What say you this morning? (A rant...)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

What say you this morning? (A rant...)

Post by missF »

Pretty much the only time I see Lug-to-Lug measurements given with watches are on micro brand sites. And - well done CW. Other Major industry watch brands, ADs - almost never!
Why should I have to trawl around Google and old forum entries before I find it?? When I can’t find basic information I need about a watch I just get inclined to say Forget It.

That’s my thought for the day - anyone else get this narked over L2L measurements? :evil:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
ViognierStif
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: What say you this morning? (A rant...)

Post by tikkathree »

Corollary to this there's a predictability that if you don't list this measurement or maybe case thickness in a FS advert you just know that someone's not going to be bothered to research the manufacturer's data and is going to ping the question over to you. That "Forget it" inclination works both ways you know.

I should declare here that @missF's post and my response are NOT indicative of any kind of spat between us; not at all.

My morning rant is directed at CW for servicing a COSC watch and not forwarding the timegrapher readouts when shipping the watch back.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:11 am I should declare here that @missF's post and my response are NOT indicative of any kind of spat between us; not at all.
Oh god it’s way to early in the day for spats :lol:
For private sale pre-owned adverts I don’t have a problem with what information is given on the advert. I think the seller can almost get away with giving the full name and code of the watch and little else. That definitely seems to happen more for cheaper watches where the effort to type out every detail of the watch might be higher than the value of the watch. But when I go back to the manufacturer to learn the dimensions - I’d like to be told all the dimensions....
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
tikkathree
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

L2L measurements are something that even CW didn't list until circa 2015. All prior measurements that are now posted in the CWArchives were done by myself or requested from CW.

Frankly, CW started including the L2L measurement largely due to the input from this forum.

It is an important measurement and I have often wondered why makers have not included it in their specs.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post (total 6):
nbgmissFViogniertikkathreeStifthomcat00
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I have always viewed L2L and the size of the dial as more significant indicators of how a watch is likely to wear than just the case size.

Detail is important!

In theory if you try on a watch, that is a better indication of whether the watch is one to consider. I take this a stage further and always carry a piece of tape measure in my wallet, with a micro fibre cloth. When I try on a watch that piques my interest I still end up measuring the L2L, as well as taking a wrist pic. Helps to avoid looking back with rose tinted spectacles and thinking that a watch that has too long a L2L is ok.
0FB916EA-2939-4E96-8931-10693DA685E9.png
Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 4):
missFrkovarsViognierStif
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Another one that bugs me is case height without crystal height or overall height without the crystal height. A watch that is 14.5mm with a flat crystal wears way differently than a watch that has a case of 12 mm with a 2.5 mm domed crystal. More info is better!

I'm with Neil too. I always snap a quick pic when I try on a watch so that I can refer back later. Everything looks great in the heat of the moment.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
tikkathreeStif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:11 am I have always viewed L2L and the size of the dial as more significant indicators of how a watch is likely to wear than just the case size.
I agree with you on both of those, Neil. One reason I’m a bit anti dive watches is that a lot of them have a relatively small dial, and the larger case is accounted for by a wide bezel.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
nbg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:07 am
tikkathree wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:11 am I should declare here that @missF's post and my response are NOT indicative of any kind of spat between us; not at all.
Oh god it’s way to early in the day for spats :lol:
For private sale pre-owned adverts I don’t have a problem with what information is given on the advert. I think the seller can almost get away with giving the full name and code of the watch and little else. That definitely seems to happen more for cheaper watches where the effort to type out every detail of the watch might be higher than the value of the watch. But when I go back to the manufacturer to learn the dimensions - I’d like to be told all the dimensions....
Golly, I've learned summat else! "Spatterdash" https://spats-boots.com/the-history-of- ... d%20boots.

C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Completely agree that L2L and case height are critical measurements to know, particularly when you haven't been able to see a watch in person. I too have found myself searching google vainly trying to find that random forum post where someone has quoted these stats, seldom if ever found on the brand's own website.

I guess it's a bit like meeting a tall dark handsome stranger on a blind date and finding he's 6 inches shorter than you, the sort of vital statistic you'd hope to be told in advance :problem: (probably how my wife felt, as she is taller than me :lol: ).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way