Time between watch changes.

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Time between watch changes.

Post by JAFO »

I noticed that while I used to wear watches for only 2 or 3 days, I am now going for longer periods, and I'm comfortable wearing a watch for a week or even longer.

In January I have only worn 6 watches so far. At this rate, I can see I probably won't wear a fair few of my watches this year.

I know I have too many buy I can't be bothered selling. If someone posts a want to buy for something I have, that's probably going to be how I would sell some. :D

Because I have too many, I'm now very careful about acquiring more watches. It's a shame as I see loads I would love to own. :D
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Time between watch changes.

Post by TheBeatles »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:31 pm I noticed that while I used to wear watches for only 2 or 3 days, I am now going for longer periods, and I'm comfortable wearing a watch for a week or even longer.

In January I have only worn 6 watches so far. At this rate, I can see I probably won't wear a fair few of my watches this year.

I know I have too many buy I can't be bothered selling. If someone posts a want to buy for something I have, that's probably going to be how I would sell some. :D

Because I have too many, I'm now very careful about acquiring more watches. It's a shame as I see loads I would love to own. :D
Your comment makes a lot of sense with which I empathise.

I’ve got some I could let go, but not keen on eBay anymore. Not due to a bad experience just my laziness I guess.

I too, will watch the WTB thread with interest! Particularly as I don’t post pics, so can’t use the For Sale section.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@JAFO I can relate to all of this. I can remember a time when I almost invariably wore a different watch (sometimes two) every day.

What started the change with me was a decision round about 2018 to take only one watch on holidays and trips. I got very used to wearing the same watch for two weeks or more, and it sort of became a habit. Nowadays I rarely wear a watch for fewer than five days, and often longer than that.

I’m also a bit of a seasonal watch wearer. Something like the Twelve Ti (which I am wearing today) got a lot more wrist time in the summer than it has had recently, and will no doubt be a popular choice again when the weather picks up and the days get longer. As will the Sealander GMT. Conversely, watches on leather straps such as the Tank and the C9SS will probably get less time.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:31 pm I noticed that while I used to wear watches for only 2 or 3 days, I am now going for longer periods, and I'm comfortable wearing a watch for a week or even longer.

I'm beginning to worry about you @JAFO :? :? :? :?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@tikkathree

:clap: :clap: :rate10:
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

So many nice watches, so little time. I'm in the same boat; I've started slowing down my new acquisitions, and have offloaded quite a few. I still change watches daily and sometimes change during the day, but fewer choices help me spread the love more evenly and wear them more frequently.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Most of my watches were purchased after some consideration yet I still have far more than I wear regularly. For me it’s ok as I may go through periods when I favor certain ones over others. I’d consider letting some go. Until the pandemic began I’d never sold one, and two watches went because I found I was no longer interested in them and hadn’t worn them in some time. Another I let go because someone inquired.

I do need to moderate my acquisitions. Just because I can doesn’t mean I should. :D
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Tr3v0r86
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I've been through my one watch (C11) years (very happily); and now been through my flipping impulsive spell - one watch a day ish, aside from short honeymoon spells. I wear my aqua terra most days now - maybe up to a week/ ten days at a time. This is interspersed with some other watch that may last a day or three before I get back to the Aqua terra again. I think this is the set up the suits me best. I like it. I get to have a one-watch AND a host of distractions :D

(Lord knows what's going to happen when the FLE arrives mind... :lol: )
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Tr3v0r86
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I’ve settled on a two watch rotation. By that I mean I have two watches running and wear one during the day and another of an evening. I keep this up for about a week and then move to a different pair.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thus it can be seen…(to quote old O-level essays)

It’s not an exact science. We have strict rotators who keep strict records, we have people who like to wear a watch for an extended period, we have those who wear two watches every day, we have those whose select watches according to what they are doing or wearing, and we have those who are completely random about their selections.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Baser
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Baser »

It's a real challenge choosing which watch to wear in the morning but most days I wear the Apple Watch when I am out and about. I am often loading equipment in and out of a van for delivery / demonstration and when demonstrating I have to remove watches / rings etc etc so I just take the Apple Watch off and put it in my pocket. I really worry about damaging or loosing my mechanical watches to much to wear them daily in the field. I don't think its a value thing as an Apple Watch is not cheap its more the fear of hurting them, sad I know. The Apple Watch is a tool, when I broke my last one I just went to the Apple Store and bought a new one without a second thought other than ouch that was expensive.

Evenings and weekends I mostly wear 3 of my collection with the C8 Regulator LE the current favourite. The choice can take a little time but mostly the watch that is still running to the right time / date is the go to so they tend to do 3 or 4 days on the wrist before I pick something else. The change tends to happen due to the strap more than the watch, does it match my shoes / belt combo? Am I dressing up or down?
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

For the past three months my pattern has been approximately:

40% - the same watch, kept running throughout the period.
40% - a group of seven others from my group of favourite watches. Not all of which would be available to wear at all times.
20% - a bunch of other watches, typically worn for a day, before being put back in the box.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK