The stages of stew

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

The stages of stew

Post by jkbarnes »

I had to share my dinner tonight. I started it so that it was ready for my wife when she got home from visiting her parents on Cape Cod. So good!

63C60F2C-5216-4D64-AE88-CCC9485E47BB.jpeg
9B44FFEF-806A-4B73-B36F-1FD7AD527DD0.jpeg
9DE8FB93-9E03-45F4-8535-494BFA0B449D.jpeg
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: The stages of stew

Post by Viognier »

Stew is tasty as long as there are no EVIL Parsnips lurking !
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Viognier wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 am Stew is tasty as long as there are no EVIL Parsnips lurking !
No parsnips! Just potatoes, carrots, and onions.
Drew
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

Looks good! That brown color in the third pic suggests that you've got lots of good flavor packed in there. The girlfriend and I have been on a home made soup kick lately. Made beef goulash soup last week. Better get the stew in now. Stew weather is rapidly dwindling away!
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Add Dumplings and top with Curry powder, and that would be in my top 3 dinners.

Nice.....

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Looks delicious, Andrew. Pretty much what I make in the slow cooker. We always called it lobby where I came from, and it tends to be thinner than your stew – more like a soup.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 am Looks delicious, Andrew. Pretty much what I make in the slow cooker. We always called it lobby where I came from, and it tends to be thinner than your stew – more like a soup.
Beef stew and dumplings - the perfect comfort food on a cold winter's night. It does look good, Andrew.

Being a Londoner it's always been stew for me, but lobby is a phrase I am now familiar with, Steve, being exiled to Cheshire and working in Stoke. It is, I believe, a word used in the West Midlands and North West, although Liverpudlians refer to it as 'scouse' of course!
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
nburgess
Guru
Guru

Post by nburgess »

It's only 9am here in the UK, but that hasn't stopped me feeling hungry looking at this - and I would have no problem tucking into that right now! :-P
Neil
Amor Vincit Omnia

BobMunro wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:48 am Being a Londoner it's always been stew for me, but lobby is a phrase I am now familiar with, Steve, being exiled to Cheshire and working in Stoke. It is, I believe, a word used in the West Midlands and North West, although Liverpudlians refer to it as 'scouse' of course!
Absolutely right, Bob. Basically I do what Andrew did: browned beef and onions, stock, herbs and some potato and carrot. Optional pearl barley and dumplings later. It looks like Andrew cooked his in the oven or on the hob in a Le Creuset "marmite". I do mine in the slow cooker for convenience - about 5 hours.

For a change, marinate the beef for 24h in some dark Belgian ale such as Chimay, plenty of flour in the browning stage to thicken it a bit, use some of the marinade in your stock, and add a spoonful of Dijon mustard and a splash of decent wine vinegar and you have stoofvlees or carbonnade, the classic Flanders dish. Don't put potatoes in - serve with chips (fries - preferably Belgian ones!!)
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Looks delicious, Andrew. Pretty much what I make in the slow cooker. We always called it lobby where I came from, and it tends to be thinner than your stew – more like a soup.
Lobby?

Is that because you 'lob' in whatever you can find?

@jkbarnes - the sauce / gravy is as important as the meat, veg and slow cooking. Isn't it Andrew?

For beef a good glug of red wine with a couple of teaspoons of red currant jelly work wonders.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:09 am Lobby?

No. Apparently the name came from Northern Europe (Norway and Hanseatic Germany) where it was called Lapskaus or Labskaus. Popular with sailors, it was introduced and corrupted to Lobscouse in the Liverpool area, eventually becoming Scouse in Liverpool and Lobby in Lancashire and the Potteries.

I grew up in the Potteries. The Hyacinth Bucket brigade called it beef casserole - we called it Lobby.
Steve

downer

Post by downer »

Lobby? Never heard stew being called lobby - despite being a fairly local chap. Live, learn, forget, repeat.
Richard
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

BobMunro wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:48 am
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 am Looks delicious, Andrew. Pretty much what I make in the slow cooker. We always called it lobby where I came from, and it tends to be thinner than your stew – more like a soup.
Beef stew and dumplings - the perfect comfort food on a cold winter's night. It does look good, Andrew.

Being a Londoner it's always been stew for me, but lobby is a phrase I am now familiar with, Steve, being exiled to Cheshire and working in Stoke. It is, I believe, a word used in the West Midlands and North West, although Liverpudlians refer to it as 'scouse' of course!
Up in Liverpool it’s full name is ‘Lob-scouse’ originating in Norway and brought to the port by their sailors. Meat was an expensive commodity in poorer families, especially during the war. The stew would be made without meat and was known as ‘blind-scouse!’
PHIL
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:16 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:09 am Lobby?

No. Apparently the name came from Northern Europe (Norway and Hanseatic Germany) where it was called Lapskaus or Labskaus. Popular with sailors, it was introduced and corrupted to Lobscouse in the Liverpool area, eventually becoming Scouse in Liverpool and Lobby in Lancashire and the Potteries.

I grew up in the Potteries. The Hyacinth Bucket brigade called it beef casserole - we called it Lobby.
Just seen this...spot on Steve.👍
PHIL
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thanks gents.

Live and learn.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England