Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: Stuff of the seventies

Post by AliBar »

For a watch forum, I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned the LED watch. In the late 70's (78 or 79) I remember badgering for one as a Christmas present only to be told "if Santa brings you one of those, you wont be getting anything else !".... they were still relatively expensive. Then there was the issue of running the battery down in literally weeks by constantly pressing the buttons under the bedclothes at night. This was space age for a very early teenager.
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

We had one of these in the seventies. Seems they’re still going strong :D

398FD130-31BB-4AAA-9AEB-AA3DBD9C3C00.jpeg
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Another image from back then - the test card was used on TV for 40 years, from 1967. This Wikipedia article will tell you more than you ever wanted to know:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Card_F

0DD60304-62E1-4334-BD3B-58287F07F116.jpeg
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

AliBar wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:41 pm For a watch forum, I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned the LED watch. In the late 70's (78 or 79) I remember badgering for one as a Christmas present only to be told "if Santa brings you one of those, you wont be getting anything else !".... they were still relatively expensive. Then there was the issue of running the battery down in literally weeks by constantly pressing the buttons under the bedclothes at night. This was space age for a very early teenager.
The first Pulsar in '72 retailed for $2100 ($14702 in 2022 dollars). Of course it had an 18 karat gold case. To put this in perspective an 18 karat Sub from the same period retailed for $2000 (keep in mind a no date stainless Sub was like $230). Stainless Pulsar models sold for around $1500.

By the late 70's other people had entered the LED watch game and prices came way down.

With the release of Star Wars in 1977 came some of the best run of toys ever produced, IMO. I spent many hours over Christmas break 1977 reenacting epic space battles!
20181206_122213673_iOS.jpg
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
Chris375thomcat00
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

AliBar wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:41 pm For a watch forum, I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned the LED watch. In the late 70's (78 or 79) I remember badgering for one as a Christmas present only to be told "if Santa brings you one of those, you wont be getting anything else !".... they were still relatively expensive. Then there was the issue of running the battery down in literally weeks by constantly pressing the buttons under the bedclothes at night. This was space age for a very early teenager.
Oh, yes, the digital watch era. I was 8 when I got my first watch, a Texas Instruments LED, in 1977. I posted elsewhere here about it. I had the watch for years before “upgrading” to LCD when I was about 11 or so.

post954149.html#p954149
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
rkovars
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels yet! Who else had this? My brother and I had hours of fun with it.

IMG_7891.jpeg

And speaking of cars, surely some members had this the Corgi Aston Martin.

IMG_7892.jpeg

And one of my favorites, Britons toy soldiers! They weren’t easy to find here. Sadly, I let my son play with these when he was young, and they took a beating. I’m not even sure where the army Jeep has gotten off to.

IMG_7893.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
rkovars
Drew
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

Anyone remember "Clackers". Essentially two solid plastic testicles on a string that you attempted to make collide "over and under" by jiggling them together. Quite often seen hanging from telegraph wires following an over enthusiastic success or in the bin after you returned from A&E after having a broken wrist plaster casted.
Attachments
Clackers.jpg
These users thanked the author AliBar for the post (total 2):
rkovarsSoporsche
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

AliBar wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:15 am Anyone remember "Clackers".
No! But wow :lol: If you hadn’t posted a picture I’d have accused you of making this up! Must have been created as an educational toy by radical feminists!
I’m also thinking of gauchos using them to bring down prey