There’s always “Unsubscribe”…

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

There’s always “Unsubscribe”…

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

…I suppose. :-k

I was going to post this in Curmudgeons’ Corner but thought I might invite replies instead.

My local Toyota dealership sent me an email inviting me to partake of all their fantastic summer offers on second hand cars. Would this be to replace the brand new car they sold me six months ago?

I do wish some smart aleck would invent and implement an algorithm that meant they wouldn’t send me such emails; the watch company wouldn’t send me emails encouraging me to buy the watch I bought three weeks ago; the holiday company wouldn’t send me emails encouraging me to book the holiday I’m already booked on; and Holiday Extras wouldn’t send me emails about booking the parking package I’ve already booked.

As I say, there’s always “unsubscribe”… :ka:

Sometimes I feel bombarded. These are all companies I like and use, but I wish they would leave me alone for at least a week (a day in some cases).

Does anyone else feel they get too many marketing emails?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: There’s always “Unsubscribe”…

Post by RichM »

Yes! Especially the "rate our service" Trustpilot type ones after *every* online purchase.
Amor Vincit Omnia

@RichM I pretty much ignore those. But then they send you at least two reminders that you haven’t rated them yet. Feefo is worse, with the travel company I use. Not only do they ask you to rate your holiday, even after you have filled in a handwritten questionnaire, but they ask you to rate your booking experience as well.
“I picked up the phone, spoke to a person, she took some money and sent me an email confirming my booking. In other words, she did what she is paid to do.”
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
RichM
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I appreciate when some emailers allow you control of the frequency of contact. Generally I do feel I get too many emails and delete heaps of them.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

It's a global thing it seems.
2 weeks after I got back from my trip to Tasmania using the Spirit of Tasmania ferry, they send me a 'valued customer' offer to sail the following month...
I get my car serviced at the dealer I bought it from. A lady from the dealer rings the next day to ask if I was happy and would I like to do a survey they would send by email. I said no thanks I'm over surveys. She did the right thing and didn't send me one, but VW did 2 days later...

Unsubscribe. I've tried that a couple of times. A link comes up to a survey on why did I want to unsubscribe?
Or alternately, you think you unsubscribed and you still get the emails anyway.

Sometimes I ask myself do I really want to spend money? I'll have to do a freaking survey...
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
DavidCM
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidCM »

This is reminiscent of years ago, receiving junk mail through the post.I would open the envelope which would usually contain a reply paid envelope.I would carefully fold their rubbish into this and return it all to them.
For extra satisfaction,I would fold the contents so as to pad out the thickness do they had to pay extra postage for an oversized letter.After a while the volume of junk mail decreased noticeably.
Never **55 off someone with too much time on his hands.
These users thanked the author DavidCM for the post (total 3):
thomcat00missFAmor Vincit Omnia
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

DavidCM wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:20 am ...Never **55 off someone with too much time on his hands.
:lol: Yep.
These users thanked the author Paul Drawmer for the post:
DavidCM
There's always time for one more.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

RichM wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:39 pm Yes! Especially the "rate our service" Trustpilot type ones after *every* online purchase.

Most companies these days with have an ISO9001 quality management system in place. One of the requirements of this is that you must seek and act on customer feedback.

In reality it’s a bit of a pain in the backside, as anyone who has had to seek feedback knows. People won’t engage and those who are asked for their feedback are fed up with being asked.

Over the years I’ve tried to come up with more inventive ways of doing this but it’s a bit of a nightmare if I’m honest.

Whenever I now get asked these questions, rather than ire, I tend to feel sympathy for the person whose job it is to ask the questions. I still don’t respond, I just decline more politely than I used to.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Chris GB
Senior
Senior

Post by Chris GB »

iain wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:45 am
RichM wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:39 pm Yes! Especially the "rate our service" Trustpilot type ones after *every* online purchase.

Most companies these days with have an ISO9001 quality management system in place. One of the requirements of this is that you must seek and act on customer feedback.

In reality it’s a bit of a pain in the backside, as anyone who has had to seek feedback knows. People won’t engage and those who are asked for their feedback are fed up with being asked.

Over the years I’ve tried to come up with more inventive ways of doing this but it’s a bit of a nightmare if I’m honest.

Whenever I now get asked these questions, rather than ire, I tend to feel sympathy for the person whose job it is to ask the questions. I still don’t respond, I just decline more politely than I used to.
This is one of the reasons why customer feedback is so popular, but the main reason should be that well implemented customer perception surveying can work as effective marketing.

Many companies don't understand that monitoring customer satisfaction for ISO9001 purposes does not actually require a company to survey customers!
C63 Sealander - Hunter Green. Twelve Ti -Purple. C65 Aquitaine - Seagrass Green. On order: C63 SH21 Blue Marine (delayed 4 months plus 3 months. So far). C1 Bel Canto - Voila (delayed). Waiting. Endless waiting.
Amor Vincit Omnia

DavidCM wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:20 am This is reminiscent of years ago, receiving junk mail through the post.I would open the envelope which would usually contain a reply paid envelope.I would carefully fold their rubbish into this and return it all to them.
For extra satisfaction,I would fold the contents so as to pad out the thickness do they had to pay extra postage for an oversized letter.After a while the volume of junk mail decreased noticeably.
Never **55 off someone with too much time on his hands.
My mother always used to make me smile; she did something very similar and referred to it as a small act of civil disobedience. She must have had plenty of time on her hands, because she carefully cut out any references to her name and address with a pair of scissors, and put the papers from one company into the envelope from another! :lol:
When passing the post office or a postbox, she always put the unaddressed junk mail delivered by RM back into the postbox. “I don’t want it, they can have it back!” She was quite a character.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
DavidCM
Steve

missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

WRT getting multiple offers online for something you’ve just bought, it used to really annoy me, but it makes me smile now to think that the algorithm can’t beat me - only follow me.
However, on YouTube it really bugs me - just because I want to watch a clip about bodybuilding or skyscrapers or how to make smoothies just to satisfy a curiosity doesn’t mean that I want to watch any more of this content going forwards...
And the voice recognition thing? I was chatting with a friend one evening about Denmark. She’d been as a student. Next morning up popped adverts for me about danish watches! I think my sales algorithm has become lazy ...

Finally I enjoy seeming randomness in these very sophisticated advertising / brainwashing systems - up has just popped an advert for me for some kind of tomato miracle grow. No idea! :lol:
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

As most of us on here are pretty savvy with regards to spam emails, this advice may seem superfluous.

But, never click on “unsubscribe” on an unknown email. This only confirms it is a valid address. Then the trouble starts :shock:
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSscooterthomcat00
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain