Where to go next? …

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Where to go next? …

Post by missF »

So this year I reached this curious watchie place of satisfaction. I realised I had reached a very enjoyable place where (a) I was content that I had done all the mad flipping, exploring and experimenting that I ever wanted to do; (b) I had found the white dial bracelet watch that I think I’ve been looking for all this time.

So the question was clear - what next?

I could carry on at a slower flip rate, in the same way, forever, turning over watches, doing the research, chase, buy, eventually sell, cycle indefinitely. But I didn’t feel too keen to just settle into a pattern and stay there. I could fold and leave the table, time served, with a handful of watches and experiences that I couldn’t dream of when I first set out.

I don’t want to do either of these things. My smaller collection is now so crispy that every watch I put on gives me total watchie pleasure. I don’t think there’s much more selling required now. Would I swap my C60 LBD for a pelagos? I think the pelagos is the best looking dive watch in the world, but it would be very hard to make the switch. Joy per £ is part of the chase.

Financially I can’t reach any further, and that’s fine because I don’t think now that adding cost to the watches I have could offer me any more joy in owning and wearing them.

And so I’m grateful that my FLE isn’t arriving until January and my ‘Imprudently Spendy’ alter needed to jump in and do something about that, and there are just no watchie funds left…

I found this one on eBay and it arrived today in time for Christmas. I absolutely love it. I guess that my formative years for watching watches were the 80s, and ana-digi watches - well, I was a bit captivated. I don’t want to ever wear a smart watch, because I don’t want connectivity on my wrist. But I love having all this digital information on my wrist. And a moonphase too! (Though currently without the manual I have no idea how to set it :lol: ). It has nostalgia, far more coolness than a G shock, if less WR (YMMV), and far more importantly I can see another 10 year rabbit hole ahead that won’t be as costly as the first ten years was :lol:

Here it is.
IMG_3850.jpeg

Edit : it even tells me if it’s a good day to go fishing
:lol: :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 7):
rkovarsBahnstormer_vRSNigelSKipGreatpotfarmNoushthomcat00
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Re: Where to go next? …

Post by missF »

And a lume shot :lol:
IMG_3852.jpeg
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

That's good old-fashioned "point of LED" lume innit? I've found that in pitch black it lights the dial sufficiently to show the way to the two pointy parts but in gloaming/half-light it is less successful. In fact the top display on your DSLR will be about the same.

Reading whether others are with the want/buy/flip habit is quite cathartic. Apart from an itch to have a fourth attempt at settling with the Seiko Alpinist SARB017 I do keep walking through (metaphorically) Aliexpress - it's kinda like walking through Woolworths as was or Poundland: I've got the munchies but apart from just buying something to reduce the number of coins jingling in my pocket it really isn't going to scratch the itch properly. So.... hands in pockets and walk on.

Say.... does that watch have a fish finder app? :lol:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
missF
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

A quick search of the Casio website should turn up the manual. You just need to know the movement or the model number. I have a similar Casio that I had king lost the manual for. Found it on the website in about five minutes. Watches of this sort are a lot of fun, with all their features.

I have no advise for where to head in your journey.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
missFtikkathree
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:13 pm I have no advise for where to head in your journey.
No advice necessary really. I’m glad that I’m where I’m at, and I’m glad that I still have enthusiasm and can still join in the game.

I suppose the only thing I’m wondering is - will I end up with a suitcase full of Casio ana-digi watches from the eighties? Or could I find a great meandering satisfaction in doing one-in-one-out? :thumbup:
Baser
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Baser »

It's great you've reach the point where you content with your collection, maybe it's time for an updated SOTC? There are some really interesting Casio custom options, being able to change the colour or style of the watch case looks like a (relatively) cheap fun way to explore another avenue in watches. If you are into lume have a look at the tritium tube watches, personally love Luminox which I enjoy wearing more at night than during the day.

There are a few members here who operate the one in, one out method but I am a one in, one more in collector at the moment.

For me its the thrill of the chase, there a few watches I want(ed) to own, I enjoy spending the time researching them and keeping an eye out for when they come up or building a small network of watch collectors to help with the hunt. I've added a C9 ME109 and C8 Regulator LE this year, both were grail watches so I have been very lucky to find them both in great condition from great forum and CWE Facebook members.

I have a final CW grail pilots watch the M2.04 left to finish my collection if anyone has one they want to part with (at some point in the future when my bank balance has recovered). After this or maybe before I need a C65 Pepsi/PanAm GMT to get away from my usual pilot black dial, cream lume style.

Outside of CW I would love a IWC big pilot chronograph or an Omega Speedmaster dark side of the moon but I can't see me ever being able or willing to spend that kind of money on a watch. I love them and I am lucky to own a couple of special pieces but that's serious money for me. I have met a few people from the watch collecting world, some have gone to far using the magical 0% APR to buy some very expensive Omega's, B&R's or IWC's and I don't think it has made them happier with their collection or their bank manager happy using all of their disposable income.
These users thanked the author Baser for the post:
missF
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

An interesting read/story as always Lindsey :thumbup:
What a great watch you have there and something a bit different from the norm (i.e. G-Shocks).
These users thanked the author StrapMeister for the post:
missF
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Baser wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:26 pm It's great you've reach the point where you content with your collection, maybe it's time for an updated SOTC?
Well, there’s one biggy I want to add next year so I’ll hold off doing a SOTC til then. Also of course the FLE arriving January.
There’s definitely so much to enjoy about this way of life - I’ve never chased down a watch that’s unavailable to be - I’ve been too impulsive in recent years :lol: But - I don’t believe we would enjoy this at all if there weren’t some limits and restrictions for us to bump up against - time, unavailable watches, financial situation, unhappy significant other /kids :lol: :thumbup:
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

That’s an interesting acquisition Lindsey, it sounds like you’ve reached the stage I’m currently at. No more big purchases and settle with what you have with the big three, however have some lower value watches that you are happy to chop and change to keep the excitement alive of a new watch arriving.

Whether you settle on this current digital rabbit hole or deviate while on the journey will be interesting to watch. No pun intended.

On another note……..

missF wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:06 pm Though currently without the manual I have no idea how to set it :lol:

Is this the correct manual?

https://support.casio.com/storage/en/ma ... qw3769.pdf
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

@iain - yes! That’s the one - thanks :D
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^ Excellent, however you might want to also look into this to help you work it out……..

Edinburgh University MEng Electronics and Electrical Engineering
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Haha! I’ll get on it :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

Analog digitals are awesome (I have one myself), but why not add a killer skeleton time gage as well?
Dan
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Greatpotfarm wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:30 pm Analog digitals are awesome (I have one myself), but why not add a killer skeleton time gage as well?
You know, if CW produce a The Twelve Skeleton next year I’ll just have to despair and buy one and throw my overthunk plans in the air.Again…. :lol:
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

missF wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:29 pm
Greatpotfarm wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:30 pm Analog digitals are awesome (I have one myself), but why not add a killer skeleton time gage as well?
You know, if CW produce a The Twelve Skeleton next year I’ll just have to despair and buy one and throw my overthunk plans in the air.Again…. :lol:
Don't say it out loud... they might just hear you!
Dan