Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

What's your algorithm?

Post by missF »

What are you searching for online?
Was thinking about this in tandem with the thread about watch hunting before the internet. Now we can call up information on a world of watches using searches that suit our tastes. And get notified too! So I'm wondering - how do you search and what things do you search for??

Some of my saved searches (across various sites) are fairly broad in nature:
White dial Longines
New Old Stock
1974 (birth year)
Men's vintage 1960s watch

Others are more specific:
Tudor oysterdate jumbo
Ingenieur

How do you make the algorithm work for you?
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: What's your algorithm?

Post by tikkathree »

Honestly?

I have a number of saved watch model specific searches at EBay and some of the online watch sites like chrono24 and watchfinder. The latter send me search results which, truth to tell I don't often bother to look at and the former, t'EBay, flashes into my email inbox every time a new watch meeting the criteria gets listed and some of them I look at and some of them, frankly I don't bother. This shameful behaviour on my part is because I am no longer actively searching for whatever it is.

So honestly, I have the algorithms doing work which I then selectively ignore. I'm of the view that if the algorithm were more refined it would send me a warning to the effect that "we send you results which you completely ignore: if this persists we shall terminate our service to you."

That's it really.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
missF
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

No algorithm.

Searches etc deleted on a regular basis. I’m happy to input whenever necessary.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
missF
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Baser
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Baser »

Have 5 ish watches on my list I am looking for, the list changes from time to time as does the effort to find them based on the cash balance in the watch account.

Currently short on cash following the purchase C11 Ti Extreme 1000 so not looking that hard. Mostly hunt on Ward Hoard, eBay, Facebook watch groups, Chrono24 or just google upcoming watch auctions or jewellers which takes a bit more time and effort but usually gets a better deal.

1980 - birth year - thinking classic Omega but probably last on the list. Might compromise for serial number 80 or 1980......
C1000 Typhoon - looking for a clean watch, found one but bought the C11 Ti instead
Omega Speedy - would love a dark side of the moon but they are serious £££££
IWC Big Pilot - would love one to add to my flyer collection on but they are £££££
C8 Power reserve - PVD to complete the set

One of my customers has recently started wearing a Panerai of some description, looks stunning if a little dressy, might need to replace something on the list........
These users thanked the author Baser for the post:
missF
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
MistaFroggyG
Guru
Guru

Post by MistaFroggyG »

I’ve found the most success with saved eBay searches for specific models that I’m looking for. Because they’re such specific alerts, there’s not much noise.

I picked up my Bulova, C1 Moonglow, Red Tsuyosa, and Red Attesa that way at fantastic prices with this method. The Moonglow, Bulova, and Attesa are all LE’s or pretty low volume models so I’m happy I didn’t have much competition.

I currently wiped out the list after depleting the cash with some tech and the Attesa. If there’s currently can’t-miss deals, I do not want to know about them!
These users thanked the author MistaFroggyG for the post:
missF
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

So far you're all very considered and specific about what you're searching for. It's almost like you know what you want to buy and then go and search for it? But how do you know what you want to buy?

I like scrolling thousands of watches to discover what I like. That's how I found the C11 that started all of this. So from time to time I'll dive into a broad search like 'New Old Stock' just to see what catches my eye/brain/heart. Very little does jump out - it takes something special to really catch me. Obviously I can't buy everything that catches my eye, but I see it as a practice of honing in.

I used to spend insomnia nights doing this but I sleep better these days :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Rezn8r
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

missF wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:24 am So far you're all very considered and specific about what you're searching for. It's almost like you know what you want to buy and then go and search for it? But how do you know what you want to buy?
I don’t, always. But I start by having a firm idea of the things I don’t want to buy. That invariably narrows down the field.

It’s usually about once a year that I get the urge to go digging. And it almost always seems to be around spring or early summer. Maybe I’ll avoid it this year unless I can find a nice tonneau.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

@Amor Vincit Omnia
Steve- I remember when you found your UN GMT. As I recall you were looking around for a GMT and had some ideas down on what you did and didn't want. Then someone chimed in with a pic of their UN and you were smitten, and bought one very quickly after that. Tell me where I'm misremembering your story! I just remember at the time thinking that it was a great combination of lots of research and knowing a lot about watches - but then getting a sprinkle of stardust from an unexpected direction.

I'm all for being open to sprinkles of stardust coming from unexpected directions. I wouldn't have found the C11 otherwise :D
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@missF
Well remembered, Lindsey.

https://www.christopherwardforum.com/o ... ml#p857949

I wanted inspiration for something left field, and threw the idea at the forum. I got a few suggestions that were wide of the mark, but it was actually Neil who posted a picture of the UN on page 2. One of the mods on TWF runs the website that picture came from, and he sent me a PM when I posted a similar request. so the picture Neil posted is actually my watch.

But I began with a list of things I didn’t want: divers, Fliegers, military, chronograph, white on white, various coloured dials, over 40 mm…
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
missF
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Perhaps I'll just use the forum for my next big watch hunt. Plug in the parameter 'something left field' and see what happens :D :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Baser
Senior
Senior

Post by Baser »

missF wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:24 am So far you're all very considered and specific about what you're searching for. It's almost like you know what you want to buy and then go and search for it? But how do you know what you want to buy?

I like scrolling thousands of watches to discover what I like. That's how I found the C11 that started all of this. So from time to time I'll dive into a broad search like 'New Old Stock' just to see what catches my eye/brain/heart. Very little does jump out - it takes something special to really catch me. Obviously I can't buy everything that catches my eye, but I see it as a practice of honing in.

I used to spend insomnia nights doing this but I sleep better these days :lol:
To start the hunt for something 'new' I start by having a look at what Guy has just bought as he has excellent taste!

The Microbrands Facebook group often has interesting new watches pop up.

Also have a thing for exhibition case backs and pilot watches so type that into google and start browsing, found this today which looks pretty awesome.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296215224079 ... R6b_7Ki0Yw
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Baser wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:04 pm To start the hunt for something 'new' I start by having a look at what Guy has just bought as he has excellent taste!
Ha! That's a good scheme.
Being on a watch forum is obviously a great way to prompt searches. I just have to try and avoid saying things to myself like:
Ooooh, great watch; I actually need a 46mm dive GMT chronograph with added Disney characters - let's see what eBay has for me.... :lol:
DavidCM
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

Sometimes I just enter a price range and see what gets thrown up and then head off researching ones that appeal.

I first rule many out until I end up focusing on a specific model.

Then look at specific options such as dial colours or bracelet options.

Then when I’ve decided what I’m after I start to hunt it down.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
missF
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I don’t have any saved searches, but then again I am unlikely to buy a watch from EBay or Chrono24.

If I see a watch that I like the look of, I would then do some research about the specific model, if I haven’t already done so.

I am unlikely to buy anything random, on the spur of the moment, although I have in the past.

I tend to just carry a list in my head of watches I like the idea of buying. If a year or so down the track I saw one and I hadn’t already moved my thoughts elsewhere, I would buy if the price is right.

My view is that if I immediately set up a constant search for the watch when it first caught my eye, I would likely end up buying just because I had found one.

From time to time I scroll through WF to see if anything from a group of lesser known brands catches my eye.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

I have tons of searches going on all at once. Most of them are just for watching prices. Watches that get the short list go into a Onenote I created that I call my virtual watchbox. Watches come and go from here on a regular basis. The watch meetups help as I am able to get my hands on a lot of watches without having to buy them.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London