The Perfect Summer Hat ***NERD ALERT***

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: The Perfect Summer Hat ***NERD ALERT***

Post by Dickchins »

Being away from the forum for some time these old threads are new threads to me!!!

My summer cap was a gift from Andrew....
20230708_145652.jpg

I have a Hawkins headwear Ausi hat for walking the dog. Its old and battered, but spot on. (Bit like its owner).

In winter I wear Shoei or other bike beanies, but a few years ago I bought, what im told is a pretty rare beanie that was never sold or for sale...
I understand they were in the Chopard showroom as accessories on the displays and never sold....?
(This is where 10 people post pics of them and say they got them for £20!!!)

Its never seen a human head but its a very lovely quality item. When I was throwing cash at watches a couple of years ago, Chopard was high on my wish list so I bought the beanie whilst a bit under the influence one night!!!

20230708_150015.jpg
20230708_150006.jpg
These users thanked the author Dickchins for the post:
jkbarnes
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Dickchins wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:17 pm Being away from the forum for some time these old threads are new threads to me!!!

20230708_145652.jpg

I have a Hawkins headwear Ausi hat for walking the dog. Its old and battered, but spot on. (Bit like its owner).

In winter I wear Shoei or other bike beanies, but a few years ago I bought, what im told is a pretty rare beanie that was never sold or for sale...
I understand they were in the Chopard showroom as accessories on the displays and never sold....?

Its never seen a human head but its a very lovely quality item. When I was throwing cash at watches a couple of years ago, Chopard was high on my wish list so I bought the beanie whilst a bit under the influence one night!!!

20230708_150015.jpg20230708_150006.jpg
You are Prince Harry and I claim my £5. :D
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

JAFO wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:18 pm
Dickchins wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:17 pm Being away from the forum for some time these old threads are new threads to me!!!

20230708_145652.jpg

20230708_150015.jpg20230708_150006.jpg
You are Prince Harry and I claim my £5. :D

:lol:
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I’ve brought my Jack Wolfskin hat away with me, it has the bonus of rolling flat to pack it in the suitcase so I don’t have to wear it on the flight.

IMG_0542.jpeg
IMG_0543.jpeg
IMG_0544.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 4):
jkbarneswelshladAmor Vincit OmniaStif
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@jkbarnes Whilst the NLRI is a fantastic cause, Drew, bucket type hats do nothing for me. They just don’t look right on my head.

@iain I do like the idea of your highly collapsible hat, though I think the brim would be a bit too narrow for my tastes. I might pop into Cotswold and have a look to see if they have them, then I would get a better idea. I really prefer broad brimmed hats, so the Panama style I favour is perfect for me.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:49 am @jkbarnes Whilst the NLRI is a fantastic cause, Drew, bucket type hats do nothing for me. They just don’t look right on my head.
I won’t disagree with you there. As I mentioned, I bought it primarily because of the sweet little old ladies. We’ll see how much I actually wear it. Because I’m bringing it with me to the Cape doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll be wearing it on the Cape.

I do like the idea of your highly collapsible hat…
Speaking of “bringing a hat doesn’t mean I’ll wear a hat,” I brought a Panama hat with me to Wales that I wound up never wearing. I thought I’d ruined it when I rolled it up for packing. I had assumed it was rollable, that is until I unrolled it! Turns out it was, indeed, rollable. It just need a bit of time to spring back into shape.

It wasn’t nearly as packable as @iain’s hat though. I’ve looked for Iain’s hat. I don’t think it’s available any more.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:10 am It wasn’t nearly as packable as @iain’s hat though. I’ve looked for Iain’s hat. I don’t think it’s available any more.
I think you may be right. I looked on the Jack Wolfskin site and saw it not.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:41 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:10 am It wasn’t nearly as packable as @iain’s hat though. I’ve looked for Iain’s hat. I don’t think it’s available any more.
I think you may be right. I looked on the Jack Wolfskin site and saw it not.
I looked for it the first time he posted pics of that hat. I really like a trilby style hat like that. I think the dimensions suits my face. I also feel a bit self-conscious a Panama hat.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@jkbarnes

Top notch on supporting the RNLI Drew, they do wonderful work and have saved many lives over the years, even though your purchased attire is questionable.

Do let us know how effective it is in a storm.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
jkbarnes
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:05 pm I looked for it the first time he posted pics of that hat. I really like a trilby style hat like that. I think the dimensions suits my face. I also feel a bit self-conscious a Panama hat.
Horses for courses, I guess. In summer the only hats I feel comfortable with are Panamas and baseball type caps. In winter it’s either beanie/ski type hats or fedoras.

I’ve tried flat caps, baggy caps, buckets, trilbies, and those cricket hats with the floppy brims. And I don’t like those hats with cords that fasten under your chin. I just find that I look a complete prat in any of those.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:20 pm ……….I just find that I look a complete prat in any of those.
That’s right, blame it on the hat……
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:29 am That’s right, blame it on the hat……
:lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, I find 90% of looking good in a hat (other than a ball cap) is simply having the confidence to wear it! I just spent a not insignificant sum on a French made wool beret that will likely only be worn in front of a mirror in my house because I’ll be too insecure to confidently to wear it out :lol: Pretty pathetic…
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Stif
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:37 am On a serious note, I find 90% of looking good in a hat (other than a ball cap) is simply having the confidence to wear it!
At first I thought you’d made a very good point with your post.
jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:37 am I just spent a not insignificant sum on a French made wool beret……

But then you did go on to show there’s an exception to every rule………

Can I just double check we are still on the hat thread and not strayed into the “What were you drinking” thread?
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:37 am
iain wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:29 am That’s right, blame it on the hat……

On a serious note, I find 90% of looking good in a hat (other than a ball cap) is simply having the confidence to wear it! I just spent a not insignificant sum on a French made wool beret that will likely only be worn in front of a mirror in my house because I’ll be too insecure to confidently to wear it out :lol: Pretty pathetic…
Apologies Drew, I couldn't help myself.
Screenshot_20230711_004156_Google~2.jpg
Regards Steve
Selling
CW C8 Revival

CW 12 Glacier Blue
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:43 am But then you did go on to show there’s an exception to every rule………

Can I just double check we are still on the hat thread and not strayed into the “What were you drinking” thread?

magicman wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:44 am Apologies Drew, I couldn't help myself.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well played, Steve! :clap: :clap: :clap:

That pic will not help me make it out of the house! :lol:
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
magicman
Drew