The Curry Thread

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

The Curry Thread

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Our local Indian restaurant has a section on the menu called Old Favourites.

Puts me in mind of student days – chicken Dhansak, pilau rice, chapati and a pint of lager!

I pretty much had that as a takeaway tonight and it was rather good!

I have never been able to tolerate the really hot curries. I remember one night at uni two of my friends decided to have a Phal eating contest! The first to take a drink was required to pay for the meal – I went along as referee and sat quietly eating my Bhuna and thinking what a pair of immature t*ssers they were! (Don't get me wrong, fine if you like it but they were both suffering!) :lol:

Do you folks enjoy a good old Ruby? What are your favourites?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: The Curry Thread

Post by Tyke »

Our local Indian restaurant does a mean Beef Shahi Tukra (not the bread pudding), not overly hot but spicy, laden with peppers and topped with battered onion rings - always on my order list when we have a take away evening with friends.
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

Nothing to hot for me... I do like a chicken dopiaza or jalfrezi if I'm feeling adventurous...:)
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

King Prawn and Chicken Tikka Dhansak with Keema Rice is my usual nosh, but occasionally I have a Naga for a nice change. The Naga is about as hot as I like to go.

The best curry I have ever had is Peshwari Chicken from Chesham tandoori. - I have tried the same meal at countless other restaurants but no other one comes close to the old Chesham Tandoori!

We quite often eat at Benares in Barclay square and the food is extremely palatable if a little expensive.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Love 'em, but not the really hot ones. Lamb Rogan Josh and Chicken Tikka Masala are my faves, along with a nice Peshwari Naan.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
JAG
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

The Curry Thread

Post by JAG »

The only curry for me is Adrian Curry sorry to drag the thread down lol http://gonetworth.com/wp-content/upload ... worth2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My spelling & Grammar stinks i no you don't have to PM me to Explain ! :-)
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Must add that quite often at our local restaurant, I just ask the chef to make something up. He knows how hot I like to go and the result is always tasty (even if I have no idea what it actually is!!!)

If you are a regular at your local restaurant, it is always worth asking, as you can discover new tasted.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

It's one of my favourite dishes . I like all of them , from mild korma to hot vindaloo . :thumbup:
Bernie
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I'm out. Don't do hot and/or spicy. :problem:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I too am a curry lover, preferably quite hot but not at the top end of the scale :hot: . Chicken Dhansak or Jalfrezi probably my favourites although of course they vary in spice restaurant to restaurant. Perfect with some peshwari nan, washed down with a pint of cold Cobra.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

welshlad wrote:Love 'em, but not the really hot ones. Lamb Rogan Josh and Chicken Tikka Masala are my faves, along with a nice Peshwari Naan.
^^^wot he said - with dal^^^
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Prawn Tikka Massala with Mushroom Rice and a couple of Cobras.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

I like flavour spice rather than burn the roof of your mouth off spice. A bit of heat is just fine.
Sadly Poppydoodlesmum and her whole family don't do hot so when we get a takeaway it's a madras and five kormas!

What a waste!

Sent from my GuyPhone using ****
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by bspj »

You could afford curries, while at Oxford?
My word!

Then again I went to Uni* on the edge of the Brummagem Balti Belt......and already knew all the curry houses from my working life.

*at 25, having been a solja......
Steve
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I am a real fan of curry and it wasn't until I moved to Birmingham to study that I discovered decent curries, albeit some of the time was spent eating 'meat balti', with no indication what the meat was and table nan, breads the size of the table, in the balti houses around Sparkbrook and Erdington. I remember an evening with friends in Mr Shah's, somewhere in the city centre and discovered when I asked a taxi driver where he and his friends ate, where one of the chaps asked for the hottest curry. While chowing down on my vindaloo and mushroom rice, my friend sampled his dish and sent it back, saying it wasn't hot enough. He was roundly berated for being a rude show-off and what came back looked evil and lava-like, with Mr Shah leaving the table with a grin. Unsurprisingly my friend went quiet and just about finished half of the dish before proclaiming he was done. I tried a mouthful and instantly regretted it!

Nowadays, for a treat and to save cooking time, we select biryani or korma for the kids, vegetable shashlick for my newly vegetarian partner and dansak or jalfrezi for me, along with an always varying arrangement of sides. I enjoy cooking Indian food, particularly dals and love how the preparation of spices and curry base have the kitchen smelling exotic.