact whilst im out riding either alone or with the lads, time simply doesnt matter. Thats part of biking to me. Forget about 'normal' life and get out on some good roads and get your wheel up and knee down!

There is one watch however, that I only wear when I know im as unlikely as can be, to knock it. Thats the Zero West prototype, as it cant be replaced and means far more to me than its price tag. Its for when I want 'that feeling'.

Re the Rolex above, other than its value getting obliterated, I like it! If it was mine and I was lucky enough to be able to replace it, id actually keep it as is and wear it regularly. It tells a story about a part of the owners life and thats really cool to me. Just hope the owner is ok and their bike isnt too badly damaged!!!
downer

Post by downer »

I never thought of myself as a rebel, but I definitely swim against popular opinion here. I ALWAYS wear a watch when I'm riding my bikes. My watches fit fine with my jackets/gloves - no problem at all. I've ridden about 90,000 miles in the past 5 years, so I've given the process a good test.

If I have an incident on the bike, I'll have bigger things to worry about than my watch.

As for other circumstances, I never go anywhere posh enough or rough enough to worry about it.
These users thanked the author downer for the post (total 2):
Gar787nbg
Richard
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dickchins »

downer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:21 pm I never thought of myself as a rebel, but I definitely swim against popular opinion here. I ALWAYS wear a watch when I'm riding my bikes. My watches fit fine with my jackets/gloves - no problem at all. I've ridden about 90,000 miles in the past 5 years, so I've given the process a good test.

If I have an incident on the bike, I'll have bigger things to worry about than my watch.

As for other circumstances, I never go anywhere posh enough or rough enough to worry about it.

If it fits, it fits...!!!

Agree 100% that a watch would be last on the priority list if you bin it! I wear my watches on my right wrist as I dropped my R6 years ago and had my wrist rebuilt with plates, screws and wire. I wasnt wearing a watch and doubt the damage would be much, if any different if I was!

I still really like that mangled Rolex though!!!
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

missF wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:33 am
But all I could think of was - this person must have been thinking about their watch all the way down and along and until they came to a complete stop and could check on the damage :hot2:
I think if I was bouncing along the tarmac on my butt, my watch would be the last thing on my mind :lol:
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TheBeatles wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:59 pm I think if I was bouncing along the tarmac on my butt, my watch would be the last thing on my mind :lol:
That would depend to some extent on where your mind is located.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Baser
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Baser »

Always wore mine when I used to ride. The only times I don’t wear anything special now is during exercise or when I know I will be working with tools / equipment where they are likely to die from a thousand scratches and dings. I still wear a watch but it’s a throwaway Apple Watch.
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Dickchins wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:56 am . . . . . ..

Re the Rolex above, other than its value getting obliterated, I like it! If it was mine and I was lucky enough to be able to replace it, id actually keep it as is and wear it regularly. It tells a story about a part of the owners life and thats really cool to me. Just hope the owner is ok and their bike isnt too badly damaged!!!
Then a family member could take it to the Antiques Roadshow in 25 years time and be told it's worth £££££. :lol: :lol:

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Dickchins
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England