Weird or normal? (Contains watch related content)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Weird or normal? (Contains watch related content)

Post by nbg »

Back in November 2020 I bought a watch.

It was at a far lower price point than the CWs that I have purchased . I have IIRC paid similar for a bespoke strap to fit a Reverso.

I liked the idea of the watch, but until now I have only worn it a couple of times. It came on the bracelet and I initially switched it between orange and black rubber straps and a couple of NATO’s. It is a chunky little thing, relative to size and felt rather top heavy.

Bracelet back on, let’s give it a go. Felt a bit tight after a while, or too loose if I altered the micro adjustment on the clasp.

So back in the box it went and never picked up, other than to put on for an hour, before taking it off.

It now became an ideal candidate for the “if I sell say 10 random cheap purchases I could buy another Tudor, or spend the proceeds on a weeks holiday”. But I tend not to get around to such activity, although I have certainly curbed the random purchase instinct at all price points. So progress after all.

How have I ended up wearing it?

Well someone on another forum put up a “want to buy” post for one. I thought that I would check over my watch, see if I could locate the box and if all good, I would ask if he wanted to buy. He mentioned that he had sold his previous one, because he had tried it not on the bracelet, but had now realised that perhaps wearing it on the bracelet was the best option.

However someone else offered up theirs and I just thought I would give mine another go.

It turns out that in the time since I last tried wearing it all day, my wrist is very slightly slimmer. Probably because I have lost about 7lbs in weight.

Free advice - if you want to bulk up the size of your wrist - just eat more pies (disclaimer: there may be adverse health consequences of following this course of action).

The watch now fits fine and I am happy enough to wear it all day.

I look at it and think that it is rather different to most of my watches. It is also not trying to be anything other than what it is. Unfortunately the same can not be said of the majority of homage (if being polite), or copy (if being more direct) watches that seem to have sprung up in increasing numbers.

The watch will be ideal for playing on the beach with my grandchildren this summer. Whilst I am happy to wear my best suitable more expensive watches in the sea, I draw the line at scratching them up building sandcastles. This will do nicely.

Brutal simplicity. I like it. :)
1C8C293D-D994-4C64-B234-AD125258CA73.png
Has anyone else rediscovered a watch that they had previously dismissed?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Weird or normal? (Contains watch related content)

Post by Noush »

I have no personal parallel story to share, however this is a good tale! :thumbup:
Certainly not your usual style of watch but for sure a no-nonsense watch has its appeal and this one has a self-assured way about it. It knows what is is and that's not 'something else'. Enjoy!
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I kind of rediscovered the supercompressor after putting it in the ‘probably sell’ cupboard quite early on. In this case it was discovering different straps I could happily wear it on the resurrected it. That and the stubborn insistence that it’s one of the best styled watches I’ve ever seen and will ever own so I’d just better find some way to wear and enjoy it!

The Dreadnought I love. The hands and perhaps the SS bezel put me in mind of Doxa but mostly it’s a diver doing it’s own thing. And sticking to it. This watch will never have a sunburst dial or a range of colours. How refreshing :thumbup: :D
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

@missF
They do now have a polar white dial version as well as the black dial…

I know how much you like a white dial! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:43 pm
I know how much you like a white dial! :)
Doh!! How come there’s always one more white dial??! :help:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:14 pm
The watch will be ideal for playing on the beach with my grandchildren this summer.
Which will make it special. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
nbg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

Normal, and my own story is almost the exact same as @missF. I wasn’t wearing my super compressor very much, and put it away for a couple months to prep for sale. I had been wearing it a lot on bracelet. I got it back out and wore it on rubber for a day to make sure timekeeping was still good, and fell back in love. Turns out I didn’t like how big the male endlinks made it feel on the wrist, but I didn’t realize it at the time.

I love the look of your dreadnought. I hope it gets some good use!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925