nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: The writing on dials

Post by nbg »

JAFO wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:27 pm
nbg wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:32 pm
JAFO wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:32 pm There is no superlative chronometer. It's either a chronometer or it's not.

It's like MIB 3, and Boris the Animal. "It's Just Boris". :D
:) Maybe a superlative chronometer is one that is far more accurate than a normal chronometer…

Neil
Well I expect the Swiss COSC organisation issue a single grade of COSC. Rolex appear to be self certifying their own made up category, from my on line searches. I wonder how long they guarantee the superlative performance. I am surprised the Swiss COSC allow their customers to piggy back their certification in this way.

It's like the holy grail of watch making, but I don't need the Rolex holy grail, as I already got one.:D
Rolex don’t self certify their own “made up” category.

They regulate the movements to tighter requirements than COSC and send the movements to COSC for certification.

This enables them to stick the word chronometer on the dial, as they have worked out this seems important to some. :)

Maybe they add the word superlative because the watch is tested again after the movement has been cased up. Something that is not a requirement of a watch being awarded a COSC bit of paper.

Perhaps they view a criteria of -2s to +2s per day as better than -4s to +6s.

IIRC they started sending the movements to COSC for certification in 1951 and in 1957 decided to add superlative, on the basis of the additional tests performed on the watch after the movements have been cased up.

Not sure how long they guarantee the superlative performance. I haven’t had occasion to put that to the test, although the watches seem to perform rather well, long after many brands tell the owner that their watch needs servicing.

I have recently been wearing one for almost 3 weeks, alternating with other watches. Over that period it had drifted to less than a cumulative 1 second fast. The watch is almost 8 years old. :)

I found a previous post, where I wore it for over 2 months…
nbg wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:59 pm Knowing how accurate a watch is also has its downsides!

I wore a watch last year, into this year (for at least part of every day, between 20 December and 2 March. At the point I got bored and stored it away it was running at a cumulative 0.5s cumulative fast, with negligible positional variation during the period. :)

Neil
I general I am ok with lots of dial text on a tool watch (providing none is positioned in a challenging way), but prefer minimal text on a dress watch.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:27 am (providing none is positioned in a challenging way)
I forgot to mention that I’m good with challenging ways:
8430A598-A179-42AC-8437-1300C6F9680D.jpeg
C8DDEC1E-8FE5-4201-8587-17B8C2F7DC0C.jpeg
And in terms of what is actually written on the dial I like having text there but even if it said ‘different’ things I wouldn’t mind. Here is an example of inspired dial text :
8DE1E357-95DA-41E3-B0DC-F82069A30551.jpeg
:lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 5):
NigelSstraplineJAFOthomcat00Greatpotfarm
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^ Isn't that just brilliant! Hand wash certified...love it. :lol: :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

I did say less is more, but historically accurate text in a lovely font, suitably placed…well…I make an exception for that.
IMG_0890.jpeg
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
ajax87Bahnstormer_vRS
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I like unusual fontage too. This one is also smiley, which I’d say is an added bonus

CDA1D6C1-A629-4A01-A473-561E7560DEFC.jpeg
Edit : I do normally think it reads Whitesnake at a glance :lol:
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

All this talk of dial text has reminded me of the comedy Tudor photo that regularly does the rounds on various watch sites.

IMG_1044.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 5):
missFajax87rkovarsthomcat00Greatpotfarm
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
OllyW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by OllyW »

I think after making the one above, Tudor had used up most of their ink leaving the Ranger to get off lightly. :lol:

IMG_5613.jpeg
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Greatpotfarm »

strapline wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:37 am @Amor Vincit Omnia To quote you, 'Brand name and/or logo, fine. I suppose you have to have Swiss Made at the bottom.'

. Although chronograph is a nice word and is watch specific, you don't see it cropping up elsewhere. It also only applies to only 6% of mechanical watches, thus lending the particular watch in question a certain cachet.

Des
Chronographs generally have pretty distinct dials that gives them away as such... with no words needed.
If a chronograph has 'chronograph' written on its already busy dial, to me, that is a little 'superlative'.

But you mean chronometer, right?
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post:
strapline
Dan
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Greatpotfarm wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:56 pm
strapline wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:37 am @Amor Vincit Omnia To quote you, 'Brand name and/or logo, fine. I suppose you have to have Swiss Made at the bottom.'

. Although chronograph is a nice word and is watch specific, you don't see it cropping up elsewhere. It also only applies to only 6% of mechanical watches, thus lending the particular watch in question a certain cachet.

Des
Chronographs generally have pretty distinct dials that gives them away as such... with no words needed.
If a chronograph has 'chronograph' written on its already busy dial, to me, that is a little 'superlative'.

But you mean chronometer, right?
That's a good spot, Dan, and at leat confirms that someone reads my posts. :lol: I think I've become a little taken up with chronographs of late. Yep, chronometer, it's a nice word, and like said in my op, it gives a watch a certain cachet.

Des
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@strapline A fair amount of the blame for any confusion can be laid on the shoulders of the French. They almost universally use the term “chronomètre” to mean “stopwatch” **. A Google search for “chronomètre en ligne” yields a variety of stopwatch tools.

They even have a verb… “Je vais te chronométrer” = “I’ll time you”. :roll:

**NB. The grandes maisons use “chronomètre” and “chronographe” as we do. It’s Jojo Le Public, aka Tartempion, who doesn’t.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
strapline
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Greatpotfarm »

Looking back @Amor Vincit Omnia , I do remember my confusion in regards to this terminology for some time after emigrating to the US. Even as a 12 year old, the term 'cronometru' was fairly well engrained in my mind, mainly from memories of being timed with the use of a very rare, and wonderful digital stopwatch in gym class...

One thing I find odd, is that 5 percent of mechanical watches are considered chronometer grade, while only .2 percent of quartz watches receive that same distinction... I was under the impression that most quartz time gages lose a couple seconds a month at most.... Might chronometer status have something to do with the ability to break down a second into 5ths or 6ths?
Dan
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Greatpotfarm wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:05 pm Looking back @Amor Vincit Omnia , I do remember my confusion in regards to this terminology for some time after emigrating to the US. Even as a 12 year old, the term 'cronometru' was fairly well engrained in my mind, mainly from memories of being timed with the use of a very rare, and wonderful digital stopwatch in gym class...

One thing I find odd, is that 5 percent of mechanical watches are considered chronometer grade, while only .2 percent of quartz watches receive that same distinction... I was under the impression that most quartz time gages lose a couple seconds a month at most.... Might chronometer status have something to do with the ability to break down a second into 5ths or 6ths?
The short answer is they are not graded to the same spec. CSOC has much stricter requirements for a quartz movement to be considered COSC. Most of the specs are around temperature and humidity variation.

For example:

Average daytime rate at 28C is +-0.07 s/d
Rate at 8C is +- 0.2 s/d
Rate stability is .05 s/d

Most quartz watches manufactured are at the low end. Thermocompensation etc can add significantly to the cost of a quartz movement. So you generally only see COSC certification for very high end quartz movements.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London