Until next time UK!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: Until next time UK!

Post by missF »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:44 pm The reason for the G&T question is because the standard dispensed measures are so ridiculously mean. Greeks do proper G&T - generous guesswork. I have to ask my friend Dimitri to go a bit easier on the G! :lol:

Accents? Newcastle and Glasgow for you next time!
I remember there was a lot of stooshy years back when weights and measures got reviewed and changed. I’m not sure why, but a standard single measure of spirits was reduced from 35ml to 25ml. Perhaps for our health. So the result was - loads of people switched to drinking doubles instead and bartenders even offer them now so as not to offend the punter :lol: :booze:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:38 am I’m not sure why, but a standard single measure of spirits was reduced from 35ml to 25ml.
Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense now. I never thought to inquire as to what was a standard pour. I actually have no idea how ml equate to oz. I’m used to a standard G&T being a 2oz pour.

Looks like I should have been asking for a double! Of course, then the price would have doubled.
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:46 am I actually have no idea how ml equate to oz. I’m used to a standard G&T being a 2oz pour.

Looks like I should have been asking for a double! Of course, then the price would have doubled.
A 2oz US measure is 59.14705912ml so more than a UK double. And you had the cheek to call us alcoholic….
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:12 pm A 2oz US measure is 59.14705912ml so more than a UK double. And you had the cheek to call us alcoholic….
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, in my defense, I’m thinking a double is about 4oz of alcohol!

On a serious note, at home I pour 2oz with roughly 4oz of tonic for a 2:1 ratio. I’m not sure what would be poured at a bar. It might be 1.5oz then simply topped off by tonic out of the soda gun for god knows what kind of final ratio. I’m sure it depends on the bar.
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

^^^ just like my pint of beer is 568ml unless the head is taken into account and then it could be anything.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:46 am
missF wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:38 am I’m not sure why, but a standard single measure of spirits was reduced from 35ml to 25ml.
Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense now. I never thought to inquire as to what was a standard pour. I actually have no idea how ml equate to oz. I’m used to a standard G&T being a 2oz pour.

Not quite doubled. You would have 2 gins, and still one bottle of tonic. A small tonic (they sometimes call small bottles splits) is about 150ml, and a double is 50ml I think. A lot of UK pubs discount double measures as well. Happy hours and so on. Go double for an extra £2, something like that.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
jkbarnes