The Deepest Breath

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

The Deepest Breath

Post by strapline »

This is a 1hr 50min film currently doing the rounds on Netflix for those on the forum that subscribe. It's a really engaging story about free diving (holding your breath and swimming down to crazy depths, over 100mtrs, and returning on the same single breath). It's also the story of a man and woman meeting and establishing a deep bond/perhaps more through the endeavour. It's really well made with a lot of drama, particularly the shallow water blackouts and the gripping ending. For fans of the Nims Purja '14 Peaks' doc, this is another big adrenalin dose. It's an opportunity to pull on those dive watches and feel part of the fraternity. :lol: :lol:

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 6):
JAFOjkbarnesnbgViognierStifBahnstormer_vRS
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: The Deepest Breath

Post by TheBeatles »

This was recommended to us and we watched last weekend.

It was as good as I had hoped. Bit slow at times!!

I didn’t have a dive watch on tho, so maybe that was the problem.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesstrapline
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I'm halfway through the semi-comedy about the woman going on the hiking trip. I'll watch this one next, I think. Thanks for the recommendation. :D
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

This is the second recommendation I’ve seen. I’ll check it out. Thanks!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
strapline
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

TheBeatles wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:53 am This was recommended to us and we watched last weekend.

Yeah, there were a couple of slower moments, but all in all I thought there was plenty of drama. PS. when watching anything of an aquatic nature diving wrist adornment is de rigueur. Snorkels and masks may be considered OTT. :lol:

Des
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:56 pm This is the second recommendation I’ve seen. I’ll check it out. Thanks!
I found it very entertaining, Drew. Pull out a cigar and an old fashioned. :clap:

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
jkbarnes
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

TheBeatles wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:53 am This was recommended to us and we watched last weekend.

Sorry, Des

I didn’t check my post. I meant to say it WASN’T as good as I had hoped.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

strapline wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:50 am This is a 1hr 50min film currently doing the rounds on Netflix for those on the forum that subscribe…
That’s was quite interesting. What a fascinating sport. The one detail that struck me (and stuck with me) was the one about water pressure compressing the lungs to the size of a fist. How on earth does one dive so deep when that happens?! I can barely process the reality of diving deep, whether a free dive or scuba. It puts the 600 meters of the C60 into perspective!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
straplinerkovars
Drew
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

This is on my 'to watch' list, I'll need to see if my wife fancies watching it with me though as sounds like something she'd enjoy too.
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:08 pm
strapline wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:50 am This is a 1hr 50min film currently doing the rounds on Netflix for those on the forum that subscribe…
That’s was quite interesting. What a fascinating sport. The one detail that struck me (and stuck with me) was the one about water pressure compressing the lungs to the size of a fist. How on earth does one dive so deep when that happens?! I can barely process the reality of diving deep, whether a free dive or scuba. It puts the 600 meters of the C60 into perspective!
Yeah, the pressure/volume relationship is crazy. Any non solid airspace is compressible. If you took a beachball down to 100mtrs it would be a tenth of the size it is on the surface. Now imagine the sub that recently imploded visiting Titanic, it experienced 300atm's of pressure PSI. When a hairline crack appears in the hull you can imagine what happens, and how fast.

I liked the accompanying story too about how two quite different people came together and found happiness with each other. He had been very nomadic as if searching for something. It's a real shame events ended as they did.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
jkbarnes