What book are you reading

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: What book are you reading

Post by gwells »

i'm right behind you in the series. finished user of weapons a month or so ago. bouncing around multiple series right now. currently reading dreadnought, the sequel to boneshaker. a kind of steampunk series set in extended civil war america (in this novel, the civil war is in something like its 20th year as it grinds on and on).
the "g" is for Greg...
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

gwells....who is the auther, and what is the first book in the series......I am interested as Bernard Cornwell also did a great book on the American Civil war, I think it was called "Rebal" and a gracking read....all his books are fiction based on real events and a fantastic read

Lavine......thanks for the heads up...it's a great read, and just getting into it
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

the first book isn't really civil war at all, it's seattle based, called boneshaker, by cherie priest. it's in late 1800s seattle. the civil war is mentioned, but it's tertiary to the story.

dreadnought has a much stronger civil war presence. but, like i said, it's really an alternate reality of the civil war, with it lengthening and having steampunk weaponry get developed.
the "g" is for Greg...
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

Cirrus wrote:I am reading all the Culture Novels in chronological order to prepare me for the newest one... currently on this;

:shock:
Coincidence! Me too. I'd not read Banks before (well, not his Sci-Fi anyway). I started reading them over Christmas and got to this one (I've since been distracted by my main reading habits - non-fiction - and other things, so I really ought to get back to it before I forget what's going on!).
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Mortis wrote:
Cirrus wrote:I am reading all the Culture Novels in chronological order to prepare me for the newest one... currently on this;

Coincidence! Me too. I'd not read Banks before (well, not his Sci-Fi anyway). I started reading them over Christmas and got to this one (I've since been distracted by my main reading habits - non-fiction - and other things, so I really ought to get back to it before I forget what's going on!).

Probably a daft question seeing as you are both reading them...but are these any good? I mean,do they 'flow' or do you have to work at them a bit?
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

village wrote:
Mortis wrote:

Probably a daft question seeing as you are both reading them...but are these any good? I mean,do they 'flow' or do you have to work at them a bit?
They aren't always the easiest books to read, but they are certainly worth the effort ;)

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

if you mean flow between books? so far, not necessarily. they're distinctly separate stories set in the same "universe." but the concepts of that universe tie together neatly, i think (at least so far).
the "g" is for Greg...
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

They flow well enough for me. It's hardly high-brow, but they have decent pace and seem well-researched / thought out. The characters are interesting. If you enjoy his non-sci-fi then they are worth a go. The first one (Consider Phlebas) seems the best so far...
WatchmanUSA
Junior
Junior

Post by WatchmanUSA »

The War of the Revolution
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by Ceegee »

poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

Meditation - the way to ultimate happiness.

Up to chapter three but can't say I'm feeling any less miserable................
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Judith millers" watches" just keeping up with the watch models
Bernie
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Sea of Ghosts for me.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOS4A2

Its good, in a not having to really think about it kind of way.

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Who Am I - Pete Townshend

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)