What have you spotted today?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

What have you spotted today?

Post by StrappedUp »

We have a thread running about CWs spotted in the wild, but I'm not sure I've come across one for watches in general.

Now I get rather excited when I see a decent watch out and about, but I almost always have nobody to discuss it with as the Wife just doesn't understand (read 'doesn't care') and my work colleagues think my watch habits are a bit nutty! :irre:

So ... I was on a little business jaunt yesterday and saw 2 watches that made me go a little giddy. One being a Bremont Supersonic on the wrist of a customer I was visiting, and the other being a Panerai on vintage bond nato I saw while sat queuing on the M4.

I commented on the Bremont during my previous visit and he was delighted that I noticed, but then I mentioned 'The Wing' and the atmosphere changed ever so slightly ...
So what better place to discuss the delight of seeing something a bit special, or maybe just different on someones wrist when venturing outside.

What watches have you seen today that made you think "thas tidy butt, tha is!"? Please do share here ...
These users thanked the author StrappedUp for the post (total 3):
Thunder1jkbarnesROF68
Ryan
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: What have you spotted today?

Post by timor54 »

Just been to the local post office to post a watch (as one does…). The guy who runs it has recently been wearing a Breitling Superocean Heritage ‘57 on a mesh bracelet. Not generally a fan of Breitlings but this one looks very smart with its concave ceramic bezel.

He always asks what’s in the package and I get a wry smile when I always answer “a watch”.
These users thanked the author timor54 for the post (total 3):
StrappedUpThunder1jkbarnes
Tim
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

timor54 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:28 pm Just been to the local post office to post a watch (as one does…). The guy who runs it has recently been wearing a Breitling Superocean Heritage ‘57 on a mesh bracelet. Not generally a fan of Breitlings but this one looks very smart with its concave ceramic bezel.

He always asks what’s in the package and I get a wry smile when I always answer “a watch”.
Excellent :clap:

I'm on nattering terms with the lady in our local PO for fairly obvious reasons. :oops:
And similarly, as I approach the counter, she immediately asks "what's the value?".

Had to Google the '57 as I was picturing the standard Heritage model until you mentioned the concave bezel. Similar in appearance to the Rado Captain Cooks (not a bad thing imo). I like the look of the black/multi-coloured version, very snazzy! :thumbup:
These users thanked the author StrappedUp for the post (total 3):
Thunder1timor54kiter65
Ryan
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

I saw a Rolex Sky-Dweller on my flight from Dallas to Chicago last week. I didn't say anything to him since it was in the rush of boarding the plane, and I had a ways to go still after passing his first class seat :lol:

It was this one exactly. I love these watches.

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 9.53.56 AM.png
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 2):
StrappedUpThunder1
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Great idea for a thread. Sadly, In my neck of the woods and my line of work, I don’t see many interesting watches. I had a nice conversation with a coworker when I noticed his battle scared Omega SMP on his wrist. Wasn’t expecting that in school.

Many years ago at a high school reunion I struck up a conversation with a classmate about her Milgauss.

That’s it for me - nothing recent.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
StrappedUp
Drew
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

I'm on nattering terms with the lady in our local PO for fairly obvious reasons. :oops:
And similarly, as I approach the counter, she immediately asks "what's the value?".

Posted one a couple of weeks ago, when asked the value (£200), the young lady said gosh that must be a special watch
Now it’s not often I’m stuck for a reply but I really didn’t know what to say :oops:
I could have pulled up my shelve acted like a proper £#&£, showed her my Sub, No love this is a special watch
I just agreed with her :D
It’s moments like these when you realise that most people just think a watch is a watch, something you buy from a high street shop / Argos etc for a few quid......we really are a bit different :lol:
These users thanked the author kiter65 for the post (total 3):
StrappedUpBahnstormer_vRSGreatpotfarm
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

kiter65 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:56 pm Posted one a couple of weeks ago, when asked the value (£200), the young lady said gosh that must be a special watch
Now it’s not often I’m stuck for a reply but I really didn’t know what to say :oops:

It’s moments like these when you realise that most people just think a watch is a watch, something you buy from a high street shop / Argos etc for a few quid......we really are a bit different :lol:
:lol: And we're special, not different.

Ps. stop derailing Rich otherwise it's at risk of becoming an interesting thread!
These users thanked the author StrappedUp for the post:
kiter65
Ryan
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Sorry mate :lol:, I’ll be back when I’ve spotted something, might be sooner rather than later, visit from the powers above, at work, later this week :thumbup:
These users thanked the author kiter65 for the post:
StrappedUp
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

A professor friend was very recently gifted a Rolex Wimbledon from his wife when he retired. Neither of them are all that interested in watches generally. I did see it when I bumped into them a few months ago.

Where I am is rural and the nearby population centers around the colleges here. Most people I know are not watch-centric or even watch-adjacent. Smart watches dominate among those who wear any watches.

Once, some time in the last few years, I saw on eBay someone in my area was selling their CW. I enquired after the watch, a C5, and offered to meet locally to inspect and possibly buy it. I was ignored entirely.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
StrappedUp
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Earlier today, oh just after 4 am, I opened my laptop, went to facebook and I'm sure I saw a post in a watch group, photos of something I didn't expect to be seeing until after 4pm this afternoon.
I've just looked again but can't find it: perhaps someone has, to borrow from the Scots, "taken it doon"?
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
StrappedUp
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Out for dinner with a colleague last night who i have chatted watches with before, he always asks what you wearing then within first 5 mins, he doesn't volunteer his and I always presumed it was just friendly chat... turns out he was wearing a very nice and impressive Rolex Sub green bezel/dial (hulk) last night, also has a GMT master and a DJ, came in today with a very nice Omega constellation and also has a seemaster 300 and an aqua terra and various others. Very much a watch guy, just doesn't shout about it.
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post:
StrappedUp
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Sat opposite someone on the train today who was wearing a speedmaster. I noticed it from the bezel edge and pushers/crown that was poking out from his sleeve and it was confirmed when he push up his jacket to check the time. I suspect he clocked my watch as he kept looking down at my wrist but neither of us said anything.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
StrappedUp
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

iain wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:21 pm Sat opposite someone on the train today who was wearing a speedmaster. I noticed it from the bezel edge and pushers/crown that was poking out from his sleeve and it was confirmed when he push up his jacket to check the time. I suspect he clocked my watch as he kept looking down at my wrist but neither of us said anything.
That’s ripe for a “missed connection” ad on Craigslist!
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
rkovars
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^ :lol: :lol:
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Not sure if this counts but spotted a NF today......my ex boss....I sold him it a bit back :D