Titanium - myths, legends and facts?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Titanium - myths, legends and facts?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@nbg Interesting. I tried on a blue BC last week. Just a bit big, and on leather, but looked great. This one is 87g on resized bracelet, whereas the Ulysse Nardin, Speedmaster and Sealander on bracelet are all 140-150g. All much less than that 43mm Trident I had…heavy ole lump!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: Titanium - myths, legends and facts?

Post by gaf1958 »

I’ve owned a couple of dozen titanium watches and many were of the darker and duller variety, including notably, some of the older Omega Seamasters. The current crop of titanium Omegas though, don’t seem to get either darker or duller and in fact it’s difficult to pick the titanium ones from the stainless models. Are they coated, or simply a better grade of alloy? I don’t know, but I’m fine with them either way, but I must admit, I do quite like the modern ones that remain looking like new (and steel) for an awfully long time.
These users thanked the author gaf1958 for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Titanium - myths, legends and facts?

Post by gaf1958 »

A follow up - I just checked my titanium vs steel Zelos and I’m hard pressed to see much of a difference; although it is there. On the contrary, my titanium Farer compressor is noticeably darker and duller than its otherwise identical stainless stablemates.

Edit: My titanium CW C60 Elite GMT is slightly darker than its stainless brethren, but is every bit as shiny on the few polished parts there are on the watch.

The titanium Omegas though, keep on looking just like stainless steel, but oh so much lighter. I love a titanium watch; to me the luxury is in the lightness, rather than in the added heft of heavy precious metals, or even commonplace stainless. It’s kind of like the featherweight, ultra thin watches. The luxury is in the lightness there too, especially so if the ultra-thin watch is titanium…
These users thanked the author gaf1958 for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier