The Perfect Summer Hat ***NERD ALERT***

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: The Perfect Summer Hat ***NERD ALERT***

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:18 pm ATTENTION ALL HAT PEOPLE...
Please take care!
If you find the perfect summer hat please try and choose one from a well established company that will have a long production run.
To find the perfect summer hat, wear it out through continued use, then not be able to replace it like for like would be DISASTER! :D
Haha! This is brilliant! :lol:
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:24 pm That is why when you find a good one you buy two or three! A couple for backup!
I’ve done this many times with other items, just not hats…yet.
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

Murphy20 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:12 pm I do like that Jack Wolfskin hat, I might have to pick one of those up if still available.

+1 for Tilley also 👍
Still available

https://www.jack-wolfskin.co.uk/travel- ... 0_003.html

Strangely that page says it’s a women’s foldaway travel hat but the model wearing it in the photos is male. It wasn’t sold as a women’s hat back when I bought mine a few years ago.

It also appears in the men’s hat section on the Jack Wolfskin site so I assume it’s unisex.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Murphy20
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:18 pm ATTENTION ALL HAT PEOPLE...
Please take care!
If you find the perfect summer hat please try and choose one from a well established company that will have a long production run.
To find the perfect summer hat, wear it out through continued use, then not be able to replace it like for like would be DISASTER! :D
Don’t suggest to Andrew he buys extras until he’s sure. He’s likely to end up with 18 unworn hats instead 6 that way.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:30 pm Don’t suggest to Andrew he buys extras until he’s sure. He’s likely to end up with 18 unworn hats instead 6 that way.
I’ll note for the record that every single hat I included in this thread gets worn with some regularity, it’s just that none are “The One.” Now the other two dozen or so ball caps in my closet? Yeah, maybe they don’t get worn so much. And I probably threw out another dozen hats just a few weeks ago! They were mostly freebies given away as promotional items at baseball games.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
iain
Drew
Murphy20
Senior
Senior

Post by Murphy20 »

iain wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:26 pm
Murphy20 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:12 pm I do like that Jack Wolfskin hat, I might have to pick one of those up if still available.

+1 for Tilley also 👍
Still available

https://www.jack-wolfskin.co.uk/travel- ... 0_003.html

Strangely that page says it’s a women’s foldaway travel hat but the model wearing it in the photos is male. It wasn’t sold as a women’s hat back when I bought mine a few years ago.

It also appears in the men’s hat section on the Jack Wolfskin site so I assume it’s unisex.
Perfect, thank you. Online order incoming!
Selfhood begins with a walking away, and love is proved in the letting go.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

nburgess wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:22 am This thread has piqued my interest.
As someone who is follicly challenged, it's something I'm wanting to find more and more these days.
BUT, I have a head that just does not suit hats. Certainly not baseball caps, which tends to be my hat of choice and I've yet to find/settle on one which I think suits me. I've yet to purchase a fedora or cricket type hat, tried them on in shops, but again, they never suit me.
Off to Cyprus next week and will need to take something.
Oh the pressure 8-[
I have the opposite problem; I am follicly unchallenged, indeed I missed my last haircut due to a last minute business trip, so now I have an uncontrollable mop on my head. Strong black hair, it does it’s own thing, until it goes under a hat. The bits that the hat struggles to contain flap about in the wind, but the unveiling some time later reveals a terrible case of topside hat-hair. Flat, shaped around my head, like it has been glued down….

Other than that, some great hats in the posts above!
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
nburgess
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

When I saw the pics I had to double take as thought all your caps had integral leather ear protectors sewn in. 😆😁
I like the Wolfskin travel hat but suspect my long head wouldn't suit (yes the head not suiting the hat rather than vice versa).
I find great differences in suitability of caps, wrong contour for head shape and its a disaster.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

iain wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:04 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:34 pm That’s funny. Usually the hat I see overseas is a Yankees hat, and I hate the Yankees! Europeans tend to wear Yankees hats like Americans wear Manchester United stuff. It’s also funny they assumed you knew baseball just because of the hat. :lol:
And that’s why I don’t wear a Yankees hat, my other baseball caps from American Sports teams are a Mets cap, A St Louis Blues cap and a North Carolina Tar Heels cap.
That’s quite the collection of sports teams.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:44 am
iain wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:04 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:34 pm That’s funny. Usually the hat I see overseas is a Yankees hat, and I hate the Yankees! Europeans tend to wear Yankees hats like Americans wear Manchester United stuff. It’s also funny they assumed you knew baseball just because of the hat. :lol:
And that’s why I don’t wear a Yankees hat, my other baseball caps from American Sports teams are a Mets cap, A St Louis Blues cap and a North Carolina Tar Heels cap.
That’s quite the collection of sports teams.
The common theme might be the color blue! :lol:
Drew
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Andrew, thank you for sharing your hat adventure. It made me smile.

I have quite a few hats, primarily for function over form. After radiation therapy to the noggin, the doctor's orders were to always wear a hat when in the daylight. I tend to favor baseball caps made of moisture wicking fabrics. My favorite still looks good after 6 or 7 years.

For Father's Day I was given a Mission brand hat that is meant to be wetted and the cools one's head as the water evaporates. It does seem to have a cooling affect.

When I know I will be in the sun for an extended period of time, I choose to wear a boonie hat because of its wide 360 degree bill.
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post:
jkbarnes
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Leon O wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:01 am Andrew, thank you for sharing your hat adventure. It made me smile.

When I know I will be in the sun for an extended period of time, I choose to wear a boonie hat because of its wide 360 degree bill.
The boonie hat is a solid choice for sun protection! I have one from high school that I still wear when it’s snowing. The wide bill offers perfect protection from both sun and snow. The woodland camo pattern means it’s not a good choice for daily wear.
Drew
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i'm 98% baseball cap (generally washington nats or a baseball ninja hat), but occasionally i'll break out a bucket hat (especially when diving) or, if i'm being fancier, either one of my two pork pie hats or my panama hat.
These users thanked the author gwells for the post:
jkbarnes
the "g" is for Greg...
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:49 am
NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:44 am That’s quite the collection of sports teams.
The common theme might be the color blue! :lol:

There isn’t really any thought gone into it. I bought the Red Sox hat in Boston because I wanted a hat and was in Boston....

A friend went to New York and offered to bring me back a hat to replace my faded Red Sox hat a few years later. I didn’t want a Yankees hat as everyone over here seemed to have one, I asked for a Mets one instead.

My wife went on an all expenses paid conference to Florida many years ago and brought me the North Carolina hat back. I don’t think even she knows why she picked that one in the shop, I know nothing about the college of their teams.

The St Louis blues hat was bought for their logo and no other reason. I liked the flying music note.

I haven’t bought any of these because I follow the teams or even the sport. The only US sport I follow is NFL, I do like Ice Hockey though and can happily watch a game. Baseball on the other hand is something I just don’t get. I suppose you need to have been brought up with it to fully appreciate.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Yesterday’s hat shot on the beach. Two young children, four adults.
66FFC7EA-E66A-466A-AE94-60EF4DD9B478.jpeg
My hats of choice are the Tilley hemp hat, or the fold and stick in pocket baseballish style one.

Not bothered how they look, providing they cover my bonce and shade my eyes in sunny weather. :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
jkbarnes
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK