Timigrapher Apps

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Timigrapher Apps

Post by missF »

Does anyone use their phone to track the accuracy of their watches? Can you recommend me the most basic example ie one a five year old could understand? :thumbup:

Ta :D
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Timigrapher Apps

Post by jkbarnes »

These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
missF
Drew
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I'm an android but you probably knew that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got WildSpectra Mobile Lite and don't use it: rather too complicated for me and not intuitive for me old brain.

I've got Watch Accuracy Meter and do use it. Easy to understand and use.

Are they as accurate as a dedicated mains powered piece of kit? I don't honestly know. I use it to get a measure of how well a watch is running (I set my watches to an ordinary laptop computer clock and to the minute works for me. I'm not a subscriber to "At the third stroke it will be ten, fifteen and twenty seconds".)

My habit is to use the app somewhere quiet without background noise or vibration. I meter in every position - dial up, dial down, 3, 6, 9 and 12 up. I'll generally run through the cycle of positions twice.

I use the app to check new arrivals. Because I wind and set a watch when I bring it into use usually after the evening meal I'm looking for anything swinging away from sharing the same minute with my laptop. Sometimes it points to a watch which has been magnetised, possibly from spending too much time too close to the laptop: there's another gizmo you can buy. A couple of recent pre-owned purchases from EBay have gone off to CW for a full service as a result of out of spec timings checked maybe ten times over a couple of days.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
missF
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Yes I often measure the accuracy of my watches, but I don’t keep a record.

I do though know how fast or slow any of the watches that I have set and running are at any given point. I simply set them accurately to the second using the clock on my phone. If I then check a day or week later I know how much time has been gained or lost.

Most of the apps don’t really do anything more sophisticated, except keep a record and measure to typically 0.1s. But does it matter if my watch has gained 3.8s over say 72 hours, according to a watch accuracy app, or “that looks like +4s” using my method.

To understand more about the performance of the watch you need a timegrapher.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 2):
missFtikkathree
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK