Thoroughly exceeded expectations

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Thoroughly exceeded expectations

Post by TheBeatles »

strapline wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:55 pm @rkovars 4,5,6 watches? Having trouble remembering? Why not use the GMT bezel of your Marathon to record your new purchases, much more practical than a second time zone. 😉

Des
I’m quite organised, I use a small spreadsheet (App called Numbers) to keep track of watches bought/sold.

Sold 9 this year, bought 6.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
rkovars
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
I did make my reply to rkovars with a bit of comedic license. Still, I'm impressed by your dedication to the cause.

D
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
rkovars
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

I had two new in this year (and one surprise incoming today… Watch this space :D ).

The C63 elite met my very high expectations for it and I’m still very pleased with it.

It’s the Tudor that blew me away. I’d never really given Tudor the time of day before. I didn’t like the snowflake hands. I wasn’t sure about slab sided cases. I prefer a date function on my watches. But the second I picked it up and turned it around in my hands, the quality of the build, the perfect muted color palette for my taste, and the simple and symmetrical design drew me in. The tightness and feel when clicking the bezel. The whole package really hit me hard.

IMG_6024.jpeg
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 2):
rkovarsstrapline
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:33 pm
strapline wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:55 pm @rkovars 4,5,6 watches? Having trouble remembering? Why not use the GMT bezel of your Marathon to record your new purchases, much more practical than a second time zone. 😉

Des
I’m quite organised, I use a small spreadsheet (App called Numbers) to keep track of watches bought/sold.

Sold 9 this year, bought 6.
I should have just used @Stif 's new filters to see what I had added! :thumbup:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

strapline wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:48 pm ^^ ^^
I did make my reply to rkovars with a bit of comedic license. Still, I'm impressed by your dedication to the cause.

D
I figured that, Des

I was just showing off my OCD :lol:
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:36 pm I had two new in this year (and one surprise incoming today… Watch this space :D ).

The C63 elite met my very high expectations for it and I’m still very pleased with it.

It’s the Tudor that blew me away. I’d never really given Tudor the time of day before. I didn’t like the snowflake hands. I wasn’t sure about slab sided cases. I prefer a date function on my watches. But the second I picked it up and turned it around in my hands, the quality of the build, the perfect muted color palette for my taste, and the simple and symmetrical design drew me in. The tightness and feel when clicking the bezel. The whole package really hit me hard.
I was hopeful that I might hear from you Alex. I remember how smitten you were with this watch when it arrived. I've found myself looking at this watch a few times since you added it to your box. There really is a lot to like. :D

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
ajax87
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

strapline wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:54 pm
ajax87 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:36 pm I had two new in this year (and one surprise incoming today… Watch this space :D ).

I was hopeful that I might hear from you Alex. I remember how smitten you were with this watch when it arrived. I've found myself looking at this watch a few times since you added it to your box. There really is a lot to like. :D

Des
Thanks, Des. Granted my expectations of Tudor watches were very low to begin with :lol:. But I'm all in. Even though I have no qualms about wearing this soft precious metal watch daily, I do daydream about giving it a break with the BB54.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I've bought a lot of watches this year. Although in my defence I've also sold a lot, more than I bought so I guess that's progress of sorts in whittling down the collection.

I don't really plan purchases, they tend to be spontaneous, opportunistic or both. The one that has stunned me this year was certainly both. It was an order of magnitude more money than I've ever spent on a watch, or ever intended to; yet it was probably inevitable that it would happen as it's been gnawing away at my brain for the best part of 6-7 years.

I very nearly bought one in about 2019 when they were considerably cheaper and had sort of resigned myself to keeping an eye on the used market. Nevertheless, I came home one day in June with a new Speedmaster.

What can I say other than in my opinion this is the perfect chronograph. Legible; I can read it at a glance, even the sub-dials, which is more than I can say for most others I've tried. Accurate; the 3861 calibre is Metas certified and mine averages about +3 sec's per week, and it hacks. Comfortable; it large but disappears into my wrist and the new bracelet is sublime. The small links seem to roll around the wrist and has a beautiful taper down to 15mm with a push button 'comfort setting' that give a links worth of adjustment. I tried it on a strap once and despite it looking lovely within an hour it was back on the bracelet where it has remained.

I'm really glad I didn't compromise on a used Speedy. This was a lot more money but in my subjective opinion is worth every extra pound. It's already my most worn watch this year and I can't see that changing in the future.

p.s. I know it's meant to be just one watch but I also have to make an honourable mention of my new Nomos Club Campus. A totally different watch but equally charming and endearing.
These users thanked the author timor54 for the post (total 4):
rkovarsmissFstraplineThegreyman
Tim
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

@timor54 God I love the moonwatch, it's a deserved icon. And, of course, what provenance. Did I mention that I love a manual watch, oh, and a chronograph. These are permanently gnawing at the back of my mind, too. Do they discount them at all? Yep, costly, but what a watch, what a story.

Des